International transport using vans >2.5t from May 2022

It seems that you’ll need an international ‘O’ Licence if you operate a car and trailer or a van >2.5t GVW internationally as from 21/05/2022.

Quoted from the .gov.uk link below:

Guidance
Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022

What transport companies and couriers need to do to use vans and car and trailers over 2.5 tonnes to transport goods in and out of the UK from 21 May 2022.

Will a tacho be the next requirement?

I did read Tachos are also on the cards for 2022 also…excuse the pun.lol

It’s a precursor to O-Licensing being introduced for domestic vans <2500kg gvw. It’s a European idea but the UK will also implement it. I’m not sure of the exact details, nobody wants to start O-Licensing builders in their smashed up transits as it’s too much hassle so it will probably apply to hire/reward operators only. TBF it’s been kicked from 2020 to 2022 because of the pandemic, and I expect it to get kicked to 2023/4 before it comes in.

I wonder if this means motorcycle courier work would become viable again :stuck_out_tongue:
Not that I’d want to say ride a bike from London to Berlin twice a week :laughing:

there is already a shortage of international CPC holders

All the current TM-CPC qualifications automatically include international operating, so no reason for there to be a shortage of people with the appropriate qualification.

Whether or not a significant proportion of these people would want to do international work or not, I can’t say. Personally I would approach it with great caution if an international opportunity came my way.

adam277:
I wonder if this means motorcycle courier work would become viable again :stuck_out_tongue:
Not that I’d want to say ride a bike from London to Berlin twice a week :laughing:

Doing it in the summer sounds quite appealing :laughing:

Optimum:
there is already a shortage of international CPC holders

No shortage just most of us being picky who we work for :smiley:

Zac_A:
All the current TM-CPC qualifications automatically include international operating, so no reason for there to be a shortage of people with the appropriate qualification.

Whether or not a significant proportion of these people would want to do international work or not, I can’t say. Personally I would approach it with great caution if an international opportunity came my way.

Why? all the ones I have dealt with over the years have been the most compliant due to the fines out there being more commonplace and expensive. 20 years ago I would have agreed with you though

Because opportunities which come to me via the company I work for tend to be those operators who are somewhat less than compliant; most often our clients come to us because we have a reputation for helping people who are facing, or have recently had, a PI.

noticed the big vans from Eastern europe that bring in “rescued” dogs have started again. bleve they cater for the UK market desperate to save a romanian stray

dieseldave:
It seems that you’ll need an international ‘O’ Licence if you operate a car and trailer or a van >2.5t GVW internationally as from 21/05/2022.

Quoted from the .gov.uk link below:

Guidance
Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022

What transport companies and couriers need to do to use vans and car and trailers over 2.5 tonnes to transport goods in and out of the UK from 21 May 2022.

Transport goods in Europe in vans or car and trailers - GOV.UK

Will a tacho be the next requirement?

Sounds expensive with extra insurance needed?