Tesla opens order book

Want a Tesla HGV you can now ask your firm to order you one. Me i don’t think
they will ever be on the roads of Europe to long. Think the other manufacturers
will kick up a fuss.

commercialmotor.com/news/pr … -uk-buyers

you risk that a battery pack cost as much as the truck

I think that electric trucks could do some urban work but not fully freighted distance stuff.

alamcculloch:
I think that electric trucks could do some urban work but not fully freighted distance stuff.

What is it they say about opinions?

Sorry, look I know forums are the place for opinions, but it states that it has a 500 mile range. At the limited 56 mph that’s your 9 hour limit ready for it to be charged again. So I think Elon would respectfully argue with you that they are only suitable for local work.

stu675:
Sorry, look I know forums are the place for opinions, but it states that it has a 500 mile range. At the limited 56 mph that’s your 9 hour limit ready for it to be charged again. So I think Elon would respectfully argue with you that they are only suitable for local work.

500 mile range more like 350 I’m betting.
425 maybe if its just motorways.

But still, pretty good.
Might be 500 mile range in perfect conditions with a full load of popcorn.

stu675:

alamcculloch:

The maths.
That a litre of diesel contains around 12 kWh.
An EV at best is only 60% more fuel efficient than an ICE.
EV batteries only provide around 1 kWh per 40 kgs of battery weight.
EV charging costs are already around up to 50p per kWh obviously not including road fuel taxes.
Is all fact not opinion.

How much does a similar diesel truck cost?

‘‘Tesla has begun to take deposits for the Semi electric tractor unit.’’

Interesting description that.
Hybrid?

Juddian:

Hybrid?

Semi is in “Sem-eye” - American for artic?

Muddy K:

Juddian:

Hybrid?

Quite possibly, the devil is always in the detail with these things, just be interested to see if that machine can cope with a days work fully freighted at UK max limit (36 tons is mentioned re rate of acceleration in the short blurb) on normal UK roads.
If its rated for 44 tons sits on 3 axles and the tractor weighs under 10 tons then its a game changer, assuming it can be recharged back at base in 10 hours or so.

You may find they are not intended for long haul, same as a refuse truck isn’t, but then again a 44t doesn’t suit refuse collection, but no doubt thye have their place in the market
If they end up anything like the EV cars, maintenance is radically reduced!!!

Pretty sure they’ve been taking deposits for a WHILE. I made a mock thread about it many months ago

Muddy K:

Juddian:

Hybrid?

Definitely that is what they mean.

Acorn:
You may find they are not intended for long haul, same as a refuse truck isn’t, but then again a 44t doesn’t suit refuse collection, but no doubt thye have their place in the market
If they end up anything like the EV cars, maintenance is radically reduced!!!

No chance in hell that they are not designed for distance work. The only shortcoming could be 80,000lbs ( the American limit) is quite a bit short of 44T. But I reckon it will be rated for 44T here.

Juddian:
Quite possibly, the devil is always in the detail with these things, just be interested to see if that machine can cope with a days work fully freighted at UK max limit (36 tons is mentioned re rate of acceleration in the short blurb) on normal UK roads.
If its rated for 44 tons sits on 3 axles and the tractor weighs under 10 tons then its a game changer, assuming it can be recharged back at base in 10 hours or so.

No surprise the narrative laughably avoids the unladen weight of the thing.
An artic is the worst possible configuration bearing in mind the only ‘game changer’ is the energy density of batteries compared to a tank of diesel.
In which case it’s the Scandinavian type drawbar outfit, at 65t gross, with the prime mover being dedicated to the locomotive role only, which would be the only logical game changer for electric trucks.

stu675:
No chance in hell that they are not designed for distance work. The only shortcoming could be 80,000lbs ( the American limit) is quite a bit short of 44T. But I reckon it will be rated for 44T here.

Provide some battery capacity and weight figures to back the claim.Bearing in mind the plan for rail clearly states no long haul role for trucks.

stu675:

alamcculloch:

Like bum holes, we all have one, am I correct?

adam277:

stu675:

But still, pretty good.
Might be 500 mile range in perfect conditions with a full load of popcorn.

Or toilet rolls. What happens when the battery pack is two years old and has lost twenty per cent of capacity? Lets see what happens in the next ten years.

alamcculloch:

More likely the other way round, Motorways are not the best for putting charge back into the batteries.