More HGV carnage on the road!

Three lorries involved in a collision with stationery traffic on the A34…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o … e-61361597

Another weekend of carnage on the roads…

this is why i try to keep moving, weather its crawling at 2mph or 15mph not sure if it would of avoided the accident but possibly would of however when using the crawling method people would steal your gap :frowning:

Unbelievable how this can happen. Lack of concentration, too close? I don’t know but it seems to be a regular thing nowadays.

Between Marcham and Milton Junctions. Probably the staightest, flatest bit of the 34 and over half hour after the first collision :open_mouth:

Took me nearly an hour to get to my boat yesterday morning instead of 25 mins , all the roads round Wantage and Abingdon were heaving. Thats half hour of gentle cruising and beer drinking I missed because of these clowns :imp:

Fuzrat:
Between Marcham and Milton Junctions. Probably the staightest, flatest bit of the 34

that makes it dangerous as you can’t see past the truck in front of you.

over half hour after the first collision :open_mouth:

What’s your point?

stu675:
Fuzrat wrote:
Between Marcham and Milton Junctions. Probably the staightest, flatest bit of the 34"

You shouldnt be travelling so close that all you can see is the back doors of the preceding vehicle. Roads in the UK are not built in absolutely straight lines. That section may be the straightest section; that doesnt mean 100% straight.
Generally only some older roads are totally straight, newer ones are given gentle curves to keep drivers awake.

stu675:
Fuzrat wrote: “over half hour after the first collision”

What’s your point?

There was stationary traffic. It wasn`t an incident happening just in front of the truck.

If you can’t see past the truck in front of you there is a simple method called “dropping back” or easing off the gas to give more room to react if something happens unexpectedly.

It’s a skill that sadly seems to evade some drivers.

jakethesnake:

If you can’t see past the truck in front of you there is a simple method called “dropping back” or easing off the gas to give more room to react if something happens unexpectedly.

To be fair these types of collision are as much about the skill of judging large speed differentials at sufficient distance to react as seperation distances.
That skill is obviously lost in an environment that wants to minimise large speed differentials.Its also best learnt and kept sharp by fast car driving at autobahn type speeds.
The forward planning needed to sustain such speeds is very similar to that required to safely navigate a truck in traffic at motorway type speeds.While speed limiters just created a dumbed down sense of false security in that regard.
Which leaves the issue of the crash safety of cab over design v conventional bonneted type.The bit extra aggro in maneouvering is arguably worth having the protection of the angine chassis and bonnet out front taking the impact.

Back end of one of our trailers there…

The driver of the one rear ended is from my depot.

peterm:
Unbelievable how this can happen.

More unbelievable is how it doesn’t happen more often. Too many driving too close and on a night time a frighteningly increasing number of them watching netflix/youtube/tiktok/facebook/whatsapp etc on their phones and tablets as they drive down the road.

Simples ,
To many drivers chasing and driving far to close , see it every day .
Some drivers where I work are looking to finish before they even start .
Asking ops manager what’s on today guv what time do you think I will get done today ,
That’s at 6am in the morning before they have turned a wheel

Carryfast:

jakethesnake:

To be fair these types of collision are as much about the skill of judging large speed differentials at sufficient distance to react as seperation distances.
That skill is obviously lost in an environment that wants to minimise large speed differentials.Its also best learnt and kept sharp by fast car driving at autobahn type speeds.
The forward planning needed to sustain such speeds is very similar to that required to safely navigate a truck in traffic at motorway type speeds.While speed limiters just created a dumbed down sense of false security in that regard.
Which leaves the issue of the crash safety of cab over design v conventional bonneted type.The bit extra aggro in maneouvering is arguably worth having the protection of the angine chassis and bonnet out front taking the impact.

TBF as usual you misunderstand. I was referring to the ridiculous statement that on a straight road you can’t see past the truck in front.

Why is it most on here seem to realise drivers travel far too close to each other (apart from the obvious ones) on a daily basis but the prevalence of tailgaiting seems to be getting worse. Accident after accident. Do these cretins think it will never happen to them or are they not capable of realising the danger to themselves and others?

^^ Jake, those you describe drive like ■■■■ because they ain’t, they never have been, they never will be, lorry drivers, as long as they have the proverbial rear orifice.

As one or two of our throng point out regularly enough, too many are car drivers who just happened to take a class 1 course and passed the test, they’re still driving cars just bigger ones.

As i’ve pointed out, to the derision of others many times, those who decided to manufacture and those who bought those lorries that are as easy as a car to drive have not done the general public a great service, half the pillocks wouldn’t get some of the old stuff out the gate.
Progress is great, but not when it allows people who should never have been allowed anywhere near a bloody lorry to get behind the wheel select D and go.

Conor:

peterm:
Unbelievable how this can happen.

More unbelievable is how it doesn’t happen more often. Too many driving too close and on a night time a frighteningly increasing number of them watching netflix/youtube/tiktok/facebook/whatsapp etc on their phones and tablets as they drive down the road.

That’d be my guess too, and you know the police will have taken any personal electronic devices from the vehicles because they’ll assume the same thing, and all they have to do is match up the tacho data to the device data and it’s a done deal.

toonsy:
The driver of the one rear ended is from my depot.

How they doing? The focus is always on the one seriously injured, but your fellow driver was likely first to see what happened behind and that can really screw you up long term.

Juddian:
^^ Jake, those you describe drive like ■■■■ because they ain’t, they never have been, they never will be, lorry drivers, as long as they have the proverbial rear orifice.

As one or two of our throng point out regularly enough, too many are car drivers who just happened to take a class 1 course and passed the test, they’re still driving cars just bigger ones.

As i’ve pointed out, to the derision of others many times, those who decided to manufacture and those who bought those lorries that are as easy as a car to drive have not done the general public a great service, half the pillocks wouldn’t get some of the old stuff out the gate.
Progress is great, but not when it allows people who should never have been allowed anywhere near a bloody lorry to get behind the wheel select D and go.

D■■? Not First? [emoji6]

Yes Juddian, probably correct in a lot of cases although not all old hands are completely innocent.
Just wish prosecutions were fired left right and centre at all the idiots to help eliminate injuries and deaths.

jakethesnake:

Carryfast:

jakethesnake:

TBF as usual you misunderstand. I was referring to the ridiculous statement that on a straight road you can’t see past the truck in front.

Why is it most on here seem to realise drivers travel far too close to each other (apart from the obvious ones) on a daily basis but the prevalence of tailgaiting seems to be getting worse. Accident after accident. Do these cretins think it will never happen to them or are they not capable of realising the danger to themselves and others?

Running into ’ stationary’ traffic is obviously the result of lack of forward planning and failing to react to an up to 56 mph speed differential in time not tailgating.Although tailgating will obviously remove vision in that regard.But still more an issue of lack of forward planning in that case.

Jake. Don’t let it go to your head, but I for one agree with you.

Me and my mrs went from Bribie Island to Morayfield in the rain for a new exhaust. On the way back we got on to the highway and less than 20 seconds later, saw a semi skid form lane 1 all the way across to lane 3 and hit the central guard rail as he jack knifed it, ending up across lanes 1&2. Semi drivers over here are just as likely to be up your clacker over here as they are over there. This happened as the speed limit went from 100 to 80 because of roadworks. Guess what caused it.

Carryfast:

Nothing like having a tonne or more of hot, diesel drenched cast iron and alloy on your lap.
Normal control trucks are no more crashworthy than cab overs.