Yellow box junctions

According to this blurb…

standard.co.uk/news/uk/gove … 91849.html

Councils will soon get powers to prosecute rule breakers. I find this particularly irksome because it’s nigh on impossible to observe the rules in an artic at a very busy box junction. For example, the roundabout leading to Sainsbury’s at the Dartford crossing. No way in hell can you legitimately make it across without breaking the rules when it’s backing up for miles each way. The whole thing is a bun fight fight from lunchtime onwards on a Friday. I’m sure you lot can think of other ones that will earn you a ticket.
I can see me refusing to do the drop. Why should I get penalised when the system is clearly not fit for purpose?
It’s little more than racketeering.

yourhavingalarf:
According to this blurb…

Councils will soon get powers to prosecute rule breakers. I find this particularly irksome because it’s nigh on impossible to observe the rules in an artic at a very busy box junction. For example, the roundabout leading to Sainsbury’s at the Dartford crossing. No way in hell can you legitimately make it across without breaking the rules when it’s backing up for miles each way. The whole thing is a bun fight fight from lunchtime onwards on a Friday. I’m sure you lot can think of other ones that will earn you a ticket.
I can see me refusing to do the drop. Why should I get penalised when the system is clearly not fit for purpose?

The law needs changing if a car struggles to clear a box junction how the hell is a trailer going to manoeuvre if I was given a ticket I would record the said box junction at peek time’s and let a judge tell me how I can cross without blocking

Kent Council are trying to enforce the box junctions a junction 1 b on top of m25
Good lucky getting a lorry across if the tunnels are F- - KED.

Ones In central London are on camera and issue tickets.

Personally what should to is reset the traffic light timings as I find half the problem is your light goes green you drive hundred yards there on red you wait they eventually turn green but in mean time there’s cars behind you joining traffic lights turn green they then pile in causing the problem.
They should set timings on lights better in my opinion

edd1974:
Ones In central London are on camera and issue tickets.

Personally what should to is reset the traffic light timings as I find half the problem is your light goes green you drive hundred yards there on red you wait they eventually turn green but in mean time there’s cars behind you joining traffic lights turn green they then pile in causing the problem.
They should set timings on lights better in my opinion

They obviously set the light phasing to create maximum congestion and opportunities for revenue raising.See it all the time in London usually a box junction as part of a series of lights with the lights ahead set to turn red just after the ones behind turn green.

Consultation details for Kent here:

letstalk.kent.gov.uk/15061/widg … ents/25180

It’s no good complaining if you don’t take part.

yourhavingalarf:
According to this blurb…

Councils will soon get powers to prosecute rule breakers. I find this particularly irksome because it’s nigh on impossible to observe the rules in an artic at a very busy box junction. For example, the roundabout leading to Sainsbury’s at the Dartford crossing. No way in hell can you legitimately make it across without breaking the rules when it’s backing up for miles each way.

After getting a ticket for this very scenario at the top of the Tyne Tunnel many years ago from a policeman stood on the traffic island at the roundabout who could see clearly what went on and the car pulling into the gap I’d let build up at the exit I was taking after I’d set off meaning I literally had a couple of feet of the rear of my trailer left overhanging it and not blocking anyone from the exit I’d passed from getting on I got a ticket. From that point onwards I vowed to not enter a roundabout until my exit was clear and guarantees of nobody jumping in front of it to fill it and if that meant bringing the entire area around it to a gridlock then so be it. And when the inevitable trafpol turn up to see what’s going on they’d get told and then it’s up to them to sort it out.

yourhavingalarf:
According to this blurb…

Get used to it you obviously don’t drive in London as you will get knicked entering them there.

robthedog:
Get used to it you obviously don’t drive in London as you will get knicked entering them there.

That was…

The point of my post rob.

Just sit at at the box junction and not enter it. When traffic comes to a standstill, explain to the powers that be that you are driving a truck , cameras are not set up for trucks or large vehicles in the UK. Say you don’t want points or a fine so you have to wait there.
I remember speaking to a bus driver in London, there was a traffic light system that used to catch buses out. The lights would change to amber just as the bus entered,already committed and would flash the bus drivers. A few got points and a fine. The drivers stated they couldn’t just slam the brakes on with passengers.
Eventually the union got involved. Bus drivers would basically stop at the green light or slow right down, to eliminate the risk of not getting flashed.

Eventually traffic built up and buses ran very late. TFL got involved.The authorities then changed the traffic light sequences.

The RAC is calling on the Government to improve its official design, maintenance and enforcement guidance to councils to avoid thousands of drivers being wrongly fined. fleetnews.co.uk/news/compan … m-councils

Sad to say that it’s never changed since the yellow box junctions began to be used. I was in Oxford street back in the 70’s waiting to turn right at a box junction with a rigid. The road I wanted kept filling up so I couldn’t move. Some gormless ■■■■ driving a cab got out and started shouting at me to move. What was going on was so sodding obvious that I just laughed at him. He got so worked up that he went storming off back to his cab, tripped over the keep left island and chinned himself on the tarmac… made me laugh even more. :laughing:

peterm:
Sad to say that it’s never changed since the yellow box junctions began to be used. I was in Oxford street back in the 70’s waiting to turn right at a box junction with a rigid. The road I wanted kept filling up so I couldn’t move. Some gormless [zb] driving a cab got out and started shouting at me to move. What was going on was so sodding obvious that I just laughed at him. He got so worked up that he went storming off back to his cab, tripped over the keep left island and chinned himself on the tarmac… made me laugh even more. [emoji38]

Why was there a problem? You can enter a box junction if you’re turning right.

stu675:

peterm:
Sad to say that it’s never changed since the yellow box junctions began to be used. I was in Oxford street back in the 70’s waiting to turn right at a box junction with a rigid. The road I wanted kept filling up so I couldn’t move. Some gormless [zb] driving a cab got out and started shouting at me to move. What was going on was so sodding obvious that I just laughed at him. He got so worked up that he went storming off back to his cab, tripped over the keep left island and chinned himself on the tarmac… made me laugh even more. [emoji38]

Why was there a problem? You can enter a box junction if you’re turning right.

Sure you can. And get fined if your exit isn’t clear.

Thanks exit.