Driving Test changes?

I know there has been recent changes to driving tests etc but my transport manager come out with a new one on me yesterday,
Is it true that nowadays if you pass your C+E in in a wagon and drag you cannot drive a tractor unit and trailer? I tried saying that they were wrong but they are adamant that it was taught at the transport managers cpc 2 months ago?

slowtrac:
I know there has been recent changes to driving tests etc but my transport manager come out with a new one on me yesterday,
Is it true that nowadays if you pass your C+E in in a wagon and drag you cannot drive a tractor unit and trailer? I tried saying that they were wrong but they are adamant that it was taught at the transport managers cpc 2 months ago?

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That would mean half the passes won’t find jobs
Read talking out of

how would the prospective company know… is it entered onto the driving licence.

blue estate:

slowtrac:

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That would mean half the passes won’t find jobs
Read talking out of

Absolutely…

OP: ask your TM how the two licences look different?
Does one say C+E (artics ony)? or C+E (no artics)? or what? What are these new classes?
Let him show you examples of these two “different” licences.

gov.uk/driving-licence-categories:
Large vehicles
Category C
You can drive vehicles over 3,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg MAM).
Category CE
You can drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

No mention of artic or drawbar here.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes
:
102 - drawbar trailers only

In the 12.Codes column on the back of your card.

Cuttlefish:

:

Isn`t that for pre 1990 licences?

I had heard of restriction codes but she was adamant lol
She was trying to tell me I would need to do a test if we upgraded my wagon and drag to a artic, I stated that I have a C+E licence so it didn’t matter.

Just makes me worry what other bull she was taught at the cpc lol

Franglais:

Cuttlefish:

:

No idea. I was asked by an agency 5+ years ago (so not a new thing). I did pass in a wagon and drag and I did not have that code.

Cuttlefish:

Franglais:

Cuttlefish:

:

No idea. I was asked by an agency 5+ years ago (so not a new thing). I did pass in a wagon and drag and I did not have that code.

As I remember it:
Years ago (pre `90) all rigid licence holders (Class III two axle, Class II multi axle) could tow a draw-bar trailer. But not drive an artic obviously (Class I). The changes in licence classes would have meant that habitual trailer pullers with a Class III would have been out of work, so the existing holders were allowed to continue. Hence the 102.
No trailer test taken at any time.

Open to correction. :smiley:

You are correct The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999.

Back in the days of class 1 2 & 3, it was possible to drive a drawbar on class 2 or 3. When the classes changed to C or C+E, if you had been driving drawbars you could get a C+E, but restricted to drawbars. Code 102 only applies to these drivers. If you pass now in a drawbar you get the same licence as some one who passes in an artic. Definition of a C+E licence on DVLA web site doesn’t differentiate between the two.

Ask her if you pass in an automatic hgv can you then drive a geared hgv and see what she comes up with for this :laughing: I once had one tell me it was illegal NOT to have a HGV sat nav :unamused: