Start times

On class2 food multidrop since summer. Can start anytime between 1am and 8am with no particular pattern and short notice. Got my class1 but ever worked it.
What time do you all start work? Is general haulage as early starts? Question for both class1+2 folk!

RoadRunner92:
On class2 food multidrop since summer. Can start anytime between 1am and 8am with no particular pattern and short notice. Got my class1 but ever worked it.
What time do you all start work? Is general haulage as early starts? Question for both class1+2 folk!

Hauling spuds…

For Mason Bros, Boston, I had the most ridiculous start times. They’d want delivery in Northwich for 7am, I’d be getting up at half one, into the yard for half two, tyres kicked and out by 3. That gave me 45 minutes to play with for traffic or when I inevitably fell off my perch when the sun came up. FYI, when I got there at 7, they promptly all buggered off for breakfast anyway. Never got tipped till 8ish regardless.
If you want to get ahead of the game, you have to start at silly o’clock. Sadly, the drivers hours allows such stupidity to continue.

Pallet line work usually start about 6 am finish about 18 00
Depends what sector you work in.
We do general stuff anything really one drop a 2 b .
Then either run back or collect something to deliver next day

Tend start anything from 5 to 7.
Tomorrow starting at 8 only because I’m parked up outside my collection tomorrow which doesn’t open untill 8.

I normally start between 07:00 and 08:00, today was a late start at 10:15 as I had a Doc’s appointment, and tomorrow will be an early start at 06:00. I won’t start work before 06:00 or work after 18:00, my philosophy is that the daytime belongs to my employer but the evening and night belongs to me.

Find a job with a start time that suits you, they are out there & there are many options…

I was just thinking of doing a post about start times RoadRunner92 … I hope you don’t mind if I leave my question here, instead of stating another thread.

I would like to ask: What’s the earliest a “night” shift might start and finish?

Same run every day.
I start in Leeds at 11am pick up load in Bradford, down to hub at Hinckley, with a 2-3 hr brk at hub before I set off back up to Leeds at around 2000. Finish 2230.

Start at 6am most weekdays

Swordsy:
Same run every day.
I start in Leeds at 11am pick up load in Bradford, down to hub at Hinckley, with a 2-3 hr brk at hub before I set off back up to Leeds at around 2000. Finish 2230.

I’m not sure if that’s a dream job or boring, how do you find it?

Between 6 and 7
Never before 5,as that would put me on night rate…and there’s no shortage of volunteers for those start times.

Back in my days on Brs Oxford ,we had a great tramper called Ron (Rocket )Wilmot , he was asked by transport office to run nights ! he bluntly refused saying if Humans were made to work at night ,god would have fitted headlights in our forehead !!! :unamused: he never did do nights ,tramped in the day only . rip Ron , by the way mate i got your wee Scania dirty :laughing:

Last year was on nights 6 or 7pm start to 5 to 8am finish.

Now start at 4am, rarely get stuck in traffic on the outbound drive from base, might catch the tail end of a night closure if unlucky. Bed time is 6:30 - 7 though.

stu675:

Swordsy:
Same run every day.

I’m not sure if that’s a dream job or boring, how do you find it?

I prefer it. Some people like variety, I prefer knowing where Im going every day. Id quite happily do this run till I retire in 10 years or so :slight_smile:

I used to do nights 5 or 6pm start with a 3-4am finish. Before that days with 5-6am starts 5-6pm finish. This pattern Im on now is giving me the best sleep Ive had for decades Im getting a good 8 hours every night. On night shift I used to get about 6, on days you have to be in bed for about 10 and you dont get to sleep straight away so 6-7 hours sleep. Now I get in, chill out for an hour, go to bed at 11-11.30 and get up around 8ish with no alarm. Still gives me 2.5 hours time to myself every morning before work.

Start times depend who you work for and what the customer dictates

I generally start one minute after blowing under the limit.

the maoster:
I generally start one minute after blowing under the limit.

Ooh don’t start them off ffs man…
You know fine well you should be parking in a lay by miles from civilisation…like what I do.
You’ve let yourself down,.you’ve let your firm down…, and you’ve let the baby Jesus down. :unamused:

Btw my start time is 6am, with a strong attitude of CBA…, or if a Saturday morning to get back home for the football, I’m suddenlly Mr Keen and enthusiastic. :smiley:

I dont think it matters so much when someone starts and is purely a matter of preference.

What does matter is “start windows” where your time is say 5am but the firm has a two hour window either way or something like that. That is when the body doesn’t know what’s going on.

I start at 1am. I love it. And it’s 1am on all my working days, never changes. Not everyone’s cup of tea sure but having that fixed start time I know when to go to bed, how much kip I need etc etc etc

So toonsy, if you start at 1am, what time do you get up/finish/go to bed? Have you already been up for ages when you start at 1am? Just trying to get an idea of how people on nights organise their 24h, and do you change your routine on your days off or stick to it?

driveress:
So toonsy, if you start at 1am, what time do you get up/finish/go to bed? Have you already been up for ages when you start at 1am? Just trying to get an idea of how people on nights organise their 24h, and do you change your routine on your days off or stick to it?

I’m normally done by 11ish. I live ten mins away from work so I’m home by 11.15ish, shower then go straight to bed, wake up at around 4pm, get the kid, sort tea and that then I normally go back to bed about 8pm, up at midnight, shower and away I go.

Because of that I don’t need to flip my weekend. I finish 11ish Thursday, have a kip (or stay up, no work next day so doesn’t matter) then I go to bed “normal” time and wake up Friday at a more normal time. To get back into it I go to bed around 6ish on a Saturday evening.

Others who do my shift stay up until around 5ish then go to bed.

But its what works for you. I’ve never needed loads of sleep and I’ve always been able to drop off on demand but also drop off immediately :laughing: