Doubleman Trunk

Hi, after a bit of advice from any of you guys that do doubleman runs regularly, I will be doing one next week, from East Lothian to Telford and back, what’s the best way do do it and keep breaks legal, I’ve done the occasional one in over 45 years on the road, just want to know the best way to do it, cheers.

Sapper

The first 45 mins of POA in slot 2 is accepted as break by DVSA under double manning rules whilst being driven. So it is entirely possible to not need any extra breaks. The most important bit is to make sure you switch tacho 2 to break alongside tacho 1 if taking breaks whilst the vehicle is not moving.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

How you do it is up to you and the work load and driving times required. Take breaks as a passenger in the vehicle or stop and both take breaks as normal, entirely your guys choices. When a card is inserted into slot 2 along with slot 1 tachomaster certainly uses double manning rules and I’d guess most other tacho software does as well.

Thanks guys, keep it simple eh?

Sapper

sapper:
Hi, after a bit of advice from any of you guys that do doubleman runs regularly, I will be doing one next week, from East Lothian to Telford and back, what’s the best way do do it and keep breaks legal, I’ve done the occasional one in over 45 years on the road, just want to know the best way to do it, cheers.

Sapper

Is it for SW Transport ? Sorry for asking , just curious

You’ll soon learn that the passenger seat is not the most comfortable place to be for 4 hours.

Also depends on your co-pilot, if you get along then time can fly by, can be a long trip if you don’t.

Hi Suedehead, no, it’s not SW, it’s for a company called MSL, they do wet wall panels and the likes.

Sapper

Sixties boy:
You’ll soon learn that the passenger seat is not the most comfortable place to be for 4 hours.

Also depends on your co-pilot, if you get along then time can fly by, can be a long trip if you don’t.

For comfort it depends on the company. They can spec nice seats and armrests for passenger side if they want.

sapper:
Hi Suedehead, no, it’s not SW, it’s for a company called MSL, they do wet wall panels and the likes.

Sapper

Thanks for the reply. SW transport . . sorry logistics have depots in Broxburn and Telford, so i put 2 +2 together and made 5 :blush:
As an aside, i worked for SW in the 90s and one of the drivers nicknames was Sapper.
Sorry for the ramblings

Also should have added I assume both drivers are starting at the same start point i.e the depot?

If you are picking a driver up en route it can only be an hour max after your start time for double manning rules to apply as well from memory. Any length of time over an hour into shift time of picking a second driver up then you wouldn’t be able to run under double manning rules.

The first 45 mins of POA can also only technically be classed as break as long as the driver of the card in slot 2 is not doing any work, so even navigating etc technically would be classed as work, not that anyone could really prove whether a driver was working when his card was in slot 2 or not.

I would have to be paid alot of money to do double Manning.

I know some people only do double Manning with their other half. To me that seems even worse lol

adam277:

I know some people only do double Manning with their other half. To me that seems even worse lol

Yeah but it makes asking permission to do a night out much easier :grimacing:

Sixties boy:

Passenger seat nah
Straight in the bunk after changeover zzz

We need a like button, for Rob the Dogs answer, that’s where I am heading after my 3 hour drive.

Sapper

Straight to bed once your driving stint is done, no hanging around sitting in the passenger seat! Your mate will do same when his turn. Drive with the radio on but not too high, that way your mate can sleep through it easily. Avoid the sharp braking and swinging through contraflows and all will be happy…you don’t want him flying off the bunk or the partnership will be short-lived and you are likely to get your jaw rattled. Done it for a while back in the day and enjoyed it, money can be good and so long as your partner is descent then crack on.

adam277:

Yep me too, even then I’d need to think about it,.I like my own company too much.
As for ‘having to get on…’ I’ve took mates away with me on trips in the past,.and even wanted to strangle them after the 3rd or 4th day. :smiley:
Could not think of anything worse than spending full days…(and nights in the cab :open_mouth: ) with a stranger, and especially if his main priority wasn’t personal hygiene.
I’d end up hoying him out of the cab after the first day, or thumbing it back home myself.

Make sure that your oppo, is someone you know and trust.

I nearly left a man on the M61 a good few years ago, because he refused to do his stint back to the yard. He never doubled with me again.

Ken.