Nice Transport Office

Has anyone else noticed that clerks and transport office staff are now a bit nicer to drivers? (To their own of course not applicable if your going to another site).

I’ve worked for a few companies in the last few months and I’ve never had any bother or got given any crap.

Compared to say 2-3 years ago when I would be questioned if I was 5 minutes late for a delivery. Now, even if I am like an hour+ late for a delivery or I am late leaving the yard I don’t get questioned.

I work on agency mainly for a big high street chain for the past 10 years and they are spot on. But I once for a favour did a couple of days at our favourite green haulier at Crick and that was a real eye opener. Let’s just say I never drove for them again :open_mouth:

adam277:
Has anyone else noticed that clerks and transport office staff are now a bit nicer to drivers? (To their own of course not applicable if your going to another site).

I’ve worked for a few companies in the last few months and I’ve never had any bother or got given any crap.

Compared to say 2-3 years ago when I would be questioned if I was 5 minutes late for a delivery. Now, even if I am like an hour+ late for a delivery or I am late leaving the yard I don’t get questioned.

Ok, I’ll bite.

Nonsense.

I was surprised (shocked really) to be fairly treated at an Amazon RDC.
I arrived over one & a half hours early, did not wear a mask, didn’t have the official booking number & took a passenger with me - but none of that was considered a problem.
I was assisted in obtaining the correct number, let in as soon as I received it, & was shown to a coffee machine that we could both use without charge.
We were also allowed to wait in the cab or in the waiting area - our choice.
I was out of the place an hour before my official booking in time.

The signs (such as for mask wearing & reversing instruction) were quite brutal in their language & expectations but the staff on the ground clearly have more humanity than the higher management.

ScaniaUltimate:
I arrived over one & a half hours early, did not wear a mask, didn’t have the official booking number & took a passenger with me - but none of that was considered a problem.
I was assisted in obtaining the correct number, let in as soon as I received it, & was shown to a coffee machine that we could both use without charge.

The signs (such as for mask wearing & reversing instruction) were quite brutal in their language & expectations but the staff on the ground clearly have more humanity than the higher management.

Have to agree there - we do an odd load for Amazon (1 or 2 a week ) and at the start I was told I had to have the app on my phone , was less than impressed when I found out the app was tracking me so I uninstalled it . Next load I did I was expecting all sorts of sillyness because I didn’t have the app but it went just as smoothly . I do like the option of dropping the trailer and waiting in the cab ( even if you do have to surennder your keys into a plastic bag ) or go to the drivers waiting area . A lot of supermarket RDC’s could learn from Amazon - it may be different at other sites but I have nothing but good things to say about them so far .

elsa Lad:
for a favour :

No such thing…

As a favour in transport. There’s just other jobs that need doing because, the bloke that normally does it has let me down because it’s so crap and I’m hoping to get myself out of the brown stuff by asking you to do it as a ‘favour’. A favour that will never be repaid.

ScaniaUltimate:

Yep I’ve been to Sainsbury’s and Argos RDC’s recently. They have all the signs up but they have been very chill and relaxed.
I am working nights atm though so that may be why, it does seem staff are more relaxed at night. I think the pointy shoe brigade don’t patrol the yard at night.

Londontrucker123:

adam277:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Nonsense.

You may be right. But from I have seen at the places I have worked is a different story. I haven’t seen office staff rip into drivers for being late or missing deliveries etc. Maybe they have realised now that they dont have an unlimated pool of drivers to pick from?
Either way, I think it’s good.

Turned up at a yard a week early. They had just received an email their container was due in 7 days. The manager came running out and said i was a week early and to put it on a bay straight away. When he said a week early i was about to give the office both barrels. I had driven all the way from Southampton to Leicester

Arrived at a yard 5.5 hours early.
Phoned office…“will you wait”
“No”
Brought it back

yourhavingalarf:

elsa Lad:
for a favour :

No such thing…

As a favour in transport. There’s just other jobs that need doing because, the bloke that normally does it has let me down because it’s so crap and I’m hoping to get myself out of the brown stuff by asking you to do it as a ‘favour’. A favour that will never be repaid.

Yep. 100% correct.

I bet that Iceland Swindon has not changed. :unamused: