Running out of hours while queuing

Got to the Dover after 9hrs, still 1hr45 ahead of my booking time. Waited 4hrs (on break) to get to first passport control then snaked another 2hrs to get to holding Lane. Now in my 14th hour and still not boarded yet. After the 2hr crossing and another 50min drive to truckstop I’ll be way over the 15hr limit. Can anyone advise me what to do?

Print out and write at the back

Also if you are going on a ferry they are special rules for tacho too so your allowed a bit of leeway

When making a ferry crossing you may ignore interruptions to your daily rest as long as you do not interrupt it more than twice (once to get on the ferry and once to get off). These interruptions musn’t be more than 1 hour in total. They do not count towards your rest period.

If you have interrupted your rest with a ferry crossing, then you must take a regular daily rest of at least 11 hours. You cannot reduce this rest period. In a situation where your interruptions exceed 1 hour in total you will be required to take your full daily rest as normal and all events prior to the rest will be included in your previous duty

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

AFAIK the rules allow you to interrupt your rest twice as above to board and disembark the ferry but no more than 1 hour total. Then you need your daily rest of no less than 11 hours.

Never used ferry mode myself so maybe someone else can confirm that is correct

Interesting… so in theory if I run out of time and I’m less then 1hr away from base I can get away with ferry modding it how will they know if I was on ferry or not apart from eject and seeing in still in UK

TruckDriverBen:
Interesting… so in theory if I run out of time and I’m less then 1hr away from base I can get away with ferry modding it how will they know if I was on ferry or not apart from eject and seeing in still in UK

Nope. Ferry mode allows 2 interruptions to your daily rest period as I read it. The duration between both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total. So enough time to embark or disembark and park up, not drive for a prolonged period during your rest. DVSA are not stupid they know what they are looking for tacho wise in Gerry mode usage you would not pull the wool over their eyes.

Imo anyway.

simcor:
[ The duration between both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total.

So what about a 2 hour crossing?
The duration OF both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total.

How do you access ferry mode? Never seen it on a tacho I’ve used.

simcor:

TruckDriverBen:

Nope. Ferry mode allows 2 interruptions to your daily rest period as I read it. The duration between both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total. So enough time to embark or disembark and park up, not drive for a prolonged period during your rest. DVSA are not stupid they know what they are looking for tacho wise in Gerry mode usage you would not pull the wool over their eyes.

Imo anyway.

No harm fella but suggest you look up ferry crossings before spouting about it.

Your rest can be interrupted twice there is no limit on the gap between interruptions but the two movements must not be over an hour in total. In the case of the OP as he is at 14 hours into his spread over he cannot use the ferry mode because with his movements and 11 hours rest it will take him outside of his 24 hour period unless he has had a continous 3 hour break during the day.
To keep yourself right with any ferry movements aim to arrive at the departure port within 12 hours then you can use the full hour for your two shunts as well as having 11 hours break within your 24 hour period, arriving at the port after 12 hours and not getting the 11 hours rest in inside your 24 hour period is what causes the vast majority of infringements with ferry movements

TruckDriverBen:

I’m guessing the fact that the nearest ferry is more than an hour away from your base might be the giveaway. Someone in Birmingham for example is going to have a hard time to explain it.

If they suspect what you’ve told them isn’t the whole truth they can get other evidence such as planning and your run sheets from your employer, times you were booked in and out of collections/deliveries and from the download from the tacho head work out fairly accurately which route you took.

At that point once they’ve managed to get enough proof you’ve been lying the ante is upped from being a mere driving hours infringement and a slap on the wrist and maybe a small fine to falsifying records and potentially perverting the course of justice including the possibility of a prison sentence as more than one person who has got speeding and put someone else down as driving has found out especially a certain former Peterborough MP.

Mazzer2:

simcor:

TruckDriverBen:

Imo anyway.

No harm fella but suggest you look up ferry crossings before spouting about it.

Your rest can be interrupted twice there is no limit on the gap between interruptions but the two movements must not be over an hour in total. In the case of the OP as he is at 14 hours into his spread over he cannot use the ferry mode because with his movements and 11 hours rest it will take him outside of his 24 hour period unless he has had a continous 3 hour break during the day.
To keep yourself right with any ferry movements aim to arrive at the departure port within 12 hours then you can use the full hour for your two shunts as well as having 11 hours break within your 24 hour period, arriving at the port after 12 hours and not getting the 11 hours rest in inside your 24 hour period is what causes the vast majority of infringements with ferry movements

Simple error, I knew what I meant and yes reading it back it isn’t right the way I worded it. I did mean 2 interruptions of no more than 1 hour, not 2 interruptions no more than an hour apart. As I had posted further up the page.

stu675:

simcor:
[ The duration between both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total.

So what about a 2 hour crossing?
The duration OF both interruptions can be no longer than 1 hour in total.

As above. I had already previously said 2 interruptions of no more than 1 hour total. It made sense to me when I wrote it, but using between changes the sentence completely.

Glensroadblues:
Got to the Dover after 9hrs, still 1hr45 ahead of my booking time. Waited 4hrs (on break) to get to first passport control then snaked another 2hrs to get to holding Lane. Now in my 14th hour and still not boarded yet. After the 2hr crossing and another 50min drive to truckstop I’ll be way over the 15hr limit. Can anyone advise me what to do?

Is the ferry late? If so when were you made aware of it? It may be unforseen circumstance, so allowable as an excuse with a printout and explanation. If the ferry is not late then you didn’t plan it properly and no excuse and you should have had a daily rest before you got on, or finish it using ferry mode, during the ferry journey.

TruckDriverBen:

Apart from the fact that you still have to complete the daily rest within the 24 hour period, what you’re talking about is classed as fraud which if caught is more serious than running a bit over your time.

kentlive.news/news/kent-new … es-6898498

I got stuck on A1/m25 r/o yesterday , they’d shut the slip onto clockwise m25 , it took nearly 1 1/2 hrs to get round the r/o , just told to bring load back to yard as no time to tip it & get back , they’d rebook it
I was impressed , no shouting / throwing my dummy out pram , I assumed as agency they’d not give a ■■■■ if I didn’t get back , as long as it was tipped , but they were sound , even rang to make sure I could get back , if not they’d get me , got back ok .

stu675:

On a Stoneridge head go into the menu scroll down to places push ok scroll down to Ferry/train push ok and job done

Mazzer2:

stu675:

On a Stoneridge head go into the menu scroll down to places push ok scroll down to Ferry/train push ok and job done

And on a VDO unit, Menu/Entry Vehicle and scroll to (pictogram of a ship) - > begin.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks both!

I wouldn’t stress about it, two weeks back I got to the tunnel French side on 11hrs and it was 6hrs before getting on a train and then over an hour UK side before parking on a duel carriageway flyover roundabout as the services and truckstops were full and you get fined in the laybys. Lucky for me I rarely use the Dover/Calais route as its knackered.