Mercedes rear view cameras

Overtook a new Merc today on patrol, I had to look twice as I thought both rear view mirrors had been knocked off leaving the stalks, I let it pass me and I noticed the stalks were actually cameras, has anyone driven them and if so, how does it compare with conventional mirrors?

The image quality isn’t bad during daylight, but there’s an annoying flickering on the displays from modern car LED headlights when driving at night, probably due to the low screen refresh rate. Biggest problem, again when dark I find, is the difficulty in assessing closing speed when pulling out of a layby with traffic approaching from behind on a dual carriageway, and whether vehicles have moved over to the outside lane allowing you to move onto the carriageway. Factoring the above issues with poor weather eg. heavy rain they are totally mince! Rain droplets on the camera lenses causes complete loss of vision from the side, and are no way an improvement on conventional mirrors. IMO they could be better, much better!! The cameras and image quality on the average mobilephone are far superior to those fitted to the current Mercs!

Thanks for that, I must admit I’m surprised, the Germans are normally pretty good when it comes to automotive technology.

some of them have the autopilot feature built in already, so you can in theory let go off the steering wheel for 20-30sec yes id tried it

BossHogg:
Overtook a new Merc today on patrol, I had to look twice as I thought both rear view mirrors had been knocked off leaving the stalks, I let it pass me and I noticed the stalks were actually cameras, has anyone driven them and if so, how does it compare with conventional mirrors?

I was pondering why they decided to place the mirrors inside the truck

hipsway:
The image quality isn’t bad during daylight, but there’s an annoying flickering on the displays from modern car LED headlights when driving at night, probably due to the low screen refresh rate. Biggest problem, again when dark I find, is the difficulty in assessing closing speed when pulling out of a layby with traffic approaching from behind on a dual carriageway, and whether vehicles have moved over to the outside lane allowing you to move onto the carriageway. Factoring the above issues with poor weather eg. heavy rain they are totally mince! Rain droplets on the camera lenses causes complete loss of vision from the side, and are no way an improvement on conventional mirrors. IMO they could be better, much better!! The cameras and image quality on the average mobilephone are far superior to those fitted to the current Mercs!

But it’s TECHNOLOGY, yo! It’s the future!

BossHogg:

You overtook the Merc then must of slowed down because you let it pass you. Bet the driver thought " whats this frecer poncing about at" :stuck_out_tongue:

No better than conventional mirrors.
More tech for techs sake

Stupid idea and totally agree with above tech for tech sake improving nothing that currently exists. Trying to sell more trucks but running out of gizmos so invent this ■■■■.

Suedehead:

BossHogg:

You overtook the Merc then must of slowed down because you let it pass you. Bet the driver thought " whats this frecer poncing about at" :stuck_out_tongue:

I drove through Todhills services so he was none the wiser. :wink:

BossHogg:

You didn’t let him pass you, you made him pass you.
Deliberately slowing on a motorway forcing HGVs to make unnecessary manoeuvres for your entertainment.
Putting that Volvo to good use, well done.

I drive one. Today, with the sun very low in the sky and a bit foggy around the Herefor area, there was a lot of “glare” when the camera was at the right (or wong) angle.

idrive:

BossHogg:

Deliberately slowing on a motorway forcing HGVs to make unnecessary manoeuvres for your entertainment.

Read my last post, I drove through the services and caught up with him, oh and I was in the Discovery, so dry your eyes Princess and put the outrage bus back in the garage. :wink:

BossHogg:

idrive:

BossHogg:

Read my last post, I drove through the services and caught up with him, oh and I was in the Discovery, so dry your eyes Princess and put the outrage bus back in the garage. :wink:

Didn’t happen. You drove badly as usual, causing chaos as usual. Those snowflake seminars telling you how special and unique you are really work a treat.

And those mirrors have been out for a considerable time and are commonplace on the roads now. Perhaps you should look up from your phone in the layby occasionally and you may have spotted then sooner.

I’ll grab the chairs if someone supplies the popcorn…

idrive:

BossHogg:

idrive:

BossHogg:

Didn’t happen. You drove badly as usual, causing chaos as usual. Those snowflake seminars telling you how special and unique you are really work a treat.

And those mirrors have been out for a considerable time and are commonplace on the roads now. Perhaps you should look up from your phone in the layby occasionally and you may have spotted then sooner.

Yawn, no lay-bys on my stretch of the motorway. D- must try harder. :wink:

hipsway:

Yup. As above.

The camera brightness can be adjusted from within the cab, and the cameras do have heated elements in them. They are still pants though.

I have a 2 month old Gigasapce, and I find reversing is problematic compared to mirrors. We were offered mirrored variants, as ours were 2 months late, but the boss refused.

At the last place where I worked, we got one on demo, and the salesman was giving it the big spiel, and when I mentioned that the was till a blind spot, but it had moved to the A pillar inside the cab, he wasn’t impressed.

Ken.

I find them terrible at night.
Also you need to lock them in while reversing otherwise I think they auto adjust with your trailer which can throw off your reverse. In the end I just opted to just stick my head out of the window when reversing and not rely on the mirrors.

I may be wrong on this.
But if you have a mirror. It will naturally reflect light well. I don’t think a camera does that. So cat eyes at night are easy to see in your mirrors. Not so with a camera based mirror system.

I may be wrong though as I have not driven one since I left Tesco back in October.

So it’s like the reversing camera on our cars, absolutely useless at night when lights shine on them.

Quinny:
At the last place where I worked, we got one on demo, and the salesman was giving it the big spiel, and when I mentioned that the was till a blind spot, but it had moved to the A pillar inside the cab, he wasn’t impressed.

Larger.

They take a bit of getting used to. Your first few reverses using them you will look like youve been on the ale, and the trailer will probably end up at an angle as their viewpoint is different to normal mirrors even when you select ‘normal’ view not tracking view. I drive one every day pretty much so now used to it, but when Im back in a truck with mirrors I find the reversing is a lot easier!!

The biggest bonus they have is in the current season they rarely get dirty from salt whereas traditional mirrors get caked and filthy in 10 mins on the motorway with all the salt. What Id rather have is the new truck with all the nice extras and DAB etc, but with normal mirrors :slight_smile: