How many of you have been over 15 hours?

I came close the other day.
I had a run to peterborough and back then to Uxbridge and back.
I knew I was in for a long day so on my first run I got to Peterborough and came back then had break in the yard. I was on 4 hours 27 minutes driving time.
Had my break then went to Uxbridge. Got back to the yard on 4 hours 19 minutes driving time.
Started at 2215 finished at 13:00.
So if I took my break early on the first run. Then I would of had to take a break on my Uxbridge run and I would of never of made it back in time as I would of had to take a 2nd driving time break. :grimacing:

But that’s the closest I have been.
How many of you have hit the 15 hour mark and what did your bosses do? Pick you up or made you take a night out?

15 hour day jeeez Christ- I thought my 11 was bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bongobus11:

Ye, unfortunately I cant work part time like you. :grimacing:

adam277:

Bongobus11:

Ye, unfortunately I cant work part time like you. :grimacing:

Fair one [emoji1787][emoji106]

adam277:
How many of you have hit the 15 hour mark and what did your bosses do? Pick you up or made you take a night out?

Night out. Only way I’d ever consider being picked up is Friday and I’m off the weekend. If its a works vehicle they’re expecting you to drive back then that’s illegal.

Can probably count on the fingers of one hand where it’s happened over the last 20 odd years when it’s not been expected as a possibility of being a night out job.

Never done nights but ain’t there a rule nights can’t be more than 10 hours? Or is it one of them laws that you can opt out of or isn’t enforced?

Conor:
If its a works vehicle they’re expecting you to drive back then that’s illegal.

I think that it is more than being expected to drive a vehicle.
If you are collected near your 15hrs, and are neither in an hotel, nor back at your base by the 15hrs, your daily rest has not started, so you are bent.
Being a passenger in any vehicle is not counted as daily rest. (Outside of trains, ferries, with bunks etc)

adam277:

There is no (legal) option for them to come and “rescue” you if you’ve reached 15 hours duty time, as time spent travelling to or from a vehicle that is away from base cannot (legally) be counted as Rest.

Makes no difference who does the driving or what type of vehicle is used.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

edd1974:
Never done nights but ain’t there a rule nights can’t be more than 10 hours? Or is it one of them laws that you can opt out of or isn’t enforced?

There is a Working Time Directive rule that night-time working may not exceed 10 hours - but (a) it is only working hours that count (not breaks or POA) and (b) yes, it is something that can be opted out of if there is a workforce agreement in place.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a few times inadvertently and unavoidably so., unforseen circumstances, rta.s etc.
But I don’t know why o/p thinks it’s such a big deal,.as long as you ain’t taking the ■■■■ and/or falsifying,.they ain’t interested.
So just chill out, record it and no dramas. :unamused:

adam277:
I came close the other day.
I had a run to peterborough and back then to Uxbridge and back.
I knew I was in for a long day so on my first run I got to Peterborough and came back then had break in the yard. I was on 4 hours 27 minutes driving time.
Had my break then went to Uxbridge. Got back to the yard on 4 hours 19 minutes driving time.
Started at 2215 finished at 13:00.
So if I took my break early on the first run. Then I would of had to take a break on my Uxbridge run and I would of never of made it back in time as I would of had to take a 2nd driving time break. :grimacing:

But that’s the closest I have been.

You need to wise up and manage your time better, so the second run never happened get it kid ?

Only in my early years on log books when it suited me went well over 15. Sometimes people forgot to fill it in for a few days then the hours became a little hazy. :wink:

jakethesnake:
Only in my early years on log books when it suited me went well over 15. Sometimes people forgot to fill it in for a few days then the hours became a little hazy. :wink:

I remember Friday afternoons in a smoke filled tea room, as various heads were being scratched, and various lies being, sorry various lines being written…

As far as I understand the tacho rules, if you don’t go straight to your house from the lorry, then it’s illegal to be picked up. You’re breaking the law going back to the yard to debrief and pick your car up.

To answer your question, I’ve never been in that position in 17 years of HGV driving. Except once when I broke down and got towed back. It was 15 hours and 35 minutes. Just did a print out.

Franglais:

jakethesnake:

I remember Friday afternoons in a smoke filled tea room, as various heads were being scratched, and various lies being, sorry various lines being written…

you suggesting im telling porky pies?

ezydriver:
As far as I understand the tacho rules, if you don’t go straight to your house from the lorry, then it’s illegal to be picked up. You’re breaking the law going back to the yard to debrief and pick your car up.

That’s the law no doubt.
Practically though, I doubt they will prosecute someone for picking their car up.

Surpised no one has had to be picked up due to running out of hours. I know at Tesco it happened a few times.

double post.

adam277:

ezydriver:

That’s the law no doubt.
Practically though, I doubt they will prosecute someone for picking their car up.

No, but if you then went home and was back in at 2200 that night, then caused a potentially fatal crash that night, an investigation would reveal it, and they’d throw the book at you for having, say, 8 hours daily rest.

ezydriver:

Your understanding is incorrect. Time spent travelling to (or from) a vehicle which is not at its normal operating base or the driver’s home cannot be counted as Rest. This was exactly what got Skills Coaches into trouble all those years ago (drivers going to/returning from coaches in their own vehicles). If you’ve reached 15 hours (or 13 hours when no Reduced Rest is available) then the only legal thing you can do is stay with the truck (or in a hotel or lodgings at that location) until you’ve had your 9 (or 11) hours of Rest.

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

Your understanding is incorrect. Time spent travelling to (or from) a vehicle which is not at its normal operating base or the driver’s home cannot be counted as Rest. This was exactly what got Skills Coaches into trouble all those years ago (drivers going to/returning from coaches in their own vehicles). If you’ve reached 15 hours (or 13 hours when no Reduced Rest is available) then the only legal thing you can do is stay with the truck (or in a hotel or lodgings at that location) until you’ve had your 9 (or 11) hours of Rest.

I stand corrected.

Personally I’d just stay with the lorry anyway, but always thought calling the wife to pick me up was legal.

I could write a book on running out of hours , only a load of cans of cider got me through the Friday night , ■■■■■■■ nightmare