Driving HGV in Los Angeles

So I’m HGV class one driver in the UK, i’m looking to migrate to Los Angeles because of my wife.

Just a question for example I do understand I have to pass a test in the USA to drive HGV Lorry’s. However do need to pass a car test first ? As I think a UK car license can work in the USA not sure.

Your good to go with the car license but u will have to take the truck license testing. #GOODLUCK #KEEPONTRUCKIN #USA

Do you like traffic jams because you’ll be sat in plenty in LA. LA has the distinction of being the worst traffic in the USA, Greater LA has four of the worlds worst congested motorway sections. And remember that unlike the UK you’ll be driving them with a manual box, not an auto and thus compounding the misery.

Oh and most of it isn’t like the UK where you’re home every night. Sometimes you don’t even get home every week and the plum jobs will be already taken by the union boys (you’ll be expected to join one) so you’ll get the stuff that nobody wants where you’re home once, maybe twice a month.

If I were single I’d do it although LA wouldn’t be my first choice as it’s one of the most expensive parts of the USA to live in and the highest taxed, arguably taxing you more than the UK does. A lot of people in LA have moved to Nevada as a result of the taxation.

Wg2:
So I’m HGV class one driver in the UK, i’m looking to migrate to Los Angeles because of my wife.

Just a question for example I do understand I have to pass a test in the USA to drive HGV Lorry’s. However do need to pass a car test first ? As I think a UK car license can work in the USA not sure.

Aww common She cant be that bad , I went to Scotland because of mine, but she followed me…

Conor:
Do you like traffic jams because you’ll be sat in plenty in LA. LA has the distinction of being the worst traffic in the USA, Greater LA has four of the worlds worst congested motorway sections. And remember that unlike the UK you’ll be driving them with a manual box, not an auto and thus compounding the misery.

Oh and most of it isn’t like the UK where you’re home every night. Sometimes you don’t even get home every week and the plum jobs will be already taken by the union boys (you’ll be expected to join one) so you’ll get the stuff that nobody wants where you’re home once, maybe twice a month.

If I were single I’d do it although LA wouldn’t be my first choice as it’s one of the most expensive parts of the USA to live in and the highest taxed, arguably taxing you more than the UK does. A lot of people in LA have moved to Nevada as a result of the taxation.

The guy might be happy working out of one of the many container yards doing local stuff - in LA (and yes I’ve been there) there are a lot of day cab artics and most, if not all will be Allison auto boxes.

I suspect getting a CDL (HGV Licence equivalant) will be the least of your worries. You’ve got to get a work permit first, and it’s generally accepted only marrying a US citizen will do that.

(Ps. Although there did used to be a way to do seasonal harvest work as a visitor, IIRC…)

Lucy:
(Ps. Although there did used to be a way to do seasonal harvest work as a visitor, IIRC…)

Which was mega shady, I looked into it

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

I used to do it years ago yet aren’t sure what you mean by shady.

Also isn’t it still a thing? On an H1A visa?

Don’t think Connors post understands the fact that from what the expats on here say you won’t be anywhere near home much anyway. Some moved to Canada as it was easier to get into and their routes seemed to be cross the border with the first delivery and then spend 6 weeks driving round America before returning to Canada.

mrginge:
Don’t think Connors post understands the fact that from what the expats on here say you won’t be anywhere near home much anyway. Some moved to Canada as it was easier to get into and their routes seemed to be cross the border with the first delivery and then spend 6 weeks driving round America before returning to Canada.

What you describe there is cabotage and illegal and enforced in the USA. When you tip a Canadian, or Mexican for that matter, registered truck your next load is back across the border. If you can’t find one you either go home empty or sit there until you do find one. Now home means Canada not actually home so yes somecdo stop away for extended periods, but they do not run around America.

Who wants to drive a Truck with 1970’s tech, no air- suspension, disc brakes, manual box, sliding tandam axle trailers,… 12v electric systems, some don’t have brakes on front axle, and ebs/abs is just a luxury…

Peterbilt had air suspension I think in the 1970s and air suspension is pretty much standard on all US tractors.

Front brakes have been mandatory for years in the US. although they typically run smaller brake linings.

Pursy

Conor:

Mr Positive. Always reliable to bring a ray of sunshine to any post

Wg2:

Judging by the border situation Mexico way currently,l suspect the septics won’t be struggling to fill many of these positions for too long.I would re locate in a heartbeat if l could find a hyper-tramping number that enabled me to explore the vastness of that magnificent country,al la - Davey Crockett style.Boulder to Birmingham has more appeal than Milton Keynes to Felixstowe on many levels. :neutral_face:

First things first, whats your situation? Is your wife American? Getting into America isn’t easy even with American family, my father moved to the US in the late 90’s, he had to marry his American partner as soon as they moved there in order to obtain a green card and the hoops he had to jump through were mind blowing, before he became an American citizen every trip he made back here was a nightmare on returning to the US, it would take at least 2 hours in immigration form filling and having interviews as we was a legal alien so sort of in between a visitor and a citizen.

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

H2A temp harvest visa totally legal did it myself back in 2002 with 14 other fellas from NI.
Many others have done it over the years and I still have my expired USA CDL in house.
Will do it again when I retire fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

H2A temp harvest visa totally legal did it myself back in 2002 with 14 other fellas from NI.
Many others have done it over the years and I still have my expired USA CDL in house.

I spoke to a few farmers and each one stated the same thing, don’t declare anything other than vacation at immigration

Not for me to break immigration law for some fly by night who wanted me available 24 hours a day but its ok as they offerd boarding and food.

Maybe you found better companies and if you did thats good but the ones I spoke to all said the above.

Let’s be honest if your retire and have no one at home and want to live the trucker version of a back packing holiday good luck

Nearly there again:

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

I spoke to a few farmers and each one stated the same thing, don’t declare anything other than vacation at immigration

Not for me to break immigration law for some fly by night who wanted me available 24 hours a day but its ok as they offerd boarding and food.

Maybe you found better companies and if you did thats good but the ones I spoke to all said the above.

Let’s be honest if your retire and have no one at home and want to live the trucker version of a back packing holiday good luck

We all went to the US Consolute in Belfast and got the H2A visa attached into our British passports.
All legal and above board and all your wages are earned tax free while on harvest.
Your “Custom Cutter” employer has to pay your return flights under the H2A temp visa rules also AND they provide room/board.
You can actually earn rather good money if the crops are good and the Custom Cutter gets decent harvest jobs to do.