No Stopping

Been doing some work for a parcel company and been told I can not stop between depots?

How common is a no stopping rule these days?

I was told that by one of the customers I did some trunking for agency recently.

I told them I refuse because peeing while driving, while technically not illegal, can be classified as “driving without due care and attention” or even “dangerous driving” and I don’t want to risk that. They said nothing. And they still invite me to do some shifts for them. So either they saw my point, or they are really desperate for drivers (I wonder why).

Macski:
Been doing some work for a parcel company and been told I can not stop between depots?

For high value loads it’s been the case for the 27 years I’ve been doing the job. With parcel companies you can stop but you need to ring in the traffic office to get a reference code to put on your paperwork usually. It’s to make sure you’re not being hi-jacked or stopping to let your mates take stuff off the back.

■■■■ take

Macski:

Tuffnells and DX Freight and I believe UKMail all have similar polices.
I stopped anyway lol, ■■■■ em.

Trunk runs are often 3 hours +. I like to stop for a ■■■■ and sometimes have a coffee.

Then again, I have worked in the warehouse. And if the trailer gets back 10-20 mins later than it should it can make a difference.

I did Bristol…

From South Elmsall on nights. The pointy shoes told me how to read and write, couple up, drive an artic, find the A1 south and when I should take my breaks. I pointed out that I’d take them where ever I wanted them, he said I had a high value cargo on, I said he should put a big padlock on it then and wandered off.

Yes, I was in there the following shift.

yourhavingalarf:
I did Bristol…

From South Elmsall on nights. The pointy shoes told me how to read and write, couple up, drive an artic, find the A1 south and when I should take my breaks. I pointed out that I’d take them where ever I wanted them, he said I had a high value cargo on, I said he should put a big padlock on it then and wandered off.

I love how they say “high value cargo”, most cargo is high value on a lorry… to someone, even if its bog roll!!!

Macski:

you dictate when you need a break not someone in the office, health and safety falls within that category

Stephenjp:

yourhavingalarf:
I did Bristol…

I love how they say “high value cargo”, most cargo is high value on a lorry… to someone, even if its bog roll!!!

Particularly if it’s bog roll, for the last couple of years. :laughing:

adam277:

Macski:

Tuffnells and DX Freight and I believe UKMail all have similar polices.
I stopped anyway lol, [zb] em.

Trunk runs are often 3 hours +. I like to stop for a ■■■■ and sometimes have a coffee.

Then again, I have worked in the warehouse. And if the trailer gets back 10-20 mins later than it should it can make a difference.

If it’s Tuffnells, if the parcels ever leave the collection depot it’s a miracle, most seem to disappear in to a black hole, the boot of the warehouse staff’s car.
Company next to us lost many a consignment, still owes them in the region of 20k, they call him every few months, when are you going to pay the invoice? When you find the missing parcels? This has been going on two years now.

Stephenjp:
I love how they say “high value cargo”, most cargo is high value on a lorry…

Not really. Have you got a Playstation 5? The same space taken up by toilet rolls in a trailer that that £450 console does boxed would be worth about £2. £20 to £30 of chipboard would take up the same space in a trailer that a £2000 OLED TV would. When you get to talking about stuff like computer components like those that the couriers for Aria, Scan Computers, Ebuyer etc carry then you’re talking thousands of pounds often in something the size of a ■■■ packet to a shoe box size.

Conor:

Stephenjp:

Not really. Have you got a Playstation 5? The same space taken up by toilet rolls in a trailer that that £450 console does boxed would be worth about £2. £20 to £30 of chipboard would take up the same space in a trailer that a £2000 OLED TV would. When you get to talking about stuff like computer components like those that the couriers for Aria, Scan Computers, Ebuyer etc carry then you’re talking thousands of pounds often in something the size of a ■■■ packet to a shoe box size.

I thunk the point he’s making is that everything is high value to someone regardless of what it is. Yes some things are easier to be stolen but it doesn’t change the fact that whatever we carry is of some value to someone or some business etc.

Conor:

Stephenjp:

Off topic but…

Remember years ago truck was hijacked at Burtonwood services on the M62, but they got the wrong truck and instead of whatever they were after stole a truck full of toilet roles (that was befor Covid), the truck broke down on the slip road.

talking of toilet rolls how many dyou go thru? im asking because my neighbours [wom and son] are going thru over 50 a week. how do i know ,shared bins

The pet shop boys got through a lot of toilet rolls, or rather the toilet roll tubes.

Allegedly

the maoster:
The pet shop boys got through a lot of toilet rolls, or rather the toilet roll tubes.

Allegedly

i had an idea to sell the neybours tubes on ebay,direct from the bin -but had a gander on ebay and looks like theres loads of folks on there with same idea!

i go on toilet at the depot. if i have to stop i call them and say whats on.but some lads have access to road traffic cctv and can see you :slight_smile:

Immigrant:
i go on toilet at the depot. if i have to stop i call them and say whats on.but some lads have access to road traffic cctv and can see you :slight_smile:

Your English has much improved Andrejs.

Still more comprehensible than dozy…

“No Stopping” is more about “Security of the Load” than anything else.

If you’re working at courier outfits like Royal Mail or Yodel - then every run will be on a “no stopping” basis, for obvious reasons.
If you’re doing supermarket work on the other hand, the homeward trip - is carrying salvage/empties/rubbish and therefore doesn’t have the same security risks in stopping for a 15 at a MSA say,…

If you’re on a 4hr 25m palletliner job that didn’t dispatch until 2 hours into your duty start, then you’ll be obliged to take a 15 on a derv pump at said MSA alas…