Tatra trucks in the UK

I was under impression that I saw an RHD Tatra Phoenix in Scotland some time ago, and I’ve learned today that some farmer near Forfar indeed does have one.

I wonder how many of them are now registered in Britain - I know there used to be an official dealer somewhere in Wales a few years ago, so I would guess he’d sold at least a few?

It’s a DAF.

They have rebadged it you fool, I’m not driving a mini Tatra. Alan Partridge Rover 100 aka Mini Metro for anyone who doesn’t understand the reference.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Yeah, of course, and DAF XF is actually rebadged Pegaso. Because it never happened that one company used a cab sourced from another company before and if the truck have a cab you saw somewhere before, it just has to be rebadged other truck, because, as we all know, the look of the cab is the only thing that really matters when designing a lorry :slight_smile:

Thank you for your participation in a discussion. It wasn’t much, but at least you tried and this is what counts.

Now, does someone else, who is not a total ignorant who never heard about manufacturers sharing trucks cabs knows about any newish Tatra trucks in current use in the UK nowadays? Had a discussion on Twitter about it today and got curious.

Really? It was meant in jest pal! Sheesh lighten up. Hence the mini metro reference and explanation as anyone who hasn’t watched Alan Partridge would not have a clue what I was on about.

I must admit I’ve never seen one over here knowingly either left or right hand drive.

Ah, ok then, I missed the joke. But I heard people saying it’s just rebadged dad before, hence my reaction.

Apologies :slight_smile:

Btw: I like trolling them saying them that previous generation of DAF XF is actually a Pegaso Troner, it gives them a nice confusion :slight_smile:

Never heard of a Pegaso either tbh. Next thing to Google I guess.

TATRA TRUCKS and DAF TRUCKS sign new agreement

On Thursday, 21 August 2014, representatives of TATRA TRUCKS a.s. and DAF Trucks N.V. signed a renewed agreement for the delivery of engines and cabs for application in TATRA’s 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 vehicles.

The agreement also involves delivery of Euro 6 engines to be installed in a new Euro 6 TATRA PHOENIX model that will be introduced in October.

The new agreement concerns continued delivery of cabs as well as Euro 3, 4 and 5 engines to TATRA. “For EU markets we are finalizing development of a Euro 6 PHOENIX model”, commented Petr Rusek, Chairman of the Board and Business Director of TATRA TRUCKS. “Based on the excellent customer feedback on the DAF supplied Euro 3, 4 and 5 engines, we are happy to be able to apply the latest Euro 6 technology from DAF, which stands out in reliability and efficiency. Next to the 12.9 liter PACCAR MX-13 engine we are also planning introduction of the new 10.8 liter PACCAR MX-11 engine in our popular PHOENIX version.”

simcor:

Pegaso was a re-badged Seddon Atkinson. Or maybe the other way round. ISTR that the Daf 95 was the base model.

Its nearly a tatra [emoji1787][emoji1787] i collected this from Felixstowe last year and delivered it to a top secret location for testing[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

simcor:

Spanish manufacturer…

They were known affectionately as ‘Peggy Sue’s’ by British drivers. The DAF cab was the last version that I can remember. If you look on Google, they had some real antique designs but, they were a good workhorse. You could see them pulling everything from cement mixers to fridges.

In all the years I drove across Spain, I was never once overtaken by one. In exactly the same way in Germany, if there was a long queue in a no overtaking section, the truck holding everyone up was a Mercedes, in Spain it would be a Pegaso.

I drove a Pegaso a few times on agency work.
IIRC it had an Eaton Twin Splitter.
I enjoyed driving it - a lot more than some of the other makes I had to drive at that time. Decent cab.

yourhavingalarf:
The DAF cab was the last version that I can remember.

Yeah, that was their last attempt to make it when they were already going down - design a world leading extra space cab. DAF helped out a bit, in exchange for being able to use the cab. I think Seddon Atkinson was also bfiefly using this cab:

simcor:
TATRA TRUCKS and DAF TRUCKS sign new agreement (…)

That’s the old news now. Basically, DAF tried to buy Tatra, but after Czechs saw what it had done to Foden, they gathered their money and created some consortium that scooped all the shares from the market, leaving DAF as minority shareholder. By now, I think, it is back 100% in Czech hands, although it has a deal with DAF and it uses DAF cabs and Packar engines.

However you can still get Tatra with their own cabs and own air-cooled engines, I think those are available up to Euro5 (which, Tatra selling most of their production for military, and a lot of it to countries outside Europe is still a popular choice).

Pegaso was a re-badged Seddon Atkinson. Or maybe the other way round. ISTR that the Daf 95 was the base model.

Those were all different trucks, they just used the same cab. It was designed by Pegaso in cooperation with Daf and Pegaso Troner was the first to use it.

The Pegaso Troner was a fine vehicle. Compartively rare to see in this country, but when seen they were often around the wholesale fruit and vegetable markets in the colours of Olloquiegui from Navarre in Northern Spain. They are still operating but I haven’t seen the company’s vehicles for a long time now.

flickr.com/photos/16069926@N08/13410321883

DAF supply the cab and engine to TATA

Saw this beast bombing round the M25 a week or two back!

Back in the late 1990s There used to be two Tatra 8x8 heavy haulage tractors in a military sales yard in Staffordshire for quite a few years- I remember thinking I would buy one and run it as a heavy wrecker - I know they’re not there now as the yard was built on about 10 years ago
They were the ones with the spine chassis.

I wonder where they went??

yourhavingalarf:

simcor:

Spanish manufacturer…

They were known affectionately as ‘Peggy Sue’s’ by British drivers. The DAF cab was the last version that I can remember. If you look on Google, they had some real antique designs but, they were a good workhorse. You could see them pulling everything from cement mixers to fridges.

In all the years I drove across Spain, I was never once overtaken by one. In exactly the same way in Germany, if there was a long queue in a no overtaking section, the truck holding everyone up was a Mercedes, in Spain it would be a Pegaso.

When you were driving Spain and Germany, you would have been in a International truck, most likely higher spec and power than many domestic UK trucks.
The slowest truck on most roads will be the small cab, small engine, local trucks. Those operating such will be more likely to go for bargain basement locally produced stuff.
Probably Spanish and German trucker sites talking about crappy, slow, ERFs and SedAtks. :smiley:

Franglais:
When you were driving Spain and Germany, you would have been in a International truck, most likely higher spec and power than many domestic UK trucks.
The slowest truck on most roads will be the small cab, small engine, local trucks. Those operating such will be more likely to go for bargain basement locally produced stuff.
Probably Spanish and German trucker sites talking about crappy, slow, ERFs and SedAtks. :smiley:

Absolutely…

I was driving the pinnacle of truck technology, the best that money could buy. A LHD Scania 420 Streamline!

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

Absolutely…

I was driving the pinnacle of truck technology, the best that money could buy. A LHD Scania 420 Streamline!

Luxury!
I ad a cardboard box wi a rubber-band under the floor…
youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE