7.5 ton limits and "except for access" (or not)?

Perhaps a dumb question (aka “I should already know that!”), but I’m struggling to find an official answer to this question:

What is the difference between a 7.5 ton weight limit, and a 7.5 ton weight limit that includes the sign “except for access”■■?

If I’m delivering there, I’m delivering there, so I can enter in either case?

So what is the difference?

One means you can go into it to deliver.

One means you can’t unless your vehicle is 7.5t or under. Even for deliveries.

“Exept for access” means that there is no physical reason for the 7.5 limit, but rather that the locals don’t want trucks trhiugh their village, to avoid rat run, or because there are parts not really wide enough for big vehicles to pass. Thee are many more of those.

A limit without an exception is usually because of a physical and absolute limit, such as a weak bridge or culvert.

Exactly as above.
7.5t no except for access plate means 7.5t weight limit no exceptions. Above 7.5t,enter at your peril.

TruckerGuy:

Only if you’re happy to pay any fines that may come your way.

As said above, if the sign does not say except for access or similar you cannot legally enter the zone in a vehicle wover 7.5t.

tachograph:

TruckerGuy:

As said above, if the sign does not say except for access or similar you cannot legally enter the zone in a vehicle wover 7.5t.

Yikes! :blush:

I haven’t started driving yet so none broken, and I’m pleased I asked!

Interesting… around here there are many WITHOUT, yet look just like residential limits rather than because of weak something. :confused:

Thanks!

TruckerGuy:
Interesting… around here there are many WITHOUT, yet look just like residential limits rather than because of weak something. :confused:

Not all weight restrictions are because of weak bridges or weak anything else, I’d say most weight restrictions are either because the roads are considered to be unsuitable for heavy vehicles or they’re put in place because people don’t want lorries thundering past their front doors :smiley:

TruckerGuy:

tachograph:

TruckerGuy:

Thanks!

Remember utilities such as water, sewage, electricity, gas, sometimes optical fibre and so on also criss cross residential streets, sometimes very close to the surface. It may be that the weight limit is there as to protect whatever is under a weak thiner road surface. Once going around pay attention to sinking manhole covers in residential areas where artics normally trod on and you’ll see what I mean.

osark:

TruckerGuy:

tachograph:

TruckerGuy:

Thanks!

Remember utilities such as water, sewage, electricity, gas, sometimes optical fibre and so on also criss cross residential streets, sometimes very close to the surface. It may be that the weight limit is there as to protect whatever is under a weak thiner road surface.

Yes indeed. Old clay drainage pipes and so on

osark:
Remember utilities such as water, sewage, electricity, gas, sometimes optical fibre and so on also criss cross residential streets, sometimes very close to the surface. It may be that the weight limit is there as to protect whatever is under a weak thiner road surface. Once going around pay attention to sinking manhole covers in residential areas where artics normally trod on and you’ll see what I mean.

Yes - that’s a good point.

There are plenty of examples around me (city) where this has happened. The roads have no restrictions on them.

How heavy was the paver and road planer that made the road in the first place. The good old NIMBYS dont mind them so much.

^^^^ I doubt that they object to the local bin wagon emptying their bins either. I also can’t see them complaining when Blue watch come hooning along to extinguish their thatched roofs either.

thing i dont get is its us lorry drivers who get it all these restrictions and stuff

they are literally council bus routes were double decker buses go through 7.5 ton signs no except for access just a simple 7.5 red sign surely a bus is over 7.5ton ? have even seen coaches use this route too

so my point is its mostly a haux, its mostly anti truck sign

a lovely example… perfectly acceptable for a bus or coach to go thru? but no not us lorrys!

TruckDriverBen:
thing i dont get is its us lorry drivers who get it all these restrictions and stuff

they are literally council bus routes were double decker buses go through 7.5 ton signs no except for access just a simple 7.5 red sign surely a bus is over 7.5ton ? have even seen coaches use this route too

so my point is its mostly a haux, its mostly anti truck sign

a lovely example… perfectly acceptable for a bus or coach to go thru? but no not us lorrys!

the offical theory is that buses are on a schedule so there are only so many in a given time period where as you could get 20 lorries going over in an hour.

I susspect that aunty doris and the blue rinse brigade dont want dirty lorries going past thier door but want to catch the bus to go to the bingo.

Used to take 7.5/18 ton trucks over this weight limit bridge to the yard. They also had artics going over it and my old boss also ended up putting an artic on his fleet after I left going over it every day. 12 foot bridge the other side of the small industrial estate.

So anything taller than 12 foot had to use the 3 ton limit weak bridge. Makes a mockery of a weak bridge limit when it clearly handles the weight of much heavier trucks.

Whether the estate still has trucks running in and out of it I don’t know as I’m going back to the early 2000’s.

Marston Hall and it’s grounds were taken over in the mid 19th century by The London Brick Works for storage of bricks so had lorries coming and going all the time. Not sure when the London brickworks moved out of the site.

When I worked there it was mostly parking for trucks and a few old buildings and storage containers being used for car repairs and such like. One of which was used for truck repairs.

I can’t remember when but the land owner had the site developed and built some proper industrial units on the land.

I think a number of truck owners had stopped using it for parking by then.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Also, if you do go through a weight restriction, you must go out the way you went in, I know someone who didn’t and got fined by the plods waiting at the other end!!!

the maoster:
^^^^ I doubt that they object to the local bin wagon emptying their bins either. I also can’t see them complaining when Blue watch come hooning along to extinguish their thatched roofs either.

Yes a full bin wagon is 32t over 3 axles also roads don’t sink because of heavy vehicles (only) but because the ground underneath the surface is eroded away (I watched a video on youtube on the subject that makes me an expert so take my word for it)

Stephenjp:
Also, if you do go through a weight restriction, you must go out the way you went in, I know someone who didn’t and got fined by the plods waiting at the other end!!!

That has a distinct flavour of MMTM or RDC bullshine. There is no legal basis for it as the offence is committed by proceeding into the weight restriction without it being necessary in order to access premises (or for loading, depending on the signs). There is nothing in any legislation requiring you to use the same route out again.

Another favourite is the assertion that you must take the shortest route. Again, it is simply not true.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

7.5 limit except for access
7.5 limit could be to stop anything above taking a shortcut, as we all know there`s sometimes a shortcut through a residential area that saves a bit of time .

simcor:
Used to take 7.5/18 ton trucks over this weight limit bridge to the yard. They also had artics going over it and my old boss also ended up putting an artic on his fleet after I left going over it every day. 12 foot bridge the other side of the small industrial estate.

So anything taller than 12 foot had to use the 3 ton limit weak bridge. Makes a mockery of a weak bridge limit when it clearly handles the weight of much heavier trucks.

Whether the estate still has trucks running in and out of it I don’t know as I’m going back to the early 2000’s.

Marston Hall and it’s grounds were taken over in the mid 19th century by The London Brick Works for storage of bricks so had lorries coming and going all the time. Not sure when the London brickworks moved out of the site.

When I worked there it was mostly parking for trucks and a few old buildings and storage containers being used for car repairs and such like. One of which was used for truck repairs.

I can’t remember when but the land owner had the site developed and built some proper industrial units on the land.

I think a number of truck owners had stopped using it for parking by then.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

There’s a 3 ton bridge in Stoke off chemical lane, hundreds of trucks go over it as it’s the only way into two big company (land recovery and Browns distribution)

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk