renew medical

HI guys,

i have a class c driving licence but not currently working in the industry. ive had a reminder that i need to take a medical to keep the entitlement. £100 for the medical.
if i dont renew, do i lose my entitlement for ever or can i renew my licence at a later stage should i wish to return to driving. or would i have to start all over again… ie. pass my test again.

hope this makes sence :smiley: thanks

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

i have a class c driving licence but not currently working in the industry. ive had a reminder that i need to take a medical to keep the entitlement. £100 for the medical.
if i dont renew, do i lose my entitlement for ever or can i renew my licence at a later stage should i wish to return to driving. or would i have to start all over again… ie. pass my test again.

You should be able to get a HGV medical for around £50, don’t go to your GP for a HGV medical as most of them over charge for it.

Not having the medical means you lose your HGV entitlement until you do pass a HGV medical, if you do not renew your HGV licence now you can do it at anytime in the future by passing the HGV medical.

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

You should be able to get a HGV medical for around £50, don’t go to your GP for a HGV medical as most of them over charge for it.

Not having the medical means you lose your HGV entitlement until you do pass a HGV medical, if you do not renew your HGV licence now you can do it at anytime in the future by passing the HGV medical.

thank you, and thanks for the tip of not using the doctor, one more question. if there a fee to renew the licence?

As far as I can remember the fee for renewing the HGV licence is the same as that for renewing a car licence which is about £17.

But I could bee wrong about that :wink:

tachograph:
As far as I can remember the fee for renewing the HGV licence is the same as that for renewing a car licence which is about £17.

It is still free as at last October

waddy640:

tachograph:

It is still free as at last October

That’s even better :smiley:

Thank you.

Remember that if you let your DCPC lapse and/or your digi card you will have to renew them as well.

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

Terrible advice , I had one of these cheap £50 ones at Lincoln , are you diabetic , not sure , no then , eye sight ok , not the best , ok , I was in and out in mins
If I’d of gone to doctors I’m sure they’d of picked up I was diabetic ( previous ones they’d found is it sugar in pee ) but after sending away I passed ,
If I’d of been diagnosed with diabetis years earlier I’d probably not have the issues I have with legs / feet , eyes I have now
You might save a few £££ but your health is more important , have a proper medical , or you’ll live to regret it like me

dozy:

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

Terrible advice , I had one of these cheap £50 ones at Lincoln , are you diabetic , not sure , no then , eye sight ok , not the best , ok , I was in and out in mins
If I’d of gone to doctors I’m sure they’d of picked up I was diabetic ( previous ones they’d found is it sugar in pee ) but after sending away I passed ,
If I’d of been diagnosed with diabetis years earlier I’d probably not have the issues I have with legs / feet , eyes I have now
You might save a few £££ but your health is more important , have a proper medical , or you’ll live to regret it like me

If you have no medical issues it is fine to go for a cheap medical (although you have to book well in advance - at least n my area) but if you have an issue you will need your Doc to back you up and so going to them for a medical/advice might be a better idea even if it costs you more. DVLA wrote to my doc four times because I have high blood pressure.

Actually renewing your licence cost you nothing, did mine recently after 12 years.

iirc £30 was the going rate for a cheap medical

If you can walk in and out of the room and see the “doctor” you’ll be good to go!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

dozy:

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

Paying for a medical for licencing reasons should have nothing to do with seeking medical advice if you suspect you have a problem.
I know I am not diabetic, I don’t need a doctor to tell me that!

dozy:

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

When I returned to HGV driving in the early 2000s I had my HGV medical at my GPs practice and they charged me over £140 for it, the doctor asked me the questions on the D4 form and completed the form according to the answers I gave him, it was a complete farce, the urine test and eye sight test was the same as I had later at cheap medicals.

I’m not sure what you mean about sending a urine test away and you still passed, at a HGV medical the urine test consists of placing test strips in the urine to see if the test strips change colour, the changing colour can be an indication of possible problems but as far as I’m aware it’s the same urine test your own GP would do at a HGV medical, you would never be diagnosed with diabetes on the basis of a urine test, you need a blood test for that.

I’m sorry you have diabetes but I doubt it not being diagnosed earlier has much if anything to do with you having a cheap HGV medical.

Just set mine up…

Which has cost me £59.99 inc VAT.

VAT!!! on a bleedin’ medical!?

■■■■■■■■■

if you have any medical problems then i would advise you go to your own medical practice and get your medical done there, yes its more expensive but your own doctors have all the correct information on your medical history which will save hassle later on.
i have a work mate who has medical issues but decided to use a hgv medical for £50 to renew his licence instead of his own doctor, he is now sat at home because the doctor has wrongly put information on the form and dvla have revoked his licence until this is sorted out which might take a few days or could take a few weeks.

scotstrucker:
if you have any medical problems then i would advise you go to your own medical practice and get your medical done there, yes its more expensive but your own doctors have all the correct information on your medical history which will save hassle later on.
i have a work mate who has medical issues but decided to use a hgv medical for £50 to renew his licence instead of his own doctor, he is now sat at home because the doctor has wrongly put information on the form and dvla have revoked his licence until this is sorted out which might take a few days or could take a few weeks.

My licence…

Has just dropped through my letter box onto the mat.
I posted it on Monday 23rd June with registered 1st class post.
No medical problems were diagnosed and I’ve got the green light for another 5 years.

As an aside, I have taken advantage of the NHS Adult Health Check programme. I am checked for all the things that junior members of the old ■■■■■ club may be susceptable.
Having studiously avoided having my prostate checked, last year I used the much more civilised PSA check system.

All system are go!

yourhavingalarf:

scotstrucker:

My licence…

Has just dropped through my letter box onto the mat.
I posted it on Monday 23rd June with registered 1st class post.
No medical problems were diagnosed and I’ve got the green light for another 5 years.

As an aside, I have taken advantage of the NHS Adult Health Check programme. I am checked for all the things that junior members of the old ■■■■■ club may be susceptable.
Having studiously avoided having my prostate checked, last year I used the much more civilised PSA check system.

All system are go!

11 months to get a renewal! [emoji51]
(I note that 23 May 2022 was also a Monday [emoji6])
Did they ask if you knew what day it was in the medical? [emoji16]

stu675:
11 months to get a renewal! [emoji51]

Whoops…

My bad, 23rd May, a 7 day turn around.

52quid driversmedicals.com/ using code summer52, booked mine today for later in June, none available locally earlier :angry:

dozy:

tachograph:

Jacobaz:
HI guys,

Well said Dozy could not agree more.Saving money is one thing,but saving your health on the long term is much better. Like what is often said getting the quality is much to do with how much you pay.