£1000 fine for driver because cyclist 'fell over'

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -lane.html

I really cant see what he did wrong. Yea, I guess he might of been going a bit fast. But he didnt touch her or cause them to take evasive action.

The Maradona of…

The cycling world.

I think the speed of the cyclist makes the land rover look like it’s going faster than it is. He should not have changed his plea to guilty.
Having seen the video, as the driver I would say I passed them at 5mph and then sped off when they started shouting expletives at me.

Soppy cow that can’t ride cost’s a bloke a lot of money and points. What about her offensive language then?

Way I see it ge should have slowed down instead of just plowing on.
On the other hand £1000?..really? :unamused: a bit disproportionate I reckon, but they do like to ‘‘make money out of a mole hill.’’ don’t they. :unamused:
Good old UK justice system strikes again.

what a crock the other two riders managed to stay up right with the person at the back manageing to turn round if anything it doesnt show what actualy happened weather she deliberatly fell into the ditch or couldnt un clip her feet from the pedals when the one in the front stopped.

Three cyclists riding in single file on a country lane Land Rover came towards them with enough room not to hit them.
Cyclist 1 stayed on
Cyclist 2 fell off into the ditch AFTER the driver had clearly passed
Cyclist 3 stayed on with helmet camera running and even had time to stick his/ her fingers up at the driver
My question is why did cyclist 1&3 stay their bikes on and 2 did not
Admit the driver could have perhaps slowed down BUT was he actually speeding enough to cause cyclist 2 to fall into the ditch or was she not concentrating by trying to speak to her friends about the drivers speed.
Who knows who was in the right or wrong £1000 seems very excessive,but with the latest laws about protecting cyclists and pedestrians are they changes in the laws that people do not think about.

peterm:
Soppy cow that can’t ride cost’s a bloke a lot of money and points. What about her offensive language then?

Nail…head.

What happened to being responsible for your own safety when out on the roads? Maybe become proficient on a bike before going out with your mate? Seems the lady in question needs the £1000 to pay for a bike proficiency course so she can stay on it properly and learn how to put her foot on the floor when she gets a wobble on.

The driver in question could have slowed down a bit but he wasn’t close enough to touch anyone so 5 points seems a bit much and the fine is way over the top. I expect he was made an example of because of the highway code update. The fact that the lady still had her legs in the clips when she landed is the bigger issue and if so I expect it probably won’t be the last time she finds herself cycling sideways on the floor.

Videos can be deceptive but it does look like the driver should have slowed down a bit, it looks to me like another cyclist who’s got all the gear but none of the ability.

I could understand the police paying the driver a visit and cautioning him about his driving but a £1,000 fine and five points is very disproportionate to the offence, the driver is partly in the wrong but it’s hardly his fault that a cyclist who’s dressed up to the nines as a proper cyclist lacks basic cycling ability.

I do a fair bit of cycling and this doesnt look fair to me. The rider is clipped into the pedals ,the shoes and pedals unite a bit like ski boots and bindings. Its her own fault that she lost control. Puts me in mind of a football player taking a dive.

£1000 fine and points will just be the start, call me cynical but there will probably be now a claim for damages, mental distress and other conditions which will probably net the cyclist a nice sum in compo.

Looks like a new cyclist to me. That happens the first few times you wear cleats. A few embarrassing falls next to traffic at red lights is usually enough to teach you to clip out.

She’ll make a few quid whilst learning the lesson!

She turns her head around and lifts her arm up to make a gesture when he’s past but fails to control her bike and goes into the ditch because she’s not looking where she’s going, distracted riding. Besides, don’t you still give way to the bigger vehicle ? They should have stopped and moved to the edge of the road to let the bigger vehicle pass but yes I realize it’s harder to get a bicycle moving again once it’s stopped.

remy:
She turns her head around and lifts her arm up to make a gesture when he’s past but fails to control her bike and goes into the ditch because she’s not looking where she’s going, distracted riding.

It was the rear cyclist with the camera who looked back and gestured, the one who fell over was the one in front of the cyclist with the camera, there’s nothing in the video to suggest she took her eyes off the road, though I suspect that may be what happened, in fact it’s possible that the one who fell over was distracted by the screaming of the camera woman or possibly even hit by her.

remy:
Besides, don’t you still give way to the bigger vehicle ?

Not in the UK, we now prioritise the most venerable road users so in some cases even pedestrians have priority over motor vehicles, and I’m not just talking about at pedestrian crossings… you couldn’t make it up could you :laughing:

scotstrucker:
£1000 fine and points will just be the start, call me cynical but there will probably be now a claim for damages, mental distress and other conditions which will probably net the cyclist a nice sum in compo.

Funny you mentioned about a claim my Wife not driver or cyclist saw the video and she said exactly the same thing

Can see where get £1000 pound in a way as pedal bikes these days are expensive.
But shouldn’t of been a claim made.
The woman on the bike wasn’t fully in control.
Can’t see a reason why she fell off otheres didn’t.
All a nonsense story if you ask me.

But now it’s out there it’s probably set a precedent for other cyclists . Wobble off and you can make a claim

edd1974:

But now it’s out there it’s probably set a precedent for other cyclists . Wobble off and you can make a claim

This anti car pro cyclist road user agenda was always going to end like this.Drivers are going to be victimised in what is just a reclaim the streets type of protest and a crash for cash scammers charter.
The implications of this type of evil false witness agenda shouldn’t be underestimated.
Cyclist deliberately throws themselves to the ground innocent driver goes to jail.

tachograph:
[we now prioritise the most venerable road users so in some cases even pedestrians have priority over motor vehicles, and I’m not just talking about at pedestrian crossings… you couldn’t make it up could you :laughing:

Except many cyclists seem to selectively ignore the bit that pedestrians are also above cyclists when crossing the road in that regard.
A bit like ignoring use of lights riding on the road at night but will happily use pavements when it suits them during the day.

edd1974:

It wasn’t a claim for anything. It was a fine (and penalty points) imposed by a magistrate’s court.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk