Range switch and splitter switch

jakethesnake:

Carryfast:

cooper1203:

jakethesnake:
Sounds like a range change box to me, why do you mention a splitter switch?
From what you say it sounds like you are not changing gear at the correct time ,ie wrong speed for the particular gear.
If it is a range change box you should flick the switch before moving the stick rather than as you move it.
I presume it is a synchromesh box therefore double de clutching may not help and may cause damage I was once told.
Then again I am way out of touch with the latest boxes so can’t be certain. Practice usually helps, in a yard or a quiet road till you sort your problem out
rather than causing problems for others.

I mentioned the splitter to identify the box and also wondering if i should be using it to help gear changes but decided that was stupid so didnt mention it. im fairly sure (in my inexperience) that it is a splitter switch because i was in 8th and flipped the switch and nothing happened till i disengaged /reengaged the clutch at which point the engine rpm went up and speed remained the same. reverse happened when i switched it the other way

The splitter has nothing to do with the the range change they’ll be two seperate different switches or slap stick type range change and a switched splitter control.
It’s obviously less work for the range synchroniser to upshift from high split 4th (8th) to low split 5th (9th) all preselected and actuated automatically through neutral.

For once I actually totally agree with you. :smiley:

Ironically from memory I seem to have driven the unicorns of preselectable clutch actuated spec splitter Fuller 13 speed.
Also Fuller 13 speed MAN F90,
non EPS spec Merc Powerliner and Scania 112 with 10 speed splitter, without realising how rare they all were at the time.
Also from memory did double declutch range change shifts but taking care that the range change had gone through cleanly first with the clutch disengaged before engaging the clutch in neutral to synchronise the gear.
I guess that there would also be range change synchronisation issues if the range change is attempted at the wrong road speeds such as confusing a range change with just a split shift.