Needing Wife’s ok to do a night out

A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
Now for some back ground ,
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy
What would you do with said driver ?

blue estate:
A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy

Would be laughed out the door in any normal firm

chester1:

blue estate:

Would be laughed out the door in any normal firm

Us the workers laugh and are amazed by him

Unable to do the job he`s been employed to do,needs to be careful his Boss would in his rights to P45 him

Does it matter what his Missus says?

If his contract of employment says “nights out as required” and he refuses such…then surely he is in breach and liable for disciplinary action.

Firstly what business is it of yours what he does or how he does it? Let’s get that one out of the way as it does not really affect any of you in any way unless it creates a problem with your job. Worry about yourselves and not what other people are doing or not doing.

Secondly nighting out is a choice the driver should make not the company, unless you have agreed to night out then you should not be expected to night out except for absolute emergencies where you have genuinely run out of time due an accident or the like.

I would certainly refuse to night out for the companies benefit when you are not a tramper or don’t do night’s out. But would do it if it was absolutely neccesary and I could not make it back to base due to accident hold ups etc. I would never not give myself enough driving time to get back to the yard even if that means abandoning a drop or 2 to make it back.

It is up to the driver to ensure he has planned his day accordingly to allow time to drive back not the company. It is down the to driver to decide when he pulls out of a place he’s been waiting at too long again not the company.

Frankly his own life and issues are his problem to deal with and I would not be interested one iota what his family life is like unless it directly affects me with the job.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Does it matter what his Missus says?

If his contract of employment says “nights out as required” and he refuses such…then surely he is in breach and liable for disciplinary action.

A contract could say nights out as required but I’m fairly certain a company would have no grounds to fire you for not being able to do night’s out. There could be a multitude of reasons a driver can’t night out. In his case diabetic for a start, although he should always have his diabetic medication with him at all times. An employer cannot force you to stay away from home and sleep in a truck, they can request you do and you can equally agree or decline. That’s my take on it anyway.

Too many people are far too willing to do anything a company asks you to do these days and is one of the reasons for how bad this industry is. Drivers working 13 and 15 hour days because they don’t have a spine, or because they want to go “ooh look how much I earn a week” but don’t tell people how many hours they had to work for it.

Mind I missed the bit where you said he is employed and a tramper. Although not sure how he can be employed as a tramper yet do night’s out as and when required. It’s one or the other. Either you’re a tramper and mostly night out several nights a week or you’re a day driver that may be required to night out occasionally. Can’t be both.

simcor:
Firstly what business is it of yours what he does or how he does it? Let’s get that one out of the way as it does not really affect any of you in any way unless it creates a problem with your job. Worry about yourselves and not what other people are doing or not doing.

Secondly nighting out is a choice the driver should make not the company, unless you have agreed to night out then you should not be expected to night out except for absolute emergencies where you have genuinely run out of time due an accident or the like.

I would certainly refuse to night out for the companies benefit when you are not a tramper or don’t do night’s out. But would do it if it was absolutely neccesary and I could not make it back to base due to accident hold ups etc. I would never not give myself enough driving time to get back to the yard even if that means abandoning a drop or 2 to make it back.

It is up to the driver to ensure he has planned his day accordingly to allow time to drive back not the company. It is down the to driver to decide when he pulls out of a place he’s been waiting at too long again not the company.

Frankly his own life and issues are his problem to deal with and I would not be interested one iota what his family life is like unless it directly affects me with the job.

You didn’t read my post properly then did you ? And I see you’re a Day driver so you can’t compare your day to ours ,
He was employed on the understanding there would be nights out as required (as I wrote )
As for affecting others at work , yes it does when we’re a small close team of 8 drivers and 4 others , as it puts the TM in a bad mood
Also we don’t just drive a truck , we also help devan boxes and load or unload other trucks
Also both times he could have run for a few hours and still had 11 off and started at a more civilised time

When it comes to putting the TM in a bad mood then it does affect me thus it my business

blue estate:

simcor:

You didn’t read my post properly then did you ? And I see you’re a Day driver so you can’t compare your day to ours ,
He was employed on the understanding there would be nights out as required (as I wrote )
As for affecting others at work , yes it does when we’re a small close team of 8 drivers and 4 others , as it puts the TM in a bad mood
Also we don’t just drive a truck , we also help devan boxes and load or unload other trucks
Also both times he could have run for a few hours and still had 11 off and started at a more civilised time

When it comes to putting the TM in a bad mood then it does affect me thus it my business

Then maybe you all need to take a look at who you work for and work for a better company. If it puts the TM in a bad mood because he needs to do his job and resolve issues, that is what he gets paid for. He certainly should not be taking his frustrations out on other drivers that’s for sure.

I am not saying the guy is in the right or wrong, just pointing out I worry about me and what I’m doing not what someone else is doing or not doing. Even if it affects me I still only worry about me and my day not everyone else’s.

As I said above he can’t be a tramper and or required to do night’s out as required. It’s either one or the other. A tramper is someone who mainly nights out so would be at least once a week but more like every night.

Also it’s not uncommon to be messed around and sent to do other jobs someone else was supposed to be doing, in this industry it happens all the time.

blue estate:

I’d mind my own business, do my own job and crack on with life without fretting about what others are up to.

Hope this helps.

For me when I was tramping, I was tramping in the knowledge I would be provided with work planned to keep me out all week.

It sounds like he’s on ad-hoc nights out “as required” like I was in my old job, in which case the company wants to hold all the cards and drop a night out at the last minute for their benefit.

I used to say no to them too despite them being mentioned in the contract. I operated a “ask me to night out tomorrow, no problem. Ask me to stay out half way through my day today (normally to cover for either greed or planning ineptitude) and the answer is no” with the reason being that I also make plans based around work. I’d leave it all up the “workers” or creeps as I used to call them.

But yeah the salient point is I never fretted about others about anything, all doings a bit bitchy to me, like a load of old fish wives gathering for a gossip, so subservient to the boss who has the job of sorting it out but somehow doesn’t… wouldn’t want him to be in a “bad mood” ffs while he’s sat at home. If he’s that on the knife edge should he be a TM.

toonsy:

blue estate:

I’d mind my own business, do my own job and crack on with life without fretting about what others are up to.

Hope this helps.

Succinct and the main point I was trying to get across. Too many drivers are far too interested in what other drivers do.

simcor:

toonsy:

blue estate:

Hope this helps.

Succinct and the main point I was trying to get across. Too many drivers are far too interested in what other drivers do.

Sorry I edited more in afterwards :blush:

toonsy:

simcor:

toonsy:

blue estate:

Hope this helps.

Sorry I edited more in afterwards :blush:

And I totally agree with your additions as well.

Again the points I was also trying to get across.

simcor:

toonsy:

blue estate:

Hope this helps.

Exactly that. Some at our spot are much more interested in what other drivers are doing, than what they have been given to do themselves.

I prefer to just sit under radar and keep a low profile. Would send myself potty wondering , and getting worked up over what other
drivers have on all the time!

Every single place I’ve worked at has had drivers who require special treatment, drivers who require their hands held, drivers who are deliberately obstructive and drivers who make a mountain out of a molehill. Tbh and as a driver who is capable of doing my job without requiring any office input I actually appreciate these ■■■■■ wetters because they not only make me look better, but more importantly they allow me to take certain liberties such as parking up after six hours work because I’ve found a country pub that I like the look of, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I don’t really care how they perform or what they do.

As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I don’t really care how they perform or what they do. quote maoster…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this all the time, i’ve worked at places with the gossips and downright useless but as above dont affect me ,dont care… simples… :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

the maoster:
As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I

This^^^
Although doing someone else’s share of Friday nights out,boils my ■■■■.
Bloke at my last place…had it down to a fine art.
Down the road mon-thur…and done for dinner on Friday.
Bit him on the arse in the end though.
When word got out,he was trying to get on with my current employer,he was well and truly" black balled"

the maoster:
Every single place I’ve worked at has had drivers who require special treatment, drivers who require their hands held, drivers who are deliberately obstructive and drivers who make a mountain out of a molehill. Tbh and as a driver who is capable of doing my job without requiring any office input I actually appreciate these ■■■■■ wetters because they not only make me look better, but more importantly they allow me to take certain liberties such as parking up after six hours work because I’ve found a country pub that I like the look of, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I don’t really care how they perform or what they do.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It does companies good to get a few plonkers/wreckers, if you have a fully competent workforce guvnors get carried away with the idea that all drivers are like that, then they start to assume theres a never ending supply of A1 people out there so don’t need to up the terms and conditions.
They make the average Joes like us look brilliant, company leave us alone to get on with the job never questioning routes or anything so long as the job is done and the customer happy, all adds to your job security.

Juddian:

the maoster:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It does companies good to get a few plonkers/wreckers, if you have a fully competent workforce guvnors get carried away with the idea that all drivers are like that, then they start to assume theres a never ending supply of A1 people out there so don’t need to up the terms and conditions.
They make the average Joes like us look brilliant, company leave us alone to get on with the job never questioning routes or anything so long as the job is done and the customer happy, all adds to your job security.

Well Thursday he was told to be at Dudley 7am sharp to deliver new shelving for a store refit , so 7:30 is late and the customer is one of those who’s on the phone if the delivery is 5 mins late
I spent most of the morning at an ERT’s yard then rushed up to Mini as the line had stopped waiting for the parts