Coupling order

I was shouted at today because I put on the airlines before winding up the legs, aparently I will kill someone doing that.

I have always started with the lines then made my way round the trailer finishing with the clip.

Whats so wrong with that?

Macski:
I was shouted at today because I put on the airlines before winding up the legs, aparently I will kill someone doing that.

I have always started with the lines then made my way round the trailer finishing with the clip.

I was taught…

Uncoupling - BLACK

BRAKES
LEGS
AIRLINES
CLIP
KINGPIN

when coupling up do it in reverse

Depends on what the companies Ssow is really as to whether you did right or wrong in their eyes. How have they taught you to do it?

Clip, air lines,legs and then brake is the normal accepted order usually.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Macski:

Should be safety clip first and a second check last. Legs are last thing I wind up before second check of safety clip and doing light checks/numberplate.

But no one can justify the order of legs and airlines other than spelling a pneumonic?
As long as they both get done, in the middle somewhere. [emoji1745]

No reason for anyone shouting at you, all it does is brings to attention how close the loud mouth’s knuckles are to scraping the ground.

The only thing i’d change about what you are doing is:
once connected up put the clip on then and shine a torch up the 5th wheel’s bum to check the bar is across, so long as the tractor unit park brake is applied that trailer isn’t going anywhere.

Ignoring the trailer park brake for the moment, the clip is the first thing i put on and the very last thing i remove just before pulling the handle when dropping a trailer.

Other than that i too fit the airlines first and go around anti clockwise, whether dropping or picking up, its when you change a routine that things go pear shaped.

I was taught, in the mists of time, to do the legs before the airlines. If you forget the airlines when dropping the trailer, you only damage a few lines, and your pride. If you forget the legs, you either drop the trailer on its knees, or you bend/rip off the legs. That is much more expensive than a few suzies…

Despite whichever ways the H&S bods want it doing AFAIC it’s clip first and last as it’s too easy to forget it, then follow the rest of BLACK. I never secure the load or close the curtains at the same time I’m picking up the trailer. I treat them as two separate tasks to avoid mistakes trying to multitask, as every woman knows that us blokes can’t multitask :laughing:
It’s wise to stop, get out and have a quick walk around the trailer before you pull under it, as it enables you to check that the parking brake is on, spot obvious defects and faulty tyres before you pick it up, and therefore saves you the anguish of early morning grumbles and under the breath curses of having to drop it back down when you discover it is fubar

Never heard of it being called ‘BLACK’, but it’s the way I do it anyway.
First artic job I had at 21, , I pulled the pin first when the full outfit was sat on an angle, to see a loaded flat trailer of steel coming towards me…could have been a very short driving carreer if my reflexes were not as quick… :smiley: .
The o/p said about getting shouted at,… I certainly did that day and deserved it.

As for the prck shouting at you as if you’re a schoolboy for doing something maybe not in the right order, but arguably ok.(what’s the worst that could have happened ffs) …he should have been told to go and ■■■■ himself. :unamused:

peirre:
it’s clip first and last as it’s too easy to forget it

Juddian:
once connected up put the clip on then and shine a torch up the 5th wheel’s bum to check the bar is across, so long as the tractor unit park brake is applied that trailer isn’t going anywhere.

Conor:
Should be safety clip first and a second check last

Yep. Get that right, and the order of the rest hardly matters.

Juddian:
its when you change a routine that things go pear shaped.

Or when it gets interrupted. Having once been engaged in conversation when picking a trailer up, and forgetting to put the clip on (thankfully without incident) I now adopt a routine that starts from the beginning checking everything if for any reason I am distracted from it.

Biggest mistake you can make is to rush things; I’ve seen a highly experienced driver drop a trailer on its knees because another driver was hassling him to hurry up and he forgot to wind the legs down. Fortunately the trailer was empty and no damage was done.

Macski:

Trailer brake should always be the first thing you put on and the last thing you take off, always check it even if it is one of the automatic ones that way you wont forget when you couple up one that’s not an auto trailer brake. The standard procedure that you should have been taught when learning is B.L.A.C.K. to uncouple and reverse this to couple. Many companies also use this and when you go into places you will see posters dotted about with this information on them.

Picking up
(1)Trailer brakes on
(2)Unit underneath give it a “■■■■■■”
(3) Handbrake on
(4) Clip
(5)Airlines on
(6)Legs up
(7)Trailer brake off
Dropping
(1 Brakes on all round
(2)Airlines off
(3)Legs down
(4)Pull the pin

Like its been said its all down to routine or habit although some habits could be wrong.

There are plenty of ways to couple a trailer.
Only one real wrong way to do it.
top tip if your putting your airlines on before doing the kingpin thats not good.

Also being shouted at for that is ■■■■■■■ stupid.
in an ideal would you do the legs last because assuming both the king pin and brake fails you still have the legs supporting the trailer.

edit: just read.

If your coupling up that that is obviously wrong lol. With coupling up the clip is the first thing you put on.

Basically clip is the first thing you put on when coupling up. And the last thing to do when uncoupling. Everything else move around as you want.

Then again there is split coupling which is an entire different thing. Something that I avoid. Because I am not 30st.

I can’t believe how many of you on the coupling process, apart from Lolipop, never mentioned giving the tug test once underneath!!!

My order is the same as Lolipop’s, however on ferry trailers, the dock lads have a habit of leaving the trailer suspension either up or down on the max, so checking the trailer height is first before going under.

Ken.

Quinny:
I can’t believe how many of you on the coupling process, apart from Lolipop, never mentioned giving the tug test once underneath!!!

My order is the same as Lolipop’s, however on ferry trailers, the dock lads have a habit of leaving the trailer suspension either up or down on the max, so checking the trailer height is first before going under.

Ken.

Ye important point and pain in the ■■■ when its too low haha. I once ■■■■■■ the plastic mud guard things on the rear wheels as I tried to lift the trailer up with the very rear of the unit so I didnt have to wind it up by hand to get under it.

Hitching up

Clip, lines, legs, attach n-plate, check lights etc, trailer brake off, double check clip

Dropping

Lines, legs, remove n-plate, check trailer brake is on, pull pin.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks!

When I first started driving it was normal not to put on the trailer brake!!!

Also many trucks did not have the clip, well it was missing, used to be told the clip was not needed and not a legal requirment.

Back then I could also take along friends for trips out.

That was in the 90s!

Quinny:
I can’t believe how many of you on the coupling process, apart from Lolipop, never mentioned giving the tug test once underneath!!!.

a lot of people describe their coupling up routine as starting their with the clip as opposed to the kingpin. I.e. it starts when they get out the cab, so they have probably done the tug test already.

Quinny:

Ken.

Any good tips for dealing with either?

Macski:
Thanks!

When I first started driving it was normal not to put on the trailer brake!!!
!

It’s still normal. I often couple up to trailers that have not got the brake on. Makes it hard to remember which is on and which is off. It seems backwards to me. The easiest thing is to hit it (push it) but that takes the brakes off rather than applying them. [emoji1745]