M6 closed j15 -16 hgv accident

The northbound carriageway between Junction 15 (Stoke on Trent) and 16, is shut after a HGV crashed with another vehicle and crossed over to the opposite side of the motorway.

0_M6-crash-2001.jpg

Hope no one was in the passenger seat of that one. How did the other vehicle fair?

Doesn’t that have concrete barriers now?

Further update

West Midlands Ambulance Service releases statement after lorry crash on M6

A spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 10.25am to reports of a car and two lorry RTC on the northbound carriageway of the M6 between J15 and J16.

"An ambulance and paramedic officer attended and assessed the driver of each vehicle involved.

"The car driver, a man, sustained non-life threatening injuries and received treatment on scene before being taken to Royal Stoke University Hospital for further checks.

“The lorry drivers were uninjured.”

Glad to hear they all ok.

Glad they’re all ok!!!

Looking at that mess he’s been lucky.
Good news.

Good to see…

Everyone got out of that with just a story to tell their mates in the pub.

I ask the question again, why do car drivers get steering wheel airbags, side impact protection and anti-submarine seating but we just have seat belts? (Volvo trucks excepted)

I’m not getting into the arguments about that not wearing seat belts is better in some instances or, it wouldn’t have made any difference in this particular collision. Just, why don’t we have the safety technology that everyone else enjoys as standard fitment?

Link to video

www-birminghammail-co-uk.cdn.am … wsource=cl

Would love to know the excuse for crashing in to a large crane parked on the hard shoulder.

yourhavingalarf:
Good to see…

I ask the question again, why do car drivers get steering wheel airbags, side impact protection and anti-submarine seating but we just have seat belts? (Volvo trucks excepted)

I’m not getting into the arguments about that not wearing seat belts is better in some instances or, it wouldn’t have made any difference in this particular collision. Just, why don’t we have the safety technology that everyone else enjoys as standard fitment?

Great question thats been asked so many times. Perhaps one of the challenges is the sensors to detect the right amount of deceleration with such a large or variably weighted vehicle and the potential for false deployments or failing to deploy.

The explanation will have to be explained with tea and biscuits at the Traffic Commissioners meeting when he or she revokes the license, apparently they like to see the whites of the eyes when you are sat there grovelling like a child.

Daani:
Link to video

www-birminghammail-co-uk.cdn.am … wsource=cl

:open_mouth:

yourhavingalarf:
Good to see…

Because they car drivers pay for their car and your boss pays for your truck ie. he doesn’t care about you (or mine - for me for that matter). Cost cutting would be my guess. Most safety features in cars are either mandated by law or just industry standard/customer demands. If it weren’t for that they’d still be having the old non retractable seat belts

ETS:

yourhavingalarf:
Good to see…

Because they car drivers pay for their car and your boss pays for your truck ie. he doesn’t care about you (or mine - for me for that matter). Cost cutting would be my guess. Most safety features in cars are either mandated by law or just industry standard/customer demands. If it weren’t for that they’d still be having the old non retractable seat belts

There is an EU standard for impact protection for rail locomotives, here is a link to the Wikipedia entry with details.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_15227

I would have thought there ought to be a similar standard for trucks

yourhavingalarf:
Good to see…

The Actros has a drivers airbag.
(awaits comments stating its due to the poor handling / ■■■■ gearbox/ etc)

yourhavingalarf:
Good to see…

Truck makers and body builders habe been behind the curve for safety standards for a long time and more needs to done to make them safer, like airbags as standard etc.

I mean let’s be honest you have been able to buy cars with things like reverse cameras as standard for a few years now, yet trucks still don’t have them fitted as standard in a vehicle that it would actually be quite useful. Yes there are aftermarket system but they tend to be unreliable and expensive for what they are.

Airbags should be standard at least for drivers on trucks and even preferably passenger side too, again with curtain airbags.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

trevHCS:
Hope no one was in the passenger seat of that one. How did the other vehicle fair?

Doesn’t that have concrete barriers now?

The other vehicle was a four wheel crane which looked like it was stopped on hard shoulder when it got rammed up the rear end, the weight was completely
ripped off the crane and the truck parked as in the pic when i went past, was probally less than a minute behind them when it happened

The person driving who recorded the dash cam footage has a heart BPM of 180!

simcor:
Truck makers and body builders habe been behind the curve for safety standards for a long time and more needs to done to make them safer, like airbags as standard etc.

I mean let’s be honest you have been able to buy cars with things like reverse cameras as standard for a few years now, yet trucks still don’t have them fitted as standard in a vehicle that it would actually be quite useful. Yes there are aftermarket system but they tend to be unreliable and expensive for what they are.

Airbags should be standard at least for drivers on trucks and even preferably passenger side too, again with curtain airbags.

Agreed, but at least there are cab impact resistance regulations, unlike the situation with public service vehicles it would seem. Some may recall the A47 incident when a lorry had pulled out of its yard across the carrigeway and was hit by a double decker bus. The impact was finally stopped by the staircase. There was an incident about thirty years ago locally in which two front entrance buses colided head on, the single decker ended up inside the double decker.