Grizzled Newbie

Hi everyone – some advice needed!

I passed my Class One 50 years ago, and did agency work (Drivers’ Bureau in Birmingham) whilst at university. I became a teacher, and continued doing some Class Three stuff in the holidays. After 24 years in the classroom I became a vicar, and have just retired after 25 years. Having borrowed to help fund my son’s house deposit, and now reliant on just pension income, I could do with some extra cash. So I got my C + E licence back (having let it lapse a while ago) sorted out a CPC, and had a refresher in an 18-tonner at a local driving school (having not driven professionally for 40 years). So I’m ready to roll, and would like odd days C-class work (artics might be a step too far!) – but where, and how? I’m fit and well – but I’m also 71, so is anyone likely to be interested? If so, how do I find them? I live in Eastbourne, which isn’t exactly at the centre of things – so can anyone recommend any decent agencies? Or should I just accept that I’m too old for HGV – and need to try and get something like supermarket home delivery work?

Welcome Reverend. I’m going to be brutally honest here mate; apart from having a pulse you have from a prospective employers point of view very little going for you, you are at the very wrong age range for them to take a risk on someone who is to all intents and purposes a new pass with no experience.

Having said that you are undoubtedly rich in life experience and very willing to learn, so it’s not all bad news in that respect. I do honestly wish you luck, but I fear it’ll be a hard slog to find employment.

I imagine that you speak to your old gaffer most nights so I hope he’s still fighting your corner :smiley:

Good luck anyway.

Would you have any interest in gett ing a mini bus driver licence and doing school runs.? Are there any tipper firms near you as that type of work isnt too physical.

I’ve got a D + E licence - but don’t fancy the idea of being too close to a lot of potentially infected people! But thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks to the Maoster for your honesty - I’ll try and keep my old gaffer sweet!

RevTony:
but I’m also 71, so is anyone likely to be interested? If so, how do I find them? I live in Eastbourne, which isn’t exactly at the centre of things – so can anyone recommend any decent agencies? Or should I just accept that I’m too old for HGV – and need to try and get something like supermarket home delivery work?

I work with a guy who is 71 and doing 5 nights a week hauling kitchens up to Scotland and 27 tonnes of chipboard back every night and another who is 70 this year who does 3 nights.

The last job but one that I did about 2006ish, at least 3 of the drivers were still tramping quite happily over 70, maybe the main reason for that was though it was an excellent firm to work for where they looked after drivers with no modern management style dog ■■■■ to put up with, the type of which that puts off a lot of good …and ‘proper’ type drivers.
Problem is there are not many of those firms left.

Your best off sticking to retail work.
Supermarkets, store deliveries will be perfect for you. The work isnt too bad and they like part timers
Where I work I can get like £400 take home for like two days weekend work.

So my advice is just stick to agencies, look up where local distribution depots are to you and find out what agency they use.

Your age is not an issue. your probably still cheaper to insure than a freshly passed 23 year old.

Could have a look aorund Newhaven a good few firms there doing a mix of work so maybe find something to suit good luck anyway

adam277:
Your best off sticking to retail work.
Supermarkets, store deliveries will be perfect for you. The work isnt too bad and they like part timers
Where I work I can get like £400 take home for like two days weekend work.

So my advice is just stick to agencies, look up where local distribution depots are to you and find out what agency they use.

Your age is not an issue. your probably still cheaper to insure than a freshly passed 23 year old.

Good advice, your can probably just pick up 2 or 3 shifts a week which will be enough at your age because it can get a bit physical pulling them cages around.

I’d be half inclined to forget the agency’s if you can, most places are so desperate to get drivers they will happily give part time contacts, specially the supermarkets.
That way you can probably get a fixed rota as well which beats working all over the shop if you do agency work…

Not being rude but a "newbie"at 71 you have more chance of having tea with the Queen.

Container work?
Often early starts, and I dont know what is available locally to you, but generally not too difficult. And regards age, I know of some 70 year old far fitter than others in their 40s.
Good luck, whatever.

I’d agree with Adam, supermarkets tend to like local staff too, as they can claim they are ‘reducing their carbon footprint’. The idea of w/e work though may not go down well if you’re still hail Marying on a Sunday.

RevTony:
but don’t fancy the idea of being too close to a lot of potentially infected people!

Ironically, Jesus would forgive you for this transgression.

idrive:

RevTony:
but don’t fancy the idea of being too close to a lot of potentially infected people!

Ironically, Jesus would forgive you for this transgression.

Oh snap :grimacing:

I hope so - because whenever he came into contact with lepers he (is said to have) healed them - which stopped them being infectious. Sadly I’ve not found out how to do that with Covid sufferers!

Asking for a friend, do Reverends do Hail Marying. I thought that that was just the left footers. Hope that you find work and may your God be with you all.

Tell your friend (!) that I’ve never done in my life - and have no intention of starting now! (although if it was a condition of HGV employment, I could be flexible!)

What are you doing borrowing money at 71 ( is that even possible ) ,over how long, haven’t you saved any money over the years ,it’s not as though you’ve been in crap employment , teacher , and to be honest if you’re 71 , how olds you’re son , 40/50 , exactly at what age will he be fending for himself , paying for things himself , if he can’t save a deposit up for a house how does he intend to pay the mortgage / bills etc etc
To be honest I don’t believe a word of it , you say when you were teaching you were out driving a lorry , teachers aren’t paid bad , you had 24 yrs as a teacher , 25 yrs as a vicar , you’d have decent pensions ,
Like they say you can’t take it with you , your 71 , you say you’ve just retired , so retire , enjoy your retirement , relax , put your feet up , and enjoy it

RevTony:
Tell your friend (!) that I’ve never done in my life - and have no intention of starting now! (although if it was a condition of HGV employment, I could be flexible!)

Like your good self I also have a bus licence. I had a job once to take people to the Dundee Cathedral. I didnt really know that there were two Cathedrals and I took them to the wrong one. Their Priest said they are the opposition and he quickly gave me directions to the R.C. Cathedral.

alamcculloch:
Asking for a friend, do Reverends do Hail Marying. I thought that that was just the left footers. Hope that you find work and may your God be with you all.

Are we friends now? :smiley: