Me being naive? Or are there liars across the industry?

Long story short, shook hands with someone on a job offer. Was perfect for me, walking distance from my house. Pay rate £14 per hour, all day work.

At first said he’ll pay for HIAB, but then it changed to get your HIAB and I got a job there for you.

Gave notice in at work and left after my notice. Sold my second car as no longer needed, Paid £400 for HIAB ticket and now he’s making excuses saying he’s kept his previous driver on etc.

Maybe am being naive and need to get real, but I felt a bit peed off. Is this common in our industry? Or maybe am just a mug.

PS- kinda worked out kaz am starting on agency for £18 per hour on Monday but with a 25min drive. (FFS need to buy a car over the weekend)

I think you were just unlucky on this occasion. There’s tossers in every industry - not just ours. Sounds like you landed on your feet anyway - might have done you a favour…

Did you enjoy the HIAB course? Are you looking forward to using it?

Well anybody that treats you like that ain’t worth working for anyway so you got lucky if you ask me.

Writing on the wall soon as the ‘‘i’ll pay for HIAB’’ changed, he was investing nothing so had nothing to lose apart from his reputation honour integrity, words which people bandy about but apply to sadly too few.
Learn from that excuse for a man, a man who’s word means nothing isn’t a man, remember you arn’t alone we’ve all been crapped on at some point.

As said above, he did you a favour unless you never use the hiab cert.

Also depends on how much work the agency is going to give you, HIAB+agency usually equals builders merchant deliveries which maybe seasonal and short term

Like a mate of mine who has a business always says if it’s not on paper with a signature it doesn’t exist.

Lots of liars in this industry and most of them in those small firms that lots of people here seem to think are the best to work for. At least if he ever contacts you again you can say he did you a favour and you’re on £5/hr more than he was offering.

Conor:
… At least if he ever contacts you again you can say he did you a favour and you’re on £5/hr more than he was offering.

Alternatively agree to start, then come the morning of the start day simply dont show up. If he rings up asking where you are, tell him you had a better offer.

WhiteTruckMan:

Conor:
… At least if he ever contacts you again you can say he did you a favour and you’re on £5/hr more than he was offering.

Alternatively agree to start, then come the morning of the start day simply dont show up. If he rings up asking where you are, tell him you had a better offer.

To me, imitating a ■■■■ has never seemed a particularly smart thing to do … but maybe that’s just me I’ve no idea :confused:

WhiteTruckMan:

Conor:

This is the best idea :smiling_imp:

Conor:
Like a mate of mine who has a business always says if it’s not on paper with a signature it doesn’t exist.

Lots of liars in this industry and most of them in those small firms that lots of people here seem to think are the best to work for. At least if he ever contacts you again you can say he did you a favour and you’re on £5/hr more than he was offering.

Sam Goldwyn (MGM films) often credited with:
“A verbal contract ain`t worth the paper its written on”

Conor:

At least with a piece of paper you’ve got something if you run out of toilet paper, it’s not as if you’re going to take someone to court over a job offer [emoji849]
First 2 years in a job you have zero rights.

When I started out driving 30yrs ago the smaller companies I worked for that had a boss there that never ■■■■■■■■■■■ or lied and told the truth were good to work for.
I worked for a couple of other small places and I knew after a couple of days they couldn’t be trusted and were full of crap and lies.
30 yrs on and which companies have survived ? The lying ■■■■■■■■■■■■ places thus proving to me that liars and bullshitters in this industry will continue to thrive.

I was a bit peed off because I wouldn’t ever treat anybody like that but yh its worked out.

Agency have got me 4 weeks work for now working for a national roofing company at a decent pay. Website/internet shows them using relatively new trucks. Let’s see how it goes on Monday.

I loved the HIAB course so would be nice to use it and gain some experience. Already have an FLT so a builders merchant type role might be a good fit for me as I prefer a mix of driving and working on my feet.

I guess you can guess my next post… in about 2 weeks time complaining agency has cancelled my shift lol. No but for real I was wondering if ■■■■ like this happens all the time but lesson learnt I suppose. Everyday is a school day.
:grimacing:

Muddy K:
Long story short, shook hands with someone on a job offer. Was perfect for me, walking distance from my house. Pay rate £14 per hour, all day work.

At first said he’ll pay for HIAB, but then it changed to get your HIAB and I got a job there for you.

Gave notice in at work and left after my notice. Sold my second car as no longer needed, Paid £400 for HIAB ticket and now he’s making excuses saying he’s kept his previous driver on etc.

Maybe am being naive and need to get real, but I felt a bit peed off. Is this common in our industry? Or maybe am just a mug.

PS- kinda worked out kaz am starting on agency for £18 per hour on Monday but with a 25min drive. (FFS need to buy a car over the weekend)

If you shake hands with someone and they change any, I mean any of the terms you shook hands on, dont even bother considering dignifying them with a reply.

tachograph:

WhiteTruckMan:

Conor:

To me, imitating a ■■■■ has never seemed a particularly smart thing to do … but maybe that’s just me I’ve no idea :confused:

It feels good, tho

I’m more concerned that OP had to sell his car to get £400 for the course… :unamused:

ETS:
[

I’m more concerned that OP had to sell his car to get £400 for the course… :unamused:

Only in your head.
The 2 facts were not presented as related. Sold his car as it was not going to be needed.

Conor:

In another context, that’s also true. Where disciplinary action is concerned, many companies nowadays forego the initial old-fashioned verbal warning and go straight to a first written warning. The logic behind this is that since that verbal warning has to be recorded to comply with company procedure, they might as well make it a formal written warning anyway.

stu675:

ETS:
[

Only in your head.
The 2 facts were not presented as related. Sold his car as it was not going to be needed.

Pretty much this. Didnt need to sell the car to fund the course, just seemed pointless having a second car/insurance/tax for no reason. We already have a family car for family duties, and the 2nd car was a 3dr Aygo just for commuting.

Anyhows I’ve replaced that yesterday with Diesel Avensis Estate. Commuting/Tip car/moving stuff about/airport runs for family at daft o clock car all in one.

So bit of an update. Following the handshake agreement guy I jumped on agency as I already left my previous job.

Monday was my first HIAB job and first time working for Agency.

Well I turned up on time at 7am and they had no idea who I was. They had a different agency driver who they were expecting as head office notified them, but my name didn’t ring any bells.

Sat around for an hour in the car as agency didn’t open til 8am. They apologized can’t remember exactly what they said. I asked for them to get me working as I need to be earning. So they sent me back to my home town to do a day at Dascher.

■■■■ start to the week, but I never done curtain siders so was up to learn. To be fair, their staff were super helpful and taught me how to use the curtain straps and internals (Special thanks to Neil if you ever read this!). The tail lift wasn’t working so 1 pallet was handball and the rest were forklift off. Easy enough. Was about 7 drops in total. That was £16/hr. First time driving a MAN. 12speed Autobox. Hmm, mixed feelings about it.

Day 2 was offered a job at 8am 30miles away in Leeds. I’d rather be working than sat at home. Walkers Transport. I recently applied to their depot in Rochdale, so thought if it goes well in Leeds it might be an opportunity to gain employment at their Rochdale Depot. Ok. Got there, friendly enough staff. Keys to a Volvo. About 10 drops with 8 being all on 1 industrial estate in Wakefield. Should be straightforward right. Start the day with no drama, on the way to my first drop, my sat nav dies. Cig lighter stopped working. Look at my phone (6year olds and on 30% battery). Hmmm. Let’s do as much as I can. I rang the office and told them situation, I will do what I can but I don’t expect my phone battery to last all day on google maps.

It’s a beautiful day and it’s getting warmer, press the window down button and…nothing. try the passenger side, same there. Great. Gonna bake today. It’s okay, most of the drops are on one industrial estate I said to myself. Little did I know, Morrisons has 3 gates and a 4th for their bread operation. I did laps around there looking for the right spots. 4 pallets for Morrisons, 3 different gates. That was fun. Next one, card factory. Great only around the corner. Errrrr 5 gates mate which one do you want. “All the paperwork says gate 1 but it’s never gate 1” says one worker on a ■■■ break. Another chips in “dump it at gate 5” so that’s what I did.

Few more drops on the same estate, no drama. Last drop is a residential address and battery is on 3%. Turned onto the street and battery died. I salute you phone, got me onto the street and it couldn’t do it anymore.

Stopped at a chippy for my 15min break, staff kindly let me charge my dead phone. Got to 12%.Rang the office to let them know all drops done, got about enough juice on my phone to come back to depot. Errrr, not so simple. Collections in Leeds. Okayyyyy, 1st collection drop. Nothing there to collect. Get to the 2nd collection drop, 10 pallets to pick up which need securing internally too. Staff kindly let me charge phone but it was a crap charger. Got to about 7% on the phone when I set off. Needed to take another 30mins so stopped at Lakeside? Lake Services close to Leeds. £40 thank you for battery pack (might as well get the bigger one).

So yeah good experience on Agency for 2 days, but it’s not for me. Might do another shift today and Tommorrow if any work comes through, but Agency work is not for me.

Had a driving assessment at DHL yesterday, been offered a position there so back to salary/permanent role doing cage work.

In the long run its worked out but that £400 was a waste. But atleast I know how to use a HIAB and curtains right? (And to check the bloody windows before I set off)

Non-working ■■■ lighter or windows? I wonder if someone managed to blow a fuse somewhere along the line…?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk