Just when you think you’ve heard it all……

So on a Facebook page someone asked about leaving card in overnight when tramping, I leave mine in from moment I get in to moment I get out, weeks sometimes but many remove every day, down to what a driver is happiest doing or company rules imo. Then you get a comment like this. Just when you think you’ve heard every ridiculous tale going a new one pops up-

He is wrong, however I would take my card out in a layby just incase I’m in the middle and the truck infront moves and I’m on daily il move it cause I’m not a selfish cu nt. If I’m sleeping though I’m sleeping

TruckDriverBen:
He is wrong, however I would take my card out in a layby just incase I’m in the middle and the truck infront moves and I’m on daily il move it cause I’m not a selfish cu nt. If I’m sleeping though I’m sleeping

You may not be selfish but you’re going to get nicked for falsifying or whatever.
Essentially you are claiming to be stopped on a break, but you are taking your card out to (unsucessfully) hide the fact that you have moved your truck whilst on a break.
Pedantic sure, but that is the way they will view it when they nick you.

Ah, the DCPC, the gift that keeps on giving :laughing:

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

You may not be selfish but you’re going to get nicked for falsifying or whatever.
Essentially you are claiming to be stopped on a break, but you are taking your card out to (unsucessfully) hide the fact that you have moved your truck whilst on a break.

Out of curiosity with your card in if you move forward 10 yards and pop tacho back on break to continue the rest period, could they tell under analysis?

njl:

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

Out of curiosity with your card in if you move forward 10 yards and pop tacho back on break to continue the rest period, could they tell under analysis?

Yes.

Realistically it woukdntvrecird anything on your tacho, you could move forward and pop it back on rest and in terms of the tacho head rest times etc would be unbroken so therefore it wouldn’t generate any report so therefore the average transport office type person wouldn’t have the gumption to think anything might be up.

But if the data was analysed by someone with a clue yes it would show up.

njl:

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

In a nutshell yes something to do with looking at the display in the driver 2 slot, on rest it will show rest in the driver 2 slot move forward and that rest is reset from the time that you moved an office download will not show this but when the head is downloaded in a roadside check it will show up if they look for it. The reason it doesn’t show up on your card is because the card is programmed to show what activity took place for the majority of the minute so 15 seconds on rest pull forward for 10 seconds go back to rest, majority of the minute has been spent on rest so that is what is recorded

Mazzer2:
The reason it doesn’t show up on your card is because the card is programmed to show what activity took place for the majority of the minute so 15 seconds on rest pull forward for 10 seconds go back to rest, majority of the minute has been spent on rest so that is what is recorded

Sounds correct.

Card In
The No1 display will show “Driving” for the few seconds you are moving. but revert back to Rest when stopped, and it will not show Driving on Driver Card*.
Card Out
If you move without a card in for a small distance and it will flash up “Driving Without Card”. That will be recorded on the head, and easily read off straight away from analysis or a simple printout.
Read the bottom of your daily print out. One minute video. Sec 0-40 last events from vehicle and driver are shown here.
Older details are easily available >Print>Events> Half a minute at the roadside, no equipment necessary.

Your card is in before and after “Driving without Card”, is going to prompt further questions.
Never try to hide anything. If you have a legitimate reason to move, no big deal, show it and explain it.
Hide it and they will be looking very closely at everything.

Ed. * the other posts are correct though, although it doesn`t easily show on card, if left in, it can still be found.

If card left in be careful of turn on ignition on daily rest as it defaults to other work, take care , B good Bobby.

There’s no gain/upside to leaving one’s card in - so why do it?

The ■■■■■■■ post - comes across like that one about the £30 fine per wind of the handle, when the legs are not all the way up…

Next, we’ll be told that the reason drivers leave one barn door open whilst parked in a layby - is for insurance purposes… A Robbing Brudder that might happen on by - won’t bother to ■■■■■ your curtains and nick what might be a low-value load inside IF he can see a low-value load inside through the open barn door…

Thus, the damage to the truck is kept low to non-existant, and truck insurers are happy, even if the load insurers - are not
(because, as you all know - some people will nick a box of matches and some second hand chewing gum, IF it is left lying about that sends the message “Nick Me” to let’s say the “Communities of low repute” that abound…)

Bob up and down:
If card left in be careful of turn on ignition on daily rest as it defaults to other work, take care , B good Bobby.

That’s a setting on the particular vehicle you drive. Ours used to do that from new, a quick trip to the tacho centre had them adjusted so that the mode stayed on whatever it was set at regardless of how many times you turned your ignition on or off.

Winseer:
There’s no gain/upside to leaving one’s card in - so why do it?

The [zb] post - comes across like that one about the £30 fine per wind of the handle, when the legs are not all the way up…

Next, we’ll be told that the reason drivers leave one barn door open whilst parked in a layby - is for insurance purposes… A Robbing Brudder that might happen on by - won’t bother to ■■■■■ your curtains and nick what might be a low-value load inside IF he can see a low-value load inside through the open barn door…

Thus, the damage to the truck is kept low to non-existant, and truck insurers are happy, even if the load insurers - are not
(because, as you all know - some people will nick a box of matches and some second hand chewing gum, IF it is left lying about that sends the message “Nick Me” to let’s say the “Communities of low repute” that abound…)

If you leave you card in it takes away any temptation to do something illegal, ie I’ll just drive across the yard & pick the truck up & put my card in , drive to yard exit , traffic lights are only 5 mins down the road ,
That temptation may 1 day cost you a fine & a load of hassle to go with it
But as with anything it’s upto the individual

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

If you are in the vehicle, best practice is to keep the card in. Robroy is right in that, if you move the vehicle without a card, that is technically a falsification offence. Much better to leave the card in and record a (very) brief interruption to daily rest or break. It’s still technically an infringement, but a much less serious one.

If you park up with the card in and have accidentally blocked the entrance to a field by a lay by , farmer Giles turns up banging on the door shouting Shift it Robert .

Traffic Commissioner:

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

If you are in the vehicle, best practice is to keep the card in. Robroy is right in that, if you move the vehicle without a card, that is technically a falsification offence. Much better to leave the card in and record a (very) brief interruption to daily rest or break. It’s still technically an infringement, but a much less serious one.

Exactly - a breif interuption of a daily rest with a printout to explain why is not a “serious” offence .
Pulling the card - moving the truck with no card in is fraud , falsifing records and can result(in serious cases ) in a jail term .