Shunters wages

Im told they can work all the hours they want and earn ■■■■ loads of money.I always wondered what the attraction of the job was.Is this true then?

No limit to the amount of hours you can work shunting, as long as you don’t drive an in scope vehicle during any fixed week. So yes if the hourly rate is good and you want to work 6 or 7 12 hour shifts every day then it can be possible. Why anyone would want to though is beyond me working 6 or 7 12 hour shifts week in week out. I did shunting 60 hours every week for 13 weeks and felt like I was never not at work or asleep.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

All depends who you work for and what type of work it involves. If its a 24/7 operation then I would think “Shunters” would be on fixed shift patterns with a few hours extra hours when someone is off sick or on holiday. Where I worked they where on the same hourly rate as Drivers with shift allowances

Sploom:
Im told they can work all the hours they want and earn [zb] loads of money.

The streets of…

London are paved with gold too.

You’ll earn the industry average (what ever that is). If shunters were earning £1000 pw after tax, there would be no vacancies at all and I’d have been doing it for the last 20 years.

Working time directive is your friend if you don’t want to work big hours
Poa is your friend if you do.
No difference in rates,although only shunters have access to Sunday shifts…which are quite lucrative

yourhavingalarf:

Sploom:
Im told they can work all the hours they want and earn [zb] loads of money.

The streets of…

London are paved with gold too.

You’ll earn the industry average (what ever that is). If shunters were earning £1000 pw after tax, there would be no vacancies at all and I’d have been doing it for the last 20 years.

Boots on agency were paying £18 an hour for shunting as I knew a couple of guys doing it on agency, and that was before any pay increases. Could be higher now.
So if you wanted to work 6 shifts a week on nights that’s £1296 a week assuming no deduction for breaks. And that’s assuming basic rate with no other premiums on top or any hours at an overtime rate. No life mind doing 6 X 12 hour shifts every week mind.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Pre 0500 starters are on 1k per week at my place.
58 hours mon-fri

Was 4 on 4 off at Stobbies at Tesco, earned more money than the trampers for effectively working a 44hr week when you take into account lunch breaks. If you’re in a busy yard the time flies by.

Biggest advantage is you know when you start and you know what time you’re going home and no amount of road accidents, roadworks, breakdowns, flat tyres or being delayed getting loaded or tipped will change that.

Conor:
Biggest advantage is you know when you start and you know what time you’re going home and no amount of road accidents, roadworks, breakdowns, flat tyres or being delayed getting loaded or tipped will change that.

Yep.
And I go home for my tea