Caught drink and drug driving.

Thankfully not something we read often WTF was he thinking when he turned the key -

Reports of a HGV that had crashed into a sign + barrier on the M6 at Tebay.
Extensive search carried out, unable to locate until a kind HGV driver contacted us and reported this parked up in Penrith.
The driver blew 56/ + for cocaine after a heavy night

That should be…

Career as lorry driver over.

Tilt, no extra ball and no replay. Permanent removal of all LGV licences.

What penalties do they hand out for drink or drug driving i don’t think i have ever seen a HGV driver prosecuted for doing it.

Let me take a guess of which nationality he is
Perhaps not wouldn’t want to be a xenophobic know would I

> robthedog:
> Let me take a guess of which nationality he is
> Perhaps not wouldn’t want to be a xenophobic know would I

Well its RHD so if it’s a guess between Irish, Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Manx or English I’d put my money on English

Bin Man:
Thankfully not something we read often WTF was he thinking when he turned the key

I hope it starts ?

why would you risk your livelyhood for a moment of sniff? :imp:

Robroy strikes again, he wasn’t happy at just having his wheels on the kerb. Now he will rant at how the cops are picking on the poor driver

Bin Man:
What penalties do they hand out for drink or drug driving i don’t think i have ever seen a HGV driver prosecuted for doing it.

From blog.cansfordlabs.co.uk/hgv-dri … nd-the-law
The penalty for a drug-driving conviction is severe, and may include:
An unlimited fine
A driving ban of a minimum of one year
Up to six months in prison
A criminal record

Porridge for this one. The book will be thrown at him. Can ses him pleading insanity

Testing positive doesnt mean you are under the effect of the drug at all - the levels were set at trace amounts - simply as a way of hounding people who use drugs rather than anything to do with road safety.

The levels are set so low its like if you had a shandy at the weekend you would still test positive for drunk driving the following friday. Nonsense.

JeffA:
Testing positive doesnt mean you are under the effect of the drug at all - the levels were set at trace amounts - simply as a way of hounding people who use drugs rather than anything to do with road safety.

The levels are set so low its like if you had a shandy at the weekend you would still test positive for drunk driving the following friday. Nonsense.

Doesn’t matter. A positive swipe leads to blood being drawn and as long as that shows the drugs your done

JeffA:

It doesn’t matter about the levels and whether it effects you (we are all different and it will effect us all differently) at that level the law states if you fail the test you will be banned if you are stupid enough to smoke cannabis and drive knowing that fact don’t moan if you are prosecuted.

When you have an alcoholic drink you know roughly when it will be safe to drive as the stats are out there and easy to find if you smoke a couple of joints how do you know when its effect has worn off enough for it not to effect your driving?

It’s much easier to gauge when you will be safe to drive after alcohol because the alcohol by volume figure is readily available, I know people have different tolerances to alcohol intake but it at least gives you an indication of how much you’ve consumed. I’d imagine it’s hard to tell with weed and almost impossible with cocaine as you’d have no idea what it has been cut with so you wouldn’t necessarily know what a ‘safe’ amount was.

Surely the only safe level has to be zero?

MrBigmouth:
It’s much easier to gauge when you will be safe to drive after alcohol because the alcohol by volume figure is readily available, I know people have different tolerances to alcohol intake but it at least gives you an indication of how much you’ve consumed. I’d imagine it’s hard to tell with weed and almost impossible with cocaine as you’d have no idea what it has been cut with so you wouldn’t necessarily know what a ‘safe’ amount was.

Spot on, you only have to watch the cop shows on the TV and every one that is pulled and tests positive knows its coming they know not to do it but they carry on regardless they have no idea if they are fit to drive so deserve everything they get when they are caught, the worry is drug driving is on the increase and has been for a while -

Drug-driving offences in England and Wales were up by a fifth last year, according to the latest Government figures.

Some 11,614 motorists were found guilty of drug-driving offences in 2019, a rise of 19.89 per cent compared with the 9,687 successfully prosecuted in 2018. Essex Police reported a record number of drug-driving arrests in April, when they cuffed 266 suspects - the previous highest number the force had on record for one month was 184.

Data released by the Ministry of Justice also revealed a 3.21 per cent increase in the number of people found guilty of drink-driving, rising from 33,634 in 2018 to 34,713 in 2019.

Dangerous driving offences were up by 4.27 per cent - from 3,634 to 3,789 - while the number of drivers convicted of causing death by dangerous driving rose 10.83 per cent from 157 to 174.

Incidents of careless driving increased by just half a per cent in 2019, while the number of people found guilty of using a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel fell by 21.09 per cent year-on-year, from 11,901 to 9,391.

Edmund King, president of the AA, commented: “We should all be concerned that the number of guilty drug driving convictions has increased.

“Police forces are rightly testing drivers where they see that driving ability is impaired, and some have seen a record number of arrests recently. But we need to get to the root cause of the problem and stop this before it becomes endemic.

“While more than a third of people admit they take recreational drugs like cannabis on a regular basis, they could be unaware of the consequences drug driving can have. More action is needed to improve driver education and to stop the supply of illegal drugs.”

autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ … nth-period

Bin Man:

JeffA:

It doesn’t matter about the levels and whether it effects you (we are all different and it will effect us all differently) at that level the law states if you fail the test you will be banned if you are stupid enough to smoke cannabis and drive knowing that fact don’t moan if you are prosecuted.

When you have an alcoholic drink you know roughly when it will be safe to drive as the stats are out there and easy to find if you smoke a couple of joints how do you know when its effect has worn off enough for it not to effect your driving?

Well it does matter because the levels are set at a level that has no effect on a human being. So as I said - testing positive DOES NOT IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER mean you are under the influence of the drug. It means you have taken a drug sometime in the last fortnight.

Nobody knows how much alcohol affects anyone either - but its a good bet if your last drink was a week ago you are not drunk. Same thing with any other drug - if you took it last week then you arnt under the influence.

MrBigmouth:

No, like with any drug theres a level of the drug that correlates to its effects just like alcohol. If you had 500micrograms of cannabis in your blood you will under its influence. The level is set at 2. Thats the same as having a shandy 3 days ago and still testing drunk.

Whats it cut with makes no difference.

Bin Man:

MrBigmouth:

Spot on, you only have to watch the cop shows on the TV and every one that is pulled and tests positive knows its coming they know not to do it but they carry on regardless they have no idea if they are fit to drive so deserve everything they get when they are caught, the worry is drug driving is on the increase and has beend

Hard to say if “drug driving” is on the increase because testing positive for trace amounts isnt “drug driving”. No more than testing positive for a shandy you had 3 days ago is “drunk driving”. The only figure we can be confident of is “sober people are being accused of ingesting drugs 2 weeks ago”.

It was just a way of carrying on the drug war. Nothing to do with road safety.

Theyve legalised weed in massive areas of the united states. No problem.

Also has to be said that weed doesnt impair you like alcohol - watch ju-jitsu cannabis competitions where people fight high - they still have tremendous, accurate physical control of themselves its not like alcohol falling all over the place.

Alcohol is legal to drink at any levels, providing you are not driving nor operating/in charge of machinery, or being a general nuisance in public.

If you legalize so-called “soft drugs” like weed - you risk having party perps staggering around under the wheels of perfectly sober tea-total drivers on a friday night, as it also seems that walking around in dark clothing along unlit rural main roads in the middle of the night amongst EEs in particular - is a lot more popular than walking around in Black Face at present. :neutral_face:

The A26 between Leybourne and Tonbridge - is a good example of people acting thus… Add things like “Wet Road” and “Fog” or anything else that reduces visibility - and the knock-on risks of being under the influence of ANYTHING - climbs astronomically… :open_mouth:

I must remain against legalizing recreational drugs beyond what they already are. Over-Drinking of Alcohol - can be contained at least…

Theyve legalised it in a dozen states in the US already winseer - not been an upswing in people diving under the wheels of passing vehicles.

The main reason it should be legalised is we are all supposed to have dominion over our own bodies. Its like you enjoying football and some one saying “im banning it cos I dont like it”. Where did these people get the idea they can decide what you do with your own body? It comes from the same place as the old homosexual laws - busybodies and bigots forcing you to be like them