Chilled goods, no fridge

Simple question.

Is it illegalto knowingly transport chilled goods in a refrigerated trailer with a broken fridge?

Been asked to, don’t want to. But is there any legal implications against the driver?

No
Although I’d be shocked if the goods are accepted.
Even with co-op supermarket deliveries to stores they are supposed to check the temperatures before accepting delivery.

Edit: There may be some question of ‘legality’ if you don’t input the correct temperatures in your delivery notes. Ideally you want to make it clear that the fridge was not used to whoever is receiving the goods.

I have in the past delivered a chilled/frozen load in a fridge not working (it wouldn’t restart after first delivery) phoned office spoke to transport manager said crack on i said fine but don’t take responsibility if refused at store…

Would i leave the yard with a broken fridge? No i wouldn’t. It would have to be transhipped to another trailer. Everyday occurrence in large depots

Thanks for the replies.

I won’t be delivering to the customer, will only be taking back to depot.

So long as I can’t be blamed for anything

Cheers

Donbar:
Simple question.

Is it illegalto knowingly transport chilled goods in a refrigerated trailer with a broken fridge?

Been asked to, don’t want to. But is there any legal implications against the driver?

No it’s…

Not illegal to knowingly transport chilled goods with a broken fridge. There are no implications for you as a driver.

Just take the stuff and when it gets rejected, bring it back and watch them tip it all into the skip.

I’d be surprised if after recent food health events there’s not more temp checks and documentation processes going on, purely to show should something go wrong somewhere those in the chain can point and say “wasn’t me, look here”.

Donbar:
Simple question.

If someone gets food poisoning the food will be traced back to source including transportation and if you (rather the company) can’t present a document of proof (journey ticket printout with temperature samples every 10mins I think) they may be f-ed. Of course tehy can always say we gave him a working fridge, don’t know what happened next.

ETS:
and if you (rather the company) can’t present a document of proof (journey ticket printout with temperature samples every 10mins I think).

Who told you that?

the maoster:

ETS:
and if you (rather the company) can’t present a document of proof (journey ticket printout with temperature samples every 10mins I think).

Who told you that?

Sounds like a company specific policy to me.

^^^^ possibly. I’m thinking that taking a printout every ten minutes would make for a long bloody journey!

Donbar:
Simple question.

Find out more details before kicking off mate, for instance we often carry frozen food with the fridge switched off because it is damaged/contaminated/ out of date dump stock destined for landfill or pig food, similarly we get curtainsiders coming to our Coldstore to pick up dumpstock and if it’s the first time a particular driver has done that job then he/she can quite understandably be concerned.

the maoster:
^^^^ possibly. I’m thinking that taking a printout every ten minutes would make for a long bloody journey!

You do the print out at the end of the journey :stuck_out_tongue:. It will list the temps at various intervals.

Thanks for that mate.

the maoster:
Thanks for that mate.

Yeh…

What a newb. :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know :slight_smile:

One of the big supermarkets once sent me on a 45 min run to a store with mixed chill/ ambient load in a normal box trailer (no fridge), it was mid winter and quite cold out there and it was in my early days of driving so I assumed this was normal practice.

adam277:
If you have any other questions feel free to let me know :slight_smile:

Thanks mate, I’ll pm you if I get stuck :smiley:

the maoster:

ETS:

Who told you that?

My (former) shift manager when I’d fail to produce one at the end of my shift. Maybe she was just trying to scare me but it did/does make sense to me. Any issues with the product, here’s my ticket to prove temp never fell below the threshold during transportation.

the maoster:

It’s the ,journey ticket’’ or 24-hour ticket option, not the ,delivery ticket’'…It display a temperature history for every 10 (or 15 depending on printer type) minutes. Do they not require these at your place?

ETS:
It’s the ,journey ticket’’ or 24-hour ticket option, not the ,delivery ticket’'…It display a temperature history for every 10 (or 15 depending on printer type) minutes

I don’t think he knows this