Oldest revenue earning HGVs

I saw a J reg Scania 143 450 V8 parked in our yard last night, a black one, I’m sure I’ve seen it a few times before on the road. The driver was having a night out, and his lorry was clearly still working full time. It looked ancient and so out of place, but I was impressed.

This got me thinking, there must be a fair few HGVs like that. I know the old F88 carrying logs probably takes the crown for oldest still earning a daily keep.

Does anybody know of any old lorries still in full time revenue earning service?

That old F88 often seen on M40 pulling logs I think beats anything! Often makes me laugh when pics pop up on Facebook any loads say they’d prefer that over a new truck. 90% would last an hour before they realise they’d made a mistake. 10% wouldn’t need 10 minutes. Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

The F88 is owned by a bloke called Bob Carmichael, the registration is ADH 921 L if you want to find pics of it.

switchlogic:
That old F88 often seen on M40 pulling logs I think beats anything! Often makes me laugh when pics pop up on Facebook any loads say they’d prefer that over a new truck. 90% would last an hour before they realise they’d made a mistake. 10% wouldn’t need 10 minutes. Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

You’re not wrong. We have a few 09 plate DAF CF’s in our fleet, they are proper old dogs compared to our 19 plate ones. Everyone avoids them like the plague when possible

Harry Monk:
The F88 is owned by a bloke called Bob Carmichael, the registration is ADH 921 L if you want to find pics of it.

I was at the Gaydon show about 8 or 9 years ago, and he just pulled in on the Sunday. Like flies to a turd it were, including me with my camera :laughing:

This one still works, not every day, but it still goes out when they’re busy.
It’s a 93 280. Goes remarkably well.

J. Barrett from Oldham, still running ERF’s on tanker work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old John:
This one still works, not every day, but it still goes out when they’re busy.
It’s a 93 280. Goes remarkably well.

Brilliant stuff. There’s something about 3 series Scanias that still work that I love.

I recall from years ago a tanker belonging to S.Harrison Ltd.of Sheffield being pulled by an old Scammell.I’d like to think it is still knocking about.

ezydriver:

Harry Monk:

I was at the Gaydon show about 8 or 9 years ago, and he just pulled in on the Sunday. Like flies to a turd it were, including me with my camera :laughing:

I imagine it’s a bit like Trigger’s broom nowadays. :wink:

switchlogic:

I’ve never driven an F88 so can’t comment on that, but if Volvo still made an F12 Globetrotter I’d choose that over anything they make today if I was still on long-haul, if just for the storage space which was all lost when the FH series was introduced and aerodynamics took precedence .

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:

I’ve never driven an F88 so can’t comment on that, but if Volvo still made an F12 Globetrotter I’d choose that over anything they make today if I was still on long-haul, if just for the storage space which was all lost when the FH series was introduced and aerodynamics took precedence .

I’m sat in an S500 now and I would genuinely take my old 04 plate manual 4 series topline over it any day. This new gen is boring to drive in comparison, and the crows nest bed on the topline has never been beaten

Barretts in Lancashire run a fleet of old ERF’s.

I snapped a 98 EC14 at a drop the other day.

Ken.

Came across an extremely tidy Ford Transcon at Leigh D. the other week; on a “Y” plate so 1983, left ■■■■■■ and pulling a smallish double deck car transporter. O licence in the screen and one car on the back so not a toy.

At the other end of the scale, up till last year there was an extremely rough-looking Volvo 616 flatbed on an “A” plate knocking about the West Midlands, believe he delivers chimney pots and is based in the Tamworth area. Haven’t seen it for a while though.

Can’t help but wonder how often they get a ‘tug’

WhiteTruckMan:

Providing they’re clean and well kept, I’d suggest probably a darn sight less than some of the badly blinged modern trucks I see on the road.

WhiteTruckMan:

Probably not very often. In the case of the F88 for example, I imagine the VOSA are pretty well aware of it and are satisfied that it is roadworthy so there would be little point in repeatedly examining it simply because it is old.

switchlogic:
Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

I have very fond memories of my DAF 95, and would swap many of todays trucks for it. No speed limiter, 350BHP would fly back at 60MPH from Glasgow fully loaded with Whisky, the hills on the route no problem! No seat belt either another bonous.

I saw these at Gaydon recently. They all looked well worked.

switchlogic:

I have to disagree with you Luke, I’d take a twenty year old Star over any modern Euromobile.