Panorama tonight on tv

‘Britain’s Killer Roads’ investigates the risks drivers face today, and questions whether weaker policing could be to blame.
Could be interesting,… if only to see the Old Bill trying to justify cameras and revenue raising instead of efficient police patrolling of the roads as in the past.
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

Has a road actually ever killed anybody ? :confused:

To be fair the ‘efficient policing’ of the past often meant patrol cars hiding on entry slip roads on clear night time motorways with their lights off waiting for another easy nick instead of cameras.
Then when drivers got wise to that trick, among others, the law called for unmarked cars in which case all bets were off at any time.But it was a good bet that if anything was approaching in the mirrors from behind, when travelling at around the ton, it was probably the law.
From experience traffic light cameras are better and fairer than a copper stating that ‘in his opinion’ you should have stopped on amber which changed within 15 feet of the line.
The main problem with cameras is the combined lowering of speed limits to maximise the chances and margin of any offence that goes with them.Including ‘variable’ motorway limits.
Also the fact that it was one endorsement regardless of the margin over.As opposed to potentially 6 or more points for one speeding offence now.
It’s also clear that most traffic speed enforcement has long been politically motivated with the intention of disincentivising road use.
While if we need more enforcement it’s random licence and ID checks which are needed most and a blitz on positioning like drivers cutting right hand bends and ignoring white lines.
The roads are clearly infested with unlicenced drivers who’ve never learn’t to drive or passed a test.

Watched it usual stuff, fewer police, fewer active cameras, and smart motorways

The main thing for me is everyone is in a rush, when partly automous comes in places i cant wait

Suedehead:

Only when you skelp it face first or is it the sudden stop that kills you

Suedehead:

A cyclepath (phsycopath) probably has though.

robroy:
‘Britain’s Killer Roads’ investigates the risks drivers face today, and questions whether weaker policing could be to blame.
Could be interesting,… if only to see the Old Bill trying to justify cameras and revenue raising instead of efficient police patrolling of the roads as in the past.
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

How can the police enforce the motoring laws then,while avoiding “revenue raising”.?It wouldnt be any good just sending letters asking people not to break the speed limits again…

Personaly i think the speeding penalties should be tougher but fairer ie dont put a speed camera on the bottom of a straight 3 in 1 hill on a busy route used by heavy vehicles. Lots of the cameras around are there for cash generating absoloutly nothing to do with safty.

Trouble is people learn where the cameras are and slow down for them to the extreem of doing 30 in a 40 because they dont know the limit even though it is posted by the camera then go speeding off once they are past it.

cooper1203:
Personaly i think the speeding penalties should be tougher but fairer ie dont put a speed camera on the bottom of a straight 3 in 1 hill on a busy route used by heavy vehicles. Lots of the cameras around are there for cash generating absoloutly nothing to do with safty.

Trouble is people learn where the cameras are and slow down for them to the extreem of doing 30 in a 40 because they dont know the limit even though it is posted by the camera then go speeding off once they are past it.

Yeah make them tougher. Fairer? Pretty fair.
Break the limit and you chance getting a ticket.
Stick to the limit and you don’t. Simple.
I’ve heard car drivers complaining about their cars speeding up going down hill. Surely same with lorries. Use your retarder or footbrake if necessary.
All sounds good to me. :wink:

robroy:
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

When you see the TV programmes about the Police, ANPR checks and Interceptors, you can see there is far more targeted policing on the roads, sadly let down by the CPS

Sploom:

robroy:
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

How can the police enforce the motoring laws then,while avoiding “revenue raising”.?It wouldnt be any good just sending letters asking people not to break the speed limits again…

Revenue raising is more about deliberately applied inappropriate limits for the conditions.That includes variable motorway limits.

Sploom:

robroy:
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

I take your point, but personally speaking I’d prefer to see a camera van in mine and other villages for instance,.and small towns where there are kids playing and people out for a walk dodging boy racers, …but they prefer to sit on m.way bridges or dual carriageway and trunk roads.m where it is (no doubt arguably) safer to travel over the limit,.and obviously more lucrative in terms of numbers.

robroy:

Sploom:

robroy:
BBC 1 19 30 pm.

I take your point, but personally speaking I’d prefer to see a camera van in mine and other villages for instance,.and small towns where there are kids playing and people out for a walk dodging boy racers, …but they prefer to sit on m.way bridges or dual carriageway and trunk roads.m where it is (no doubt arguably) safer to travel over the limit,.and obviously more lucrative in terms of numbers.

this is what i was getting at with it being fairer quite clearly nothing to do with safty and i would argue probably cause accidents with the idiots that do twice the legal limit then jam on the anchors slowing to 10 or 20 mph below the limit when they know there is a camera.

Suedehead:

theyve killed a few people who jumped off bridges