Hvo fuel

Hi guys,I’m just new to the group.Thanks for adding me.Does any of you run Scania’s on Hvo fuel in their fleet and if so how is it performing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is hvo fuel?

stu675:
What is hvo fuel?

Some sort of bio diesel by a quick Google.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

stu675:
What is hvo fuel?

It’s a hydrotreated vegetable oil with 90% lower emissions than diesel.

stagedbugman:

stu675:
What is hvo fuel?

It’s a hydrotreated vegetable oil with 90% lower emissions than diesel.

Vegetable oil is already in short supply let alone trying to produce enough to replace the oceans of fossil fuel resources that the luddites want to put beyond use.
Bioethanol and hydrogen fuelled engines are more viable which means ditching obsolete compression ignition.With the win win of also being able to use established petroleum fuels which we are self sufficient in unlike diesel.

I think the best advice comes from one of the suppliers I found which states “check with your vehicle manufacturer” to avoid warrenty issues. However they do say its been ok’d by Scania amongst others. Get it in writing from the dealer.

However I seriously doubt you’ll find many trucks on here running it as its still subject to fuel taxes and is 15% more expensive than diesel. Maybe people like DHL or similar who’ve worked out how to get tax breaks, but not even seeing them doing it.

crownoil.co.uk/faq/hvo-fuel-faq/

trevHCS:
I think the best advice comes from one of the suppliers I found which states “check with your vehicle manufacturer” to avoid warrenty issues. However they do say its been ok’d by Scania amongst others. Get it in writing from the dealer.

However I seriously doubt you’ll find many trucks on here running it as its still subject to fuel taxes and is 15% more expensive than diesel. Maybe people like DHL or similar who’ve worked out how to get tax breaks, but not even seeing them doing it.

crownoil.co.uk/faq/hvo-fuel-faq/

Thanks for that.We’re just exploring the possibility of using it and approaching the government for a rebate because it’s much more environmentally friendly with lower emissions etc.

Mentioned the Green eco word… I’m out.

biggriffin:
Mentioned the Green eco word… I’m out.

Green in this case means burning trees instead of coal and gas, the risk of nuclear disaster, and covering fields in solar panels and biofuel crops.
They couldn’t make it up.

It’s made from food waste…including waste meat, and crop residues. Pour straight in…no worries about mixing with mineral diesel providing its accepted by the engine manufacturer (DAF and Scania are OK with it).

Fuel consumption is worse on a litre/km basis than mineral diesel, but better on a kg/km basis. Burns very cleanly.

Being heavily promoted by DAF as an alternative to LNG/CNG, but no tax breaks in the UK. It can work well if you’ve got a client committed to offsetting secondary carbon emissions, because the amount of ‘fresh’ CO2 emitted to the atmosphere is only about 10 per cent of that of mineral diesel.

GasGas:
It’s made from food waste…including waste meat, and crop residues. Pour straight in…no worries about mixing with mineral diesel providing its accepted by the engine manufacturer (DAF and Scania are OK with it).

Fuel consumption is worse on a litre/km basis than mineral diesel, but better on a kg/km basis. Burns very cleanly.

Being heavily promoted by DAF as an alternative to LNG/CNG, but no tax breaks in the UK. It can work well if you’ve got a client committed to offsetting secondary carbon emissions, because the amount of ‘fresh’ CO2 emitted to the atmosphere is only about 10 per cent of that of mineral diesel.

Thanks for the reply,it all depends in wether government is prepared to give rebate.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope.

Before I say more, Carryfast I’m not interested in ine if your replies so save myself some time and yourself some effort.

Now as I was saying I wouldnt hold out any hope of a rebate given that recently rebates for red fuel have ended and now you have the absurd situation where fridge trailers are running on road fuel.

You can just about square it off with the view that making it more expensive ushers in a move to cleaner technology in the longer term.

But the wheels fall off that argument when we see no rebates for cleaner technology such as HVO fuel etc etc

I’m guessing the op works for a certain burger chain that have it written all over their trailers that they turn the used oil into fuel for trucks. If it works then good on them and it has to be cheaper than the standard alternative and definitely better than electric imho