Question for the smarts on trailers

So here’s a thing.

45 foot tandem trailer.

Does it make any difference to weight capacity whether pulled by a 4x2 or 6x2?

Never really spent much time using tandem axle trailers but we have a number of 4x2 but mostly 6x2 units and tandem axle trailers these days.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Think 4 axle outfit which is not a rigid is restricted to 36 tons gross.
Tandem axle trailer pulled by a 3 axle unit I think is allowed to run at 41 tons.

Old John:
Tandem axle trailer pulled by a 3 axle unit I think is allowed to run at 41 tons.

Yeah I’m aware weights are different for a tandem axle trailer and a 4x2 unit. Just it was mentioned it’s only a problem if using a 4x2 but a 6x2 and it’s not an issue.

And as I’ve only really every used Tri axle trailers and 6x2 units I asked here as knew someone would know the correct answer.

I thought it was 38 tons for some reason myself 4x2 and tandem trailer.

I’m sure someone else can confirm what you have said.

Ah think I’ve found what I was looking for.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/3111/schedule/2/made:
4. Articulated vehicle satisfying the conditions specified in sub-paragraph (3) 4 38000
5. Articulated vehicle not falling within item 4 4 36000
8. Articulated vehicle 5 or more 40000

(3) The conditions referred to in item 4 of Table 3 are that–
(a)the combination consists of a 2-axle tractor unit and a 2-axle semi-trailer;
(b)the weight of the tractor unit comprised in the combination does not exceed 18000 kg;
(c)the sum of the axle weights of the semi-trailer does not exceed 20000 kg; and
(d)the driving axle is fitted with twin tyres and road friendly suspension.

So possibly 38t, except this page says

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hgv-maximum-weights/hgv-maximum-weights:
38000kg if the combination consists of a 2 axle tractor unit and 2 axle semi trailer where the gross weight of the tractor unit does not exceed 18000kg and the gross weight of the semi trailer does not exceed 20000kg. The drive axle must be fitted with twin tyres and road friendly suspension and the trailer axle spacing February 2010 must be at least 1.8m.

simcor:

Old John:

Yeah I’m aware weights are different for a tandem axle trailer and a 4x2 unit. Just it was mentioned it’s only a problem if using a 4x2 but a 6x2 and it’s not an issue.

And as I’ve only really every used Tri axle trailers and 6x2 units I asked here as knew someone would know the correct answer.

I thought it was 38 tons for some reason myself 4x2 and tandem trailer.

I’m sure someone else can confirm what you have said.

Interesting.
I was wrong about the 3+2 combo, I was thinking about 3+3 prior to the UK permitting 44t operation.
On the 2+2, I didn’t know that they can run at 38t provided they comply with the published conditions, principally theur the trailer has to have a wide spread bogie. They used to be popular with the ferry trailer companies, but I haven’t seen one for a long time.
I would imagine that getting the load distribution right at 38t would be something of a black art!

You’ve found the answer but this maybe useful for future reference.

A Simplified Guide to Lorry Types and Weights

tachograph:
You’ve found the answer but this maybe useful for future reference.

A Simplified Guide to Lorry Types and Weights

Cheers.

gov.uk/government/publicati … um-weights wrote:
38000kg if the combination consists of a 2 axle tractor unit and 2 axle semi trailer where the gross weight of the tractor unit does not exceed 18000kg and the gross weight of the semi trailer does not exceed 20000kg. The drive axle must be fitted with twin tyres and road friendly suspension and the trailer axle spacing February 2010 must be at least 1.8m.

How is the gross weight of the trailer going to not exceed 20,000kg and achieve a combination weight of 38,000kg unless the unit weighs a bit under 18,000 kg unladen? This should read “the Total Axle Weights of the trailer do not exceed 20,000kg.”

cav551:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hgv-maximum-weights/hgv-maximum-weights:

How is the gross weight of the trailer going to not exceed 20,000kg and achieve a combination weight of 38,000kg unless the unit weighs a bit under 18,000 kg unladen? This should read “the Total Axle Weights of the trailer do not exceed 20,000kg.”

Correct, it doesn’t match the regulation

4. Articulated vehicle satisfying the conditions specified in sub-paragraph (3) 4 38000

(b)the weight of the tractor unit comprised in the combination does not exceed 18000 kg;
(c)the sum of the axle weights of the semi-trailer does not exceed 20000 kg; and

And (b) should probably specify gross weight (even though 18t is the max for 2 axles).

Cuttlefish:

cav551:

Correct, it doesn’t match the regulation

And (b) should probably specify gross weight (even though 18t is the max for 2 axles).

It’s clear enough that it means 38t gcw with 18t max gross on the unit.
The idea of 38t on 4 axles is a joke in itself.From being an ideal road smasher to a braking/jacknife accident waiting to happen.
Even the spread axle makes no sense when a 2 + 2 drawbar is limited to 36t.