Dhl wages / conditions

I was listening to a dhl boss on tv this morning & he was saying they have no issues recruiting airline pilots / hgv drivers , so what are dhl t&c,s that put them in a position wherevthey can recruit without any issues , whereas so many others seem too struggle

DHL do have a shortage of drivers. Just recently they have been threatened with industrial action on the JLR contract.
Alot of their drivers have been there for 20 years plus and scared of a change. They also recruit new passes so often this fills their drivers.

Ontop they also use subbies such as Bentons, Onpoint, midlands container and a few others. They also have agency staff ontop of this.

The only good thing about Dhl is the balance between work and home. Usually its 8-9 hours shift and fairly relaxed. They pay is crap at 33k but you get overtime if you work over 45 hours.

Youve only got to look at the DHL recruitment website [supplychainjobs.dhl.com/jobs/campaign](https://supplychainjobs.dhl.com/jobs/campaign) to see the salaries theyre offering, which are normally well below the average. For example they where actively advertising for Drivers at the Manton wood site at Worksop, the money offered for Mon - Friday 06:00-11:00 start times was around £27K for C+E Day drivers, and £29K for Trampers. Whereas Wilkos across the road, and B&Q around the corner are at least £5K-£8K more. Im told Wilkos are 36 drivers short of their quota, and B&Q have recruited several of their own. This is why DHL are rapidly rolling out their training program for anyone wanting to either upgrade C>C+E, or Car>cat C, and theres several HGV driving school outfits from out of town running up and down the A57 who contracted to do the training

Daani:
DHL do have a shortage of drivers. Just recently they have been threatened with industrial action on the JLR contract.
Alot of their drivers have been there for 20 years plus and scared of a change. They also recruit new passes so often this fills their drivers.

Ontop they also use subbies such as Bentons, Onpoint, midlands container and a few others. They also have agency staff ontop of this.

The only good thing about Dhl is the balance between work and home. Usually its 8-9 hours shift and fairly relaxed. They pay is crap at 33k but you get overtime if you work over 45 hours.

Where you’ve written “A lot of their drivers have been there for 20 years plus and scared of a change” could also be interpreted as… the senior drivers don’t take any ■■■■ when management try to impose change.

Where you’ve written “A lot of their drivers have been there for 20 years plus and scared of a change” could also be interpreted as… the senior drivers don’t take any [zb] when management try to impose change.
[/quote]
Your absolutely correct there mate. Thats why in many places they try get rid of the sensior drivers so they can implement changes.

dozy:
I was listening to a dhl boss on tv this morning & he was saying they have no issues recruiting airline pilots / hgv drivers , so what are dhl t&c,s that put them in a position wherevthey can recruit without any issues , whereas so many others seem too struggle

at our site,it’s a set of revolving doors for driver’s…we take on newbies,ex-army,and are training up a warehouse bod and an office lady,to drive Class 1.
but a lot of driver’s don’t want the double deckers,a lot of driver’s don’t want the 15 hour day’s,and tbh,some of the new-passes are hopeless.

Daani:

the work/life balance doesn’t apply at our depot! start and finish times are all over the place…tho’ they have had to put up the pay,which is around £40k now…but DHL don’t pay our salary…our Customer does :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:
and tbh,some of the new-passes are hopeless.

I wonder if that’s because they’re new. :wink:

Seriously though you’ve got to remember that unlike us old ■■■■■ who were used to doing things with our hands and could do simple stuff like change an inner tube on a bicycle tyre that there’s now an entire generation in the workforce who’ve spent their lives doing nothing more than poking a finger at a rectangular screen. They have no mechanical “common sense”, in fact they’re quite bereft of common sense because they’ve been told all their lives that in order to be able to do something you have to do a training course and get a NVQ or higher in it or you can’t do it. There’s an entire generation who believe it’s illegal to wire a plug unless you’re a qualified electrician.

carryfast-yeti:
but a lot of driver’s don’t want the double deckers,a lot of driver’s don’t want the 15 hour day’s,and tbh,some of the new-passes are hopeless.

Don’t mind double deckers but if they want me to work 15 hours then they need to give me two days to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Conor:

carryfast-yeti:

Seriously though you’ve got to remember that unlike us old ■■■■■ who were used to doing things with our hands and could do simple stuff like change an inner tube on a bicycle tyre that there’s now an entire generation in the workforce who’ve spent their lives doing nothing more than poking a finger at a rectangular screen. They have no mechanical “common sense”, in fact they’re quite bereft of common sense because they’ve been told all their lives that in order to be able to do something you have to do a training course and get a NVQ or higher in it or you can’t do it. There’s an entire generation who believe it’s illegal to wire a plug unless you’re a qualified electrician.

You sound like uncle Albert, during the war … move on times have changed.

Might I also add, it’s because of stupid things you old drivers did which caused health and safety to be so strict.

I changed a trailer bulb the other day, one of our drivers rang the office telling them what i had done. The manager just told him to worry about his truck. I am not waiting for a recovery van to come and change a bulb

discoman:

Conor:

carryfast-yeti:

You sound like uncle Albert, during the war … move on times have changed.

Might I also add, it’s because of stupid things you old drivers did which caused health and safety to be so strict.

I’d suggest it’s because of stupid things they were expected to do…

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

dozy:

DHL run across a number of contracts and can be very different working environments.

On my contract for a while we were losing drivers hand over fist - largely due to a toxic manager. The lads banded together and that manager has gone

We also secured 3 pay rises this year to just under 39k plus antisocial hours payments

WheelsofCardiff:
, one of our drivers rang the office telling them what i had done.

So, what have you all done to him? Pulled his hair? Flushed his head down the bog? Taken a dump in his lunchbox?

Bullshine they are struggling to attract and retain drivers as are most companies.

I know of a driver that dropped a trailer on its knees, a year or so ago and that was instant dismissal but he’s still there because they are changing the rules to keep drivers.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:
Bullshine they are struggling to attract and retain drivers as are most companies.

I know of a driver that dropped a trailer on its knees, a year or so ago and that was instant dismissal but he’s still there because they are changing the rules to keep drivers.

My contract isn’t struggling anymore.

Monkey241:

simcor:

Other contracts are when they are using subbies to cover the work and giving all the crap runs to the regular drivers they have.

simcor:

Monkey241:

simcor:

Other contracts are when they are using subbies to cover the work and giving all the crap runs to the regular drivers they have.

Subbies are employed for a fixed period…

Our place still has too many subbies and the reverse is the case. We have regular drivers on spare or coming in expecting a second run, only to find its been covered

Monkey241:

simcor:

Monkey241:

simcor:

Subbies are employed for a fixed period…

Our place still has too many subbies and the reverse is the case. We have regular drivers on spare or coming in expecting a second run, only to find its been covered

My friend wrk at DPD Hincley.He talk was about 200 new drivers seating in canteen all shift and waiting for job.Now DPD said sorry you don t need to us anymore.Some new agency drivers don t touch stearing wheels at DPD.

Monkey241:

simcor:

I work for a firm that does a lot of subbie work for DHL. Liverpool, Skem, Dunelm Leicester are (sadly) regular places for me to go into. I find DHL to be full of argumentative, pendantic and generally awkward people from the drivers & shunters to the office staff.

I reckon you fit in well.