Lorry driver seriously injured in hit and run!

Lorry driver hit by another lorry on the M5 between J7 & J8 17th Jan 22…

gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n … ad-6516465

Hopefully the driver makes a full recovery.

You do wonder what caused him to be on the offside though.

I am glad they got him lets hope they get the camera evidence they are asking for.

The lorry which struck him failed to stop but was later located and the driver, a 41-year-old male, has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He remains in custody.

I went past at 7:30pm and saw the lorry in the hard shoulder hazards on and flashing beacons, the lorry a fair bit in front of me moved to lane two and as there wasn’t many people about I thought I might as well do it too in case it was a wide load. Its on a section with no street lights so saw nothing until I was basically alongside and saw the driver lying down in a way like he was looking under the axle but with his waist and legs in the first lane, I thought “F me he has a death wish”, didn’t even have anything hi vis on to help even a little.

Googled “Worcester M5” an hour or so later when back in the yard and local news said the M5 was closed SB there after a pedestrian was hit at 7:40pm. Then today it changed to 7:30pm driver critical so he must have already been hit at the point I saw him, and the added info of the hit and run aspect. There was a lorry and car a few hundred yards further down the hard shoulder but obviously I can’t say if either had hit the guy seconds before I got there.

mrginge:
I went past at 7:30pm and saw the lorry in the hard shoulder hazards on and flashing beacons, the lorry a fair bit in front of me moved to lane two and as there wasn’t many people about I thought I might as well do it too in case it was a wide load. Its on a section with no street lights so saw nothing until I was basically alongside and saw the driver lying down in a way like he was looking under the axle but with his waist and legs in the first lane, I thought “F me he has a death wish”, didn’t even have anything hi vis on to help even a little.

Googled “Worcester M5” an hour or so later when back in the yard and local news said the M5 was closed SB there after a pedestrian was hit at 7:40pm. Then today it changed to 7:30pm driver critical so he must have already been hit at the point I saw him, and the added info of the hit and run aspect. There was a lorry and car a few hundred yards further down the hard shoulder but obviously I can’t say if either had hit the guy seconds before I got there.

What did the police say when you spoke to them?

stu675:

I was there just after it happened I guess but crucially didn’t see the accident to have anything of use to them so have not contacted them.

mrginge:

stu675:

I was there just after it happened I guess but crucially didn’t see the accident to have anything of use to them so have not contacted them.

Obviously, I disagree. I would let them decide, that seemed like quite a detailed description plus your truck is covered in cameras?