Overloaded margin

On a gross weight what is the margin, anyone know?

Severity…Endorsable …Fixed penalty amount
Less than 10%… …No… £100
10% up to but not including 15% …No…£200
15% and over…No…£300
A £100 penalty will be given for a 0% to 9.99% overload, but DVSA examiners will allow a 5% leeway before issuing a fixed penalty or prohibition, unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more.

gov.uk/government/publicati … t-offences

Is that what you`re looking for?

How much…

Are you over by or, are you asking for a friend?

yourhavingalarf:
How much…

Interested as stuff carrying will be close to the limit.

Sand Fisher:

yourhavingalarf:
How much…

Interested as stuff carrying will be close to the limit.

Suggest trying to get use of an axle weigher when possible, mainly to check tractor mid lift axle weights (more important if you have small mid lift wheels), i find if anything is going to be close to its limit its the mid lift, surprising the difference the fifth wheel position makes on such configurations.
Also you get to double check the trailer axles are spreading weights evenly, i find the front axle of a triple axle can weigh up to 500kg heavier than the other two, have asked mechanics before why this is and if anything can be done, but no one seems to know how to correct this or even if its possible.

Juddian:
i find the front axle of a triple axle can weigh up to 500kg heavier than the other two, have asked mechanics before why this is and if anything can be done, but no one seems to know how to correct this or even if its possible.

I dont know the answer to that, but (like you) Id love to find out why?
All on air of course?
I guess you have tried weighing them, reversing or going around the block and doing the same again? To ensure the the scales are accurate? I very much doubt theyd be 500kg out, but I would check rather than assume. Tried altering the height of the unit? On a linked air suspension system, it certainly shouldnt be an issue if all set up correctly, but worth a check.
Is it a lift front axle? No residual pressure in any lift baq?

(I daresay you`ve tried all that but just giving a nudge)

Is it not just as simple as distance between rear unit axle and first trailer axle is greater than the difference between trailer axle one and two?

So a longer distance = more weight to transfer between two fixed points?

Franglais.
No the difference is every time.
No front lifter, the trailer as with most trailers angles down slightly from front to rear, which if anything ought to see a slightly lighter front axle, but no the opposite is the case, haven’t tried lowering the tractor prior to going over but we’re only talking about 3" here and whilst most of us would happily receive a 3" bonus :smiling_imp: , i really can’t see why it should make any difference and anyway it should in theory make the trailer front axle heavier (as would be the case on steel springs), but will try with lowered tractor unit next time out of interest.

Toonsy.
There should be no weight transfer at all, its an axle weighbridge designed to be driven over slowly at a constant crawl speed, just as you’d find if you got pulled in for roadside dvsa weight check.

Its not an issue as within legal weights on all axles, just would like to know why its like this.

A weighbridge you roll over slowly? Any chance of some sort of inertia in it? Stop for each axle? Different speed gives different readings?
(I am imagining more than reasoning here) If the H&S elfs allow it reverse over it? Again I doubt it`ll change anything.

Franglais:
A weighbridge you roll over slowly? Any chance of some sort of inertia in it? Stop for each axle? Different speed gives different readings?
(I am imagining more than reasoning here) If the H&S elfs allow it reverse over it? Again I doubt it`ll change anything.

No, its exactly like a ministry bridge, if you falter, change speed or anything during roll over it throws and error and you have to start again.
I know its right because have compared with the combined split weighings on flat traditional bridges, its also on the level, not like the ministry one that used to be just off the A1/A57 jct near Retford, which if my memory serves being on a downhill slope gave somewhat false readings.

Juddian:

Franglais:

No, its exactly like a ministry bridge, if you falter, change speed or anything during roll over it throws and error and you have to start again.
I know its right because have compared with the combined split weighings on flat traditional bridges, its also on the level, not like the ministry one that used to be just off the A1/A57 jct near Retford, which if my memory serves being on a downhill slope gave somewhat false readings.

Cheers for that. I was rather throwing ideas out without much reason behind them.