Considering a mechanical apprenticeship at 33

Afternoon folks
Putting this post up in the hope I can find someone who has done what I’d like to do, and hear your opinion on what it’s like as a HGV mechanic

So I’m 33 years old have been driving trucks for 7 years and after finding out my current company has lost a big contract meaning I either transfer to the new company (which is 30+ miles away each way per day) or I’m out of a job next month

I have been craving change for a long time and now I think with this kick up the arse that time has come I’d like to get an apprenticeship as a HGV mechanic but Im not sure if 33 is too old? Have always enjoyed working on my own cars over the years self taught from brakes and servicing to clutch and engine swaps

Change from just driving them is definitely something I’d like, so just wondering if you’re a HGV mechanic what’s your opinion on the job day in day out? Is it rewarding pay wise? Did you actually go to college or is the city and guilds done in-house?

I’ve read in the past some mechanics moved over to driving the complete opposite to what I want to do, anyone hear done that? And if so why?

Thanks in advance.

I can’t help with much advice but I did an evening class at City of Bristol College where I know they run a number of relevant courses I think from memory the students are mainly day release or similar while also working.

Speaking to previous employer they mentioned there were a number of firms in town currently looking for HGV mechanics including themselves but I could imagine there could be a few years at apprentice level before getting some qualifications under your belt.

There’s been a few posts on here over the years from hgv fitters who are desperate to get out of the game and get out on the road due to the poor wages.

id say go for it , now or never. I did 21 yrs in a truck workshop and made a reasonable living with very little stress have no regrets

You now get paid less than a driver does but not everything is about pay.

If you’re working in a company’s own garage it’s likely to be the same repetitive thing, common faults you’ll get on that model of vehicle they run, electrical faults on lights, brake chambers going, susies, curtain repairs lots of curtain repairs and tyres, replacing broken mirrors and then regular servicing and safety checks. And if you’re unlucky you’re the one who gets delegated to taking units and trailers for MOT.

If you’re working in a dealership garage it’s mostly going to be safety checks and servicing and the really pain in the backside stuff that fleets own workshops can’t resolve.

Everything is much heavier and a pain in the backside, nowadays you really need to be clued up on the auto electrical side of things as many faults, especially on DAFs, are electronics issues, and even on stuff a few years old you’re going to be dealing with things like rusted up nuts and bolts you’d not expect to find on a car until it’s 10-15 years old.

Saying that though until I royally knackered my back on the spanners I thoroughly enjoyed it.

TruckerAds:
Afternoon folks
Putting this post up in the hope I can find someone who has done what I’d like to do, and hear your opinion on what it’s like as a HGV mechanic

So I’m 33 years old have been driving trucks for 7 years and after finding out my current company has lost a big contract meaning I either transfer to the new company (which is 30+ miles away each way per day) or I’m out of a job next month

I have been craving change for a long time and now I think with this kick up the arse that time has come I’d like to get an apprenticeship as a HGV mechanic but Im not sure if 33 is too old? Have always enjoyed working on my own cars over the years self taught from brakes and servicing to clutch and engine swaps

Change from just driving them is definitely something I’d like, so just wondering if you’re a HGV mechanic what’s your opinion on the job day in day out? Is it rewarding pay wise? Did you actually go to college or is the city and guilds done in-house?

I’ve read in the past some mechanics moved over to driving the complete opposite to what I want to do, anyone hear done that? And if so why?

Thanks in advance.

I wish I had that chance. Grab it with both hands. Once a fully qualified mechanic, you may find it easier to keep on adding skllls, maybe even aircraft mechanic?

It is still a filthy-dirty heavy job, not as bad as it was since autolube systems disappeared thank goodness, but tippers still puke oil everywhere and are covered in muck. At 33 and with experience as a driver you are more attractive to an employer than you might think; it is that practical experience of driving that helps, you will be more readily able to ask the complaining driver the right questions to help trace the real fault. So many fitters think they know the answer anyway and don’t really bother. There are a lot of really big-headed fitters out there.

The ‘boring’ classwork may seem irrelevant, but you do need to have or acquire the maths and science ability to work out very basic examples like: what fuse rating is needed for a circuit, or roughly how much fuel a tank will hold having measured its dimensions, or what the effect will be if wheel cylinders with a larger bore are fitted? It gets a lot more complicated than that.

The money is with the main dealers but that will be for the really able who get the difficult diagnoses correct and rectify the problem quickly. The less able end up on repetitive servicing work. It can be a pressurised environment, many of the labour times are just a joke but the management will be on your back to meet them. If you are the sort of person who wants to DO the job rather than just tick the box, then your lazy workmates will aggravate you when you realise they are getting more money for an easier life.

If you like challenges, take pride in what you do and get a sense of achievement from it, want to fully understand the theory of operation of a system rather than just how to replace a defective part then you have the right frame of mind to enjoy your work. The amount of money you are going to have to spend on tools will frighten you and possibly cause domestic upset, as will the rotating shifts you may end up doing.

Problem is, as a trainee, you will be on low money.
You need to make sure your are secure with money before you take the leap.

Bus companies are often taking on trainees;
google.com/search?q=bus+mec … AAAA%3D%3D

google.com/search?q=bus+mec … AAAA%3D%3D

A neighbours son is working at the Mercedes dealership in Sheffield and is on wheelbarrow wages, and he earns it too. Your going to have to sell the wife, the kids and a kidney to fund your tool budget, the snap on guy will think you’ve won the lottery

Our place has just taken on a 30 year old ,from what i have been told ,he has to learn everything in 2 years ,i dont know what the college side of it will be ,but he gets visits from somebody every so many months …Would i recommend this trade ,not in a million years ,you spend a fortune on tools to make someone else a profit ,there is no thanks ,customers are a moaning and complaining 24/7 …Don’t turn up for inspection when it is booked in and think they can just turn up when they want and we will be straight on to it …Then when they get told no ,it’s emails and phone calls to the manufacturer,saying how we are refusing to drop others who are booked in for them A thankless job with unrealistic customers …Nowdays i do not put myself out for a customer,i go home at knock off time and if it isn’t done ,tough …Years ago it was a pleasure to help people out and they would say thanks

I started a five year apprenticeship as a motor mechanic with a Ford dealer in 1966. The basic wage then was £3:10s per week and the skilled mechanics were on around £15 per week. I left after 2 years as my Father insisted that I gave my Mother £5 per week towards my keep.

I have built up on the knowledge I gained during those two years and have maintained my own vehicles ever since then including a Ford Cargo lowloader and two coaches, one of which I still own.

I have avoided doing work on other peoples cars as they seem to think they get a lifetime warranty on any work you do.