HGV driver 'struck by own vehicle'

This article was posted at 11:49 a.m has anyone heard how he is getting on?

HGV driver in critical condition after being ‘struck by own vehicle’ on M62 on Merseyside

A lorry driver is in a critical condition in hospital after he was struck by his own HGV on the M62 in the early hours of this morning. (24 November)

Police say they were contacted just before 1:50am after reports that a man had been seriously injured close to junction seven at Rainhill in St Helens.

It is believed that the driver has been struck by his own lorry before the vehicle crashed into the nearside barrier. No other vehicles are thought to have been involved.
The driver is currently in hospital in a critical condition with life-changing injuries.

The crash caused major traffic delays after the road was forced closed to allow investigative work to take place.

Sergeant Steve Smith from the Matrix Roads Policing Unit said: “We are currently working to establish what has taken place in the lead up to this incident.

“I would ask anyone who was travelling along the M62 close to junction seven in the early hours of this morning who saw the vehicle or witnessed anything to contact us.”

itv.com/news/granada/2021-1 … merseyside

The fact it’s reported as being critical with life changing injuries doesn’t sound like he’s doing well really does it?

Hope he makes some sort of decent recovery from it whatever that might be.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

First of…

All, I hope the driver makes a good recovery.

My theory? He’s got out to water the wheels/check the load/broken down and left the brake off. On seeing it roll away, he’s been injured attempting to get back into the cab to put the brakes on.

simcor:
The fact it’s reported as being critical with life changing injuries doesn’t sound like he’s doing well really does it?

What i meant was has anyone heard if he is still with us, i am sure all of us “hope he makes some sort of decent recovery from it whatever that might be”

yourhavingalarf:
First of…

My theory? He’s got out to water the wheels/check the load/broken down and left the brake off. On seeing it roll away, he’s been injured attempting to get back into the cab to put the brakes on.

Been told it was a recovery driver on a call out.

1FLEETRENEGADE:

yourhavingalarf:
First of…

Been told it was a recovery driver on a call out.

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I know its not particularly relevant to this post but in general if I see a recovery/breakdown guy on the hard shoulder I’ll always try to “slow down, move over” but it’s amazing how many don’t. Must be terrifying.

yourhavingalarf:
First of…

…Could have jackknifed it, and got struck and pushed around (causing severe back injury) in the back of the cab by the twisting trailer, which may have jumped the pin during the jackknifing?

…Bear in mind the picture shows a twisted rather than broken cab that doesn’t seem to be very damaged, prima facia…

It IS possible to run oneself over - whilst actually driving, and in motion, and without leaving the cab at all…
“Uncontrolled Vehicle Movement”…

Looking at the picture the cab which is tilted appears to be the recovered vehicle on the back of a recovery vehicle.

As all have said fingers crossed for a good outcome for the driver.