Queues At Dover & Calais

Now that we have our sovrinty back and almost have Full Brexit (and at long last have dispensed with all that nasty EU red tape) and, since Jan 1st now only have Good Old/New British Red Tape on imports, are reports of delays up to 4 days and lengthy Queues at Dover & Calais correct ■■

whisperingsmith:
Now that we have our sovrinty back and almost have Full Brexit (and at long last have dispensed with all that nasty EU red tape) and, since Jan 1st now only have Good Old/New British Red Tape on imports, are reports of delays up to 4 days and lengthy Queues at Dover & Calais correct ■■

You appear to have issues with either your spelling or keyboard.

Or perhaps you’re just a good old fashioned simple minded bigot?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

One take is this headline:

Huge queues of lorries build up at Dover after port bosses begged for lateral flow tests to keep traffic moving and predicted 20-mile motorway queues unless Covid checks are lifted by Easter holidays

whisperingsmith:
are reports of delays up to 4 days and lengthy Queues at Dover & Calais correct ■■

I’m confident…

That if that were true, I’d be reading about it somewhere in internet land/MSM.

Monkey241:

Huge queues of lorries build up at Dover after port bosses begged for lateral flow tests to keep traffic moving and predicted 20-mile motorway queues unless Covid checks are lifted by Easter holidays

Predictions of passenger queues at Easter? Express? Mail?

Why does it say there are queues of lorries at Dover now?

The last I heard truck drivers didn`t need Covid tests at the border in either direction. Has that changed?

“Updated on 01/11/2021
Covid-19: important information
Travel from UK to France
There is no longer a requirement to present a Covid-19 negative test result to the authorities on the Folkestone terminal.
Travel from France to the UK
Since 6th April, a Covid-19 test for truck drivers who are in the country for more than 48 hours is required. Drivers can be tested, if required, at any testing centres in the country here.”
EuroTunnel Freight site.

Try this…
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 90961.html
“Lorries stuck at checkpoints for four days due to ‘terrible’ new Brexit red tape
Exclusive: Logistics firm told HMRC is ‘too busy’ to deal with trucks stuck in customs controls”

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Predictions of passenger queues at Easter? Express? Mail?

Why does it say there are queues of lorries at Dover now?

The last I heard truck drivers didn`t need Covid tests at the border in either direction. Has that changed?

“Updated on 01/11/2021
Covid-19: important information
Travel from UK to France
There is no longer a requirement to present a Covid-19 negative test result to the authorities on the Folkestone terminal.
Travel from France to the UK
Since 6th April, a Covid-19 test for truck drivers who are in the country for more than 48 hours is required. Drivers can be tested, if required, at any testing centres in the country here.”
EuroTunnel Freight site.

Try this…
“Lorries stuck at checkpoints for four days due to ‘terrible’ new Brexit red tape
Exclusive: Logistics firm told HMRC is ‘too busy’ to deal with trucks stuck in customs controls”

How about the BBC?

Or the Mirror?

In fact take your pick and I’ll link

Monkey241:

Yes please. And please highlight any reasons for any current queues, ta.

Franglais:
Try this…

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Yes please. And please highlight any reasons for any current queues, ta.

Franglais:
Try this…

Which bit about take your pick confused you?

Travelled through Dover yesterday it took about 3 hours to get from the tunnel on the A20 to check in once checked in I was on a boat in 40 minutes, the delays are due to the introduction of the GMR numbers according to the ■■■■■■■ the check in desk, mainly due to drivers not understanding what is required at check in and the obvious language barrier between drivers and check in staff. Coming off the boat in France customs checks were minimal and your customs status is shown on a TV screen on the ferry of approx 150 vehicles on the boat about 20 were called for customs checks and these were mainly for SVP checks, The new GMR numbers are part of the Brexit deal so are not solely UK red tape but what both sides have agreed and it is a far better system than Switzerland where every vehicle is checked and each driver has to report to an agent as with any new system there will be teething problems much like there was initially with the system into Ireland which now in the main runs smoothly again with minimal checks. The introduction of the checks have now levelled the playing field with European exporters having to carry out the same procedures as UK exporters have be doing for the last year.
edit to add the train was running smoothly as they have got themselves better organised than Dover P&O had four check in booths closed really helpful at a time of high use

Mail:
dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -LFTs.html
11/01/22
“Huge queues of lorries build up”…“Port-bound lorries are required to queue on the nearside to prevent congestion and traffic lights hold back lorries until there is space at the Port of Dover.”
…blah blah…covid tests…(what has that do with freight please?)…“covid test…staff shortages” (Ahh? my comment)
…“Exports across the channel between Great Britain and the EU became subject to full customs controls on January 1, adding to the delays.”…

So maybe it is staff shortages?

Mazzer2:
The new GMR numbers are part of the Brexit deal so are not solely UK red tape but what both sides have agreed

Yes.
Red Tape due to Brexit. Which takes time and money to administer.
As drivers we may not be delayed when it goes smoothly, but it still takes someone time, and costs the end client.

Franglais:
Mail:
dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -LFTs.html
11/01/22
“Huge queues of lorries build up”…“Port-bound lorries are required to queue on the nearside to prevent congestion and traffic lights hold back lorries until there is space at the Port of Dover.”
…blah blah…covid tests…(what has that do with freight please?)…“covid test…staff shortages” (Ahh? my comment)
…“Exports across the channel between Great Britain and the EU became subject to full customs controls on January 1, adding to the delays.”…

So maybe it is staff shortages?

The queues were not huge 3 hours is not a huge queue at Dover there was plenty of space in the port itself bad weather will reguarly generate bigger queues. Covid could be a factor as to why P&O had four check in desks closed.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:
The new GMR numbers are part of the Brexit deal so are not solely UK red tape but what both sides have agreed

Yes.
As drivers we may not be delayed when it goes smoothly, but it still takes someone time, and costs the end client.

And yet…

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h … e-25920889

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-59951418

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Yes.

And EU membership didn’t cost?

And not just financially?

More to the point … what were EU directives/regulations/marks of conformity?

Were they not red tape? With huge attached costs?

Or are we back to being deliberately dishonest again,

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Yes.

The introduction of the GMR number has just levelled the playing field you were complaining last year that the UK hadn’t introduced checks and now it has you’re complaining again.