Gritter driver shortage?

no shortage more rubbish being spouted

fuse:
more rubbish being spouted

Including the non existent job title of gritter driver like dustcart driver.
Road Maintenance Operatives, which effectively just means site labourer with a class 2 licence, shortage maybe.

grita Thunberg has applied for the job mate

Bob up and down:
grita Thunberg has applied for the job mate

Gary Gritter would love the job it would get him out of his cell for a few nights.

Marion Morrison might be up for it?
He`s a True Gritter.

fuse:

I could imagine it’s true. Council HGV driver wages are really really crap. Would you go drive a lorry for £20k a year for the council when you can go drive one for £30k a year for the same hours?

Conor:

fuse:

I could imagine it’s true. Council HGV driver wages are really really crap.

Councils don’t all pay the same wage and we are not on £20k.

And there are lots of benefits you haven’t mentioned -

Job and finish some days we only work 6 hours and we never work more than 7.5 (day shift Monday - Friday)

Brilliant company pension scheme

27 days holiday + bank holidays

CPC training paid for.

Bin Man:

Conor:

fuse:

Job and finish some days we only work 6 hours and we never work more than 7.5 (day shift Monday - Friday)

CPC training paid for.

Not bad perks but you still don’t mention what you are on a year as all those things still don’t pay the bills and down here in Devon council money is peanuts as Conor says

Does it matter about a driver shortage■■? There is a shortage of Grit to put on the roads. :open_mouth:

Bin Man:

Conor:

fuse:

CPC training paid for.

CPC cost only about 70 quid per years.27 day holiday can get anywhere.
I don t think who plenty people will happy work 7 hours per day and get 20K.It is good for 50+man without mortgages,house rent.

Andrejs:

Bin Man:

Conor:

fuse:

CPC training paid for.

CPC cost only about 70 quid per years.27 day holiday can get anywhere.
I don t think who plenty people will happy work 7 hours per day and get 20K.It is good for 50+man without mortgages,house rent.

I was actually one of the very rare examples of actually being employed by the local County Council as a driver.
7.30 am start and finish at 5pm I couldn’t afford to take the basic money to finish at 4 pm.
Only 1/2 hour lunch unpaid.
For that I got £80 per week having dropped from £100 per week for 40 hours in my previous job.
3 weeks holiday instead of 4 and only Christmas Day and Boxing Day, as opposed to 2 weeks shut down which didn’t affect holiday entitlement in my previous job.
As for gritting it was usually done by ‘road maintenance’ workers who were trained to class 2 in house and to date the job is still part of that of road maintenance operative not class 2 driver.I guess the money is as bad as ever even though it’s generally contracted out to the private sector not direct labour.

CPC cost only about 70 quid per years.

So we get to keep £350 of our own money every 5 years plus we get paid time and a half for the inconvenience as we do it on a Saturday.

27 day holiday can get anywhere.

Really, does that include bank holidays we are getting 36 next year!

We rarely work the full 7 hours if everything goes to plan tomorrow i will have worked 30 this week.

Not bad perks but you still don’t mention what you are on a year as all those things still don’t pay the bills and down here in Devon council money is peanuts as Conor says

£24,000 we had a pay rise a couple of years ago to try to stop drivers leaving to do other work and it has worked so far.

Bin Man:

I get 33 days the same as the fulltimers where I am. I get my CPC paid for although I don’t get paid to do it.

£24,000 we had a pay rise a couple of years ago to try to stop drivers leaving to do other work and it has worked so far.

Might not for much longer. Whilst that was a good rate a couple of years ago it’s starting to lag now. I only have to work 28hrs a week including breaks to earn that on days, I can earn it in three 8hr nights including paid 45 minute break, 27hrs when the new wage rise kicks in in January doing nothing more than driving from A to B, sitting there 1-2 hrs hours watching Netflix waiting for my changeover, driving back. I’m in one of the poorer paying parts of the UK and even here the hourly rate I’m on isn’t really anything outstanding anymore like it was a couple of years ago. The only thing that makes up for that with yours is if you’re employed directly by the council so get the perks with the better sick pay and public sector pension.

I can believe there’s a shortage - bin drivers are rarer than hens teeth.

Might not for much longer. Whilst that was a good rate a couple of years ago it’s starting to lag now.

I am not trying to say its a great wage but looking at indeed for the area most class 2 jobs start at £12 per hour so its on par with other work and now the public sector pay freeze has ended with luck we will be in for a decent rise next year.

I guess its all about what you want, if you want a day job in your local area finishing work early most days, working for a company that offers a great pension scheme and up to 6 months full sick pay, decent holiday entitlement and a job that keeps you physically fit then look no further if you want to earn higher wages its obviously not the job for you.

Bin Man:

CPC cost only about 70 quid per years.

So we get to keep £350 of our own money every 5 years plus we get paid time and a half for the inconvenience as we do it on a Saturday.

27 day holiday can get anywhere.

We rarely work the full 7 hours if everything goes to plan tomorrow i will have worked 30 this week.

24000 it us 450-470 before tax or some 350-370after tax.It is good work 7h per day.But for most people with mortgate/house rent to small money.

Bin Man:

Might not for much longer. Whilst that was a good rate a couple of years ago it’s starting to lag now.

I am not trying to say its a great wage but looking at indeed for the area most class 2 jobs start at £12 per hour so its on par with other work and now the public sector pay freeze has ended with luck we will be in for a decent rise next year.

I guess its all about what you want, if you want a day job in your local area finishing work early most days, working for a company that offers a great pension scheme and up to 6 months full sick pay, decent holiday entitlement and a job that keeps you physically fit then look no further if you want to earn higher wages its obviously not the job for you.

Yes, that’s the thing. I’m on £32,000 for Class 1 which is low for where I am (Rugby) but I did 9 hours today, 6 hours yesterday, 8 hours on Tuesday and although Monday was a long day for me at 11.5 hours, I get overtime pay for 1.5 hours of that. Plus, at least 80% of my day is spent sitting around surfing the internet.

I could earn a lot more if I wanted to do 14-15 hour days with nights out elsewhere but I need very little money to survive on- I pay no mortgage, rent, council tax, water rates or utility bills etc, my children are grown and both paying their own ways through life now- so my quality time is more important to me than the money. There’s no point being the richest person in the graveyard.

so my quality time is more important to me than the money. There’s no point being the richest person in the graveyard.

Amen to that.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Does it matter about a driver shortage■■? There is a shortage of Grit to put on the roads. :open_mouth:

Is there? all our salt barns are full to bursting.

As previously mentioned the local council gritters are normally driven by road maintenance drivers and managers.

Normally they receive “stand by pay” and get paid for all hours worked, as it falls outside drivers hours regulations, they can work 24hrs, which is one of the reasons there’s always a picture of a gritter in a ditch or on it’s side every year.