Tesco - Reading. Assessment

Hi Team,

Happy (nearly) New Year to you all.

I’ve been using my class 2 pass for the past few months however I want to move to class 1 having also passed that last year.

I have a 2.5hr assessment next week at Reading for Tesco. They’re recruiting direct by the looks of it.

I have 3hrs booked at a centre, prior to the assessment to brush up on my reversing/coupling as passed in a wag/drag.

Any pointers re the theory side? I’m struggling to retain the WTD info as coming off a SSRI and just not sticking! Any apps folk recommend? May I expect other general theory questions alongside the WTD?

Also, the main factor for doing this is the money. I have quite a healthy deposit but my salary is hampering my options. I have no real idea how much a new recruit on the books at Tesco might expect to earn? Appreciate there’s variables at play, day or night work etc.

Any advice, gratefully received.

Reading is a Maritime site so HS will be high on the list

I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Just try your best, show willing and explain its all relatively new to you and you’ll get yourself some leeway. They show you the rest of it. They might be many things but Maritime (and Tesco tbf if direct) do put time into new drivers to allow you to get up to speed.

I’m confident…

You’d be able to pass any reading assessment given.

There’s 2 parts to the wtd breaks.

1. The 6 hour rule
    you can’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15 min break, a break of 15 or more allows you to work upto another 6 hours before needing another 15 min break. This works the same as driving 4.5 hours and a 45. (Only driving and other work count as working time)

2. The total break
    This is dependent on the total amount of working time in the shift, only driving and other work count as working time for the wtd.

0-6 hours of working time = 0 break required
Over 6 but not over 9 = 30 mins of break/s
Over 9 = 45 mins of break/s required.
A shift can only be have 1 of the 3 apply, so ignore the other 2

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

The 6 - 9 and 9+ are purely used to determine how much break is required in total and are nothing to do with when any breaks are required.

So anyone who drives over 4.5 hours in a shift will have a 45 for that and tick the total break box for any shift, so all they’ll need to worry about is the 6 hour rule.

These are extreme examples
of what is legal

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min

Work 6
Break 25
Work 6
Break 20
Work 2:15

Work 2
Poa 11
Work 2

blue estate:

It’s not a Maritime site at all.

It’s Tesco run in the warehouse & Transport.

Maritime do supplier collections, plus some of their own work, they have about 10 units at Reading.

The trainer/assessors at Reading are alright, they’re not there to catch you out, be thorough when doing your checks, lift the rear suspension to check rear axle tyres, the little things count, they’re not in a rush, so don’t feel you have to be.

As for your drive assessment, just take your time, don’t speed, use your mirrors(you might do an assessment in one of the mirrorless rigids), you’ll probably get asked some questions as well.

Goodluck

Make sure you check the total height of the vehicle you will be driving and that the in cab indicator is set accordingly. The unit will have the fifth wheel height marked on the back and the trailer will have the body height on the headboard.

You’ll need to speak polish

Yes, it’s a Tesco run transport dept and like all the D.C’s they’re advertising for drivers direct on their careers website.

I currently do agency out of Hinckley DC and the driving assesment was all about the reverse, it was all done in the yard so we didn’t actually go on the road apparently due to covid. The assessor was never in the cab with me (Although I had driven permanently for Tesco at another DC for 8 years some time ago and I’ve had my class one for yonks)

The other guy who was there for assessment was a new pass, he literally gave up after a few attempts on the reverse and went home. The assessor said that as much as they need drivers they still fail guys regularly if you can’t put a trailer safely on the bay which is pretty obvious.

As has been said their assessors aren’t unreasonable and they don’t want you to rush. I had to shunt on my second reverse but he didn’t even mention it. There’s questions too including drivers hour stuff but nothing too complicated.

I don’t know about what they want shift-wise at Reading but a few new starters who signed up left when they realised the 40k they advertised wasn’t realistic for a dayshift, especially as they work on @9 hours. But if you’re happy to do nights, weekends and overtime you can earn that sort of money and more.

blue estate:

Maritime have a depot in there, but they don’t run the Tesco stuff nor recruit Tesco drivers. Tesco use Maritime for their work, store deliveries, supplier collections etc.

how did you get on? :slight_smile:

Roadielife:
how did you get on? :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input - much appreciated.

The dates have been pushed back so I now have the assessment on Tuesday and I did the 3hrs training in a ex Waitrose unit at Dunsfold earlier today. Chap said driving is fine.

I probably only pulled off two reverses that I was happy with, the rest needed a shunt or total abortion! It’s bloody hard getting the hang of it. Think we concluded that it’s in the lap of the gods as to whether I manage it on the day. Will try and remain calm and add small turns to the wheel.

I’m going to see if I can find a satellite view of the yard to see what I’m dealing with.

Strangely, found it easier to aim for two cones verses a open grassed edged improvised bay.

ETA: is the theory multiple choice does anyone know?

Pray for me, team!

They usually do the reversing around the goods in side, it’s usually quite busy but if people are waiting to get past, don’t let it bother you, just take your time & don’t worry about taking a shunt or 2, it’s about getting it on the bay, if that take a couple of shunts then it’s all good.

I passed the assessment which was really good. Unfortunately they were unable to accommodate my disabled son and the need for me to not work weekends. Pretty gutted to be honest. Back to square one in trying to find a class 1 role in this supposedly driver shortage.

Great news about passing, shame to hear they couldn’t accommodate you.
How inflexible were they? Is it any 5 days from 7?

stu675:
Great news about passing, shame to hear they couldn’t accommodate you.
How inflexible were they? Is it any 5 days from 7?

Well, they weren’t budging unfortunately. They said they have folk that have been there for years requesting weekends off without success so my request was a non starter. He said they’d have a mutiny on their hands if they offered me it. They work to a 6 week rota iirc. I sort of zoned out as he was explaining as I was so ■■■■■■ off.

Tekno:
[. I sort of zoned out as he was explaining as I was so ■■■■■■ off.

Understandable, and such a shame from them. I’m sure they would have loads of people wanting to only, or mostly, work the weekends if they got the pay differential right.

Why don’t they give the weekend work to all these drivers on here that keep saying 4 on / 4 off is the best shift out there !!!

For anyone doing the assessment at Tesco Reading, the bit that caught me out was on a route next to the M4 junction 11 to 10. Not sure if it would be the normal motorway diversion route but involved a small roundabout with a 2nd exit (right) which on approach you’d really need to be almost entirely in the left lane, as it is particularly tight. Managed to just about get round it dead slow with a bump but passed never the less. Think the reason I wasn’t offered the job at the time was I was somewhat taken aback by the rates being offered at the time…