Expenses under umbrella PAYE

Hi everyone, just after some advice. I have a full time job and have recently started work for an agency under umbrella, basically one or 2 shifts a week as pocket money. Holiday pay is included in hourly rate and as long as i get paid the hours i work with holiday pay included and get taxed the right amount im happy. The thing is over the last few weeks ive had the payroll company ringing me leaving messages to remind/ encourage me to put expenses in which i havent cos basically im not that bothered as it seems like it could be to much mither if hmrc along 2 years down the line asking for receipts. Ive never claimed expenses on any job and would just like to know peoples thoughts on whether im missing a trick or stick with my gut feeling that its just not worth the mither?

Thanks

Stick with your gut feeling. You will never beat the Taxman so in my mind its not worth the hassle nor the feeling in the mind of the possibily of the taxman coming after you just for claiming a few quid a week.

The advantage umbrella companies had regarding expenses was nullified as far back as 2016. Any expense they can put through for you to save tax you could put through yourself by submitting a form to HMRC.

To find out if you are better off (unlikely to be honest), you would need to find out the standard PAYE rate of pay (not rolled-up holiday pay).

If you wish you could PM me a payslip and I would have a better idea of what is going on. Sorry to say that it is often the case that both sets of NI are coming out of the quoted umbrella rate (makes my blood boil).

Essentially under the pretence of telling you may be better off, this is just a way of the agency a) paying less for your services and b) a payroll company also taking a slice of YOUR PAY.

^^^this x 100 those gits dont do anything other than line thier own pockets. i wouldnt trustthem with the simplist of senarios. if anything goes wrong and the tax man comes knocking the company that actualy paid you has gone and you have no way of getting your money back.

Mate of mine was with Think Accounting, got a nice tax bill for £5k when HMRC investigated them and disallowed all the expenses he’d claimed for.

All you can claim for pretty much is an annual amount for washing work uniform clothing if it’s logo’d, stuff like your DCPC courses if you pay for them plus the cost of travelling to and from the training, LGV licence medical etc. You can claim flat rate meal allowances like Stobarts pay their drivers but you have to provide proof of an actual expense, in other words a receipt, because unlike Stobarts the umbrella company won’t have an agreement with HMRC. No claiming it if you take a pack up and don’t spend anything.

Many umbrella companies will say you can claim mileage but that’s long since got knocked on the head as HMRC class the first and last journey of the day going to and from work as ordinary commuting and therefore not claimable.

All drivers should refuse or walk away from an umbrella PAYE arrangement.

The umbrella company is probably registered in a place like the British Virgin Islands in order to hide the identities of the conmen.

The umbrella company will probably close down after about 18 months and reopen under another name (this is know as doing a phoenix) so that HMRC can’t go after them to reclaim the money that they have scammed off the British taxpayer. HMRC can however go after the low hanging fruit…ie. you the driver.

Conor:
Mate of mine was with Think Accounting, got a nice tax bill for £5k when HMRC investigated them and disallowed all the expenses he’d claimed for.

All you can claim for pretty much is an annual amount for washing work uniform clothing if it’s logo’d, stuff like your DCPC courses if you pay for them plus the cost of travelling to and from the training, LGV licence medical etc. You can claim flat rate meal allowances like Stobarts pay their drivers but you have to provide proof of an actual expense, in other words a receipt, because unlike Stobarts the umbrella company won’t have an agreement with HMRC. No claiming it if you take a pack up and don’t spend anything.

Many umbrella companies will say you can claim mileage but that’s long since got knocked on the head as HMRC class the first and last journey of the day going to and from work as ordinary commuting and therefore not claimable.

Here we go again, Conor’s so called mates tax bill would have been made up primarily of NI contributions or more to the point a lack of NI contributions. Come on Conor instead of trying to bamboozle people, why not state the facts.A £5000 tax bill for disallowed expense claims, who you trying to fool?

robbo99.:
who you trying to fool?

Exactly Conor…

We all know you don’t have any mates.

msgyorkie:
You will never beat the Taxman

Unless you’re working as LTD. People still doing it to this day and as long as the company is happy to uhm…hire their company (LTD) it seems to be working for them :blush: I know at least 2 drivers who still make outrageous ££ as ltd (or so they claim I haven’t seen their income with my own eyes) 1 doing heavy equipment 1 for a company that subs for Tesco and others (trunking mainly)

Thanks for all replies. Safe to say im not going to bother with the expenses. If i was full time it may be worth it but not for me. These expenses included claiming for mileage and after x amount of hours worked. Like i said it just doesnt sit right for me .

ETS:

msgyorkie:
You will never beat the Taxman

Unless you’re working as LTD. People still doing it to this day and as long as the company is happy to uhm…hire their company (LTD) it seems to be working for them :blush: I know at least 2 drivers who still make outrageous ££ as ltd (or so they claim I haven’t seen their income with my own eyes) 1 doing heavy equipment 1 for a company that subs for Tesco and others (trunking mainly)

Nah… my best mate works as a construction site manager as LTD…he was handed a nice 12k tax bill from HMRC. After all the years of bragging about how much he earns it was nice to see he was panicking about paying what he is due!

Conor:

No receipt required, but qualifying travel must have been undertaken for subsistence expenses. There was a thread in February where Conor acknowledged as much.

How is it MPs are allowed to be salf employed?

robbo99.:
Here we go again, Conor’s so called mates tax bill would have been made up primarily of NI contributions or more to the point a lack of NI contributions. Come on Conor instead of trying to bamboozle people, why not state the facts.A £5000 tax bill for disallowed expense claims, who you trying to fool?

Not my fault you’re a drooling halfwit. Oh and also a forgetful ■■■■ too seeing as you actually posted in the very threads where someone posted a £15k bill and someone said they’d beaten that with a £15650 one.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=125766

Here’s the one someone posted here 10 years they’d got for £15k when the whole Think Accounting thing went bang that you even commented on…

Noremac:
No receipt required, but qualifying travel must have been undertaken for subsistence expenses. There was a thread in February where Conor acknowledged as much.

Ah yes that’s right, they’d recently changed the rules.

Conor:

robbo99.:

Not my fault you’re a drooling halfwit. Oh and also a forgetful [zb] too seeing as you actually posted in the very threads where someone posted a £15k bill and someone said they’d beaten that with a £15650 one.

Here’s the one someone posted here 10 years they’d got for £15k when the whole Think Accounting thing went bang that you even commented on…

Ah righty, so apart from the usual abuse from obnoxious Conor, I think it’s you that needs to get your facts right. The topic of the thread is the claiming of expenses, you stated in your original post in this thread your “mate” received a £5000 TAX BILL due to expense claims, you’ve now posted once again it was a tax bill in total over £15000, make your mind up.

Conor:

Noremac:

Ah yes that’s right, they’d recently changed the rules.

Wrong again Conor, do keep up old boy.

robbo99.:

Conor:

robbo99.:

Not my fault you’re a drooling halfwit. Oh and also a forgetful [zb] too seeing as you actually posted in the very threads where someone posted a £15k bill and someone said they’d beaten that with a £15650 one.

Ah righty, so apart from the usual abuse from obnoxious Conor, I think it’s you that needs to get your facts right. The topic of the thread is the claiming of expenses, you stated in your original post in this thread your “mate” received a £5000 TAX BILL due to expense claims, you’ve now posted once again it was a tax bill in total over £15000, make your mind up. The confusion certainly couldn’t have been caused by you relating to 2 “mates” I doubt you have a very long Christmas card list.

robbo99.:

robbo99.:

Conor:

robbo99.:

Ah righty, so apart from the usual abuse from obnoxious Conor, I think it’s you that needs to get your facts right. The topic of the thread is the claiming of expenses, you stated in your original post in this thread your “mate” received a £5000 TAX BILL due to expense claims, you’ve now posted once again it was a tax bill in total over £15000, make your mind up. The confusion certainly couldn’t have been caused by you relating to 2 “mates” I doubt you have a very long Christmas card list. It even crossed my mind you could be relating to 2 " mates", then I gave myself a slap and realized that was a total impossibility.

robbo99.:

Conor:

robbo99.:

Ah righty, so apart from the usual abuse from obnoxious Conor, I think it’s you that needs to get your facts right. The topic of the thread is the claiming of expenses, you stated in your original post in this thread your “mate” received a £5000 TAX BILL due to expense claims, you’ve now posted once again it was a tax bill in total over £15000, make your mind up.

Get my point Conor?