I hate this job

Work nights, work weekends, work bank holidays … no time for social life

seriously, [zb] this profession

ETS:

:laughing: :laughing:
It’s as good or as bad as YOU make it for yourself mate,.and how much b/s you are willing or not willing to take.
Good advice take it or leave it. : :bulb:

ETS:

Bit I’m in the same profession and don’t work them, it’s not the profession, it’s your job, if you don’t like it change your job

It doesn’t have to be like that, but if you want the maximum pay for the minimal hours then unsocial hours or muck or bullets or a combo of all three is where its at, this has always been the case for the working class and always will be.
If it was massive pay for normal working hours clean easy no work involved, then the job would be oversubscribed by the work shy (who presently avoid it) and we’d be back to starvation level wages.

Juddian:
It doesn’t have to be like that, but if you want the maximum pay for the minimal hours then unsocial hours or muck or bullets or a combo of all three is where its at, this has always been the case for the working class and always will be.
If it was massive pay for normal working hours clean easy no work involved, then the job would be oversubscribed by the work shy (who presently avoid it) and we’d be back to starvation level wages.

Almost like you think the working class don’t do any of the professions

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

ETS:

Yep, sounds like you need to change you job. 95% of my driving days were spent on days. I made a big mistake in my last ever employment to work shifts which included nightshift.
Absoulutely hated it but the money was fantastic. Swings and roundabouts. :wink:

Since I started driving lorries full time about 15 years ago I’ve not worked any nights, only a couple of Bank Holidays (my choice) and a handful of Sundays (again my choice). Oh - and we do one Sunday a year DCPC training.

Haven’t done a night out for over 13 years, haven’t had a Reduced Daily Rest in the last 5 years (and only ever had a couple prior to that).

In my previous (non-driving) job I worked full rotating shifts including nights, weekends and Bank Holidays for 25 years (including regularly having only 8 hours off between shifts). All while my kids were growing up.

I know which job I found the easiest.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ETS:

In 45 yrs of driving I’ve never worked nights or bank holidays, and the only weekend work has been Saturday mornings by choice in the early days, but not for the last 20yrs apart from the odd running in from a Friday night out. I’ve always been on good money as well, the jobs are there if you look hard enough.

stevieboy308:

ETS:

Bit I’m in the same profession and don’t work them, it’s not the profession, it’s your job, if you don’t like it change your job

To be fair it’s never been an industry which has unlimited opportunities for doing whichever ideal job of choice.Many of the available jobs will include any or all of those requirements.In my case it was permanent nights but no weekends and bank holidays for what they were worth effectively just being a few nights off without messing up the body clock.
All that for not much more, if not less, money than day work.
Probably because trunking is/was easier work at the end of the day and employers know/knew it.

While as it becomes a more retail distribution dominated industry obviously expect to see more retail distribution type jobs and hours required to service that sector and less other options.

Another supermarket limper moaning because he can’t have his cake and eat it :laughing: :laughing:
I do general and I don’t work nights ,weekends or bank holidays and running out on a Sunday is my own choice :wink:
Back to work Tuesday , been off since Christmas Eve paid holiday :grimacing:

Entering my 4th year of driving, I’ll make a guess 90% of my jobs so far - past agency and my current full time - all nights. I don’t know what you drive/deliver but where I’m in the only day time jobs are multidrop, general haulage (yuck) maybe ADR tankers for £32k / year because HOYER, and that’s pretty much it. ALso hope you don’t count a 1a.m. start as ‘day work’

I’m stuck with this job due to mortgage and decent £ per hour but the hours are total ■■■■ 20-06:30-ish now with road works resuming probably finish 7.am. Plenty of hours left out of the 24, yes - but very difficult to organize any meaningful life outside.

Maybe new year, new job we’ll see but everywhere I look its either nights nights nights or midnight/1-2am starts: dpd, dhl, ECP, GXO/xpo food contract. Or days with short hours and warehouse wage, or containers with 70 hours/week etc nonsense

I’m very cetain there will always be the lucky few who do work good hours (and decent pay) but come on, what % of all drivers. I see night time on the roads it’s full of other trucks - tippers/bulk/fridge/curtain/flatbed/mixer etc., laybys services all full.

Sorry for the rant, happy new year

If you don’t like the job, then change it. There’s such a variety of work out there that there really is something out there for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This always amuses me about night men and day men, …the same guys who condemn tramping,. ‘‘I like me own bed’’ etc .
Because what the o/p describes is a much better option ain’t it. :laughing:
As for social life he mentions,.at least a tramper can have it at weekends…and if he has his head screwed on a little bit during the week also. :wink:

robroy:
This always amuses me about night men and day men, …the same guys who condemn tramping,. ‘‘I like me own bed’’ etc .
As for social life he mentions,.at least a tramper can have it at weekends…and if he has his head screwed on a little bit during the week also. :wink:

I’d much rather be a tramper than do an 1hours commute at 5/7pm after a 15 hour day shift :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I generally do 8-9 hour days and start around 07:00 but my wages are low by local standards. I could earn £15,000+ more p.a. working nights, weekends and long hours but I don’t want to. That suits me but you can’t have both and it sounds like that’s what you want.

blue estate:

robroy:

I’d much rather be a tramper than do an 1hours commute at 5/7pm after a 15 hour day shift :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

+1

blue estate:

robroy:

I’d much rather work a 9.6 hour dayshift with a 5 minute commute.

commonrail:

blue estate:

robroy:

I have a 5 minute commute with a 7 hour maximum day (rarely work more than 6) but i am sure my wages cannot compete with anyone’s here having said that i knew the wage when i took the job so am happy with my lot.

blue estate:
Another supermarket limper moaning because he can’t have his cake and eat it :laughing: :laughing:
I do general and I don’t work nights ,weekends or bank holidays and running out on a Sunday is my own choice :wink:
Back to work Tuesday , been off since Christmas Eve paid holiday :grimacing:

Do tramping TUe-Sat.Meet New year in cab in Cannock.finish job yesterday at midday,back to work tomorrow morning.

commonrail:

blue estate:

robroy:

Ain’t going to argue with you on that. :laughing: