Just started pulling LST's any advise?

Just started pulling Lst’s on pallet work to hub any advise on what not to do ?

Well hopefully you have been trained on them.
Stick to the main roads. Be wary of diversions and if you get given a route try to stick to it.
If you think you need to take two lanes to go round a roundabout take two lanes.
Make sure the rear axle is not locked before leaving the yard?

Bout it really.

I do them, not much to worry about. as I said on here before, careful where you park if you go into services as you may get blocked in. Also as it will be rear steer make sure you are careful as you pull off a bay if you turn sharp you can tail swing it into another trailer.

After a couple of trips you wonder what the fuss is about. Like with any thing new, take your time and it be ok.

The only thing to watch out for really is the tail swing, which shouldn’t be too much of a problem on hub work.

Disconnect the abs Susie when reversing it will be a lot easier for you esp in tight spaces

Wtf is an LST? :neutral_face:

What the ■■■■ is an LST?
Sorry to ask, I’m new to this job. :smiley:

robroy:
What the [zb] is an LST?

Longer Semi Trailer
As being trialed.

Ed to add
donbur.co.uk/news/longer-semi-t … l-for-2022
Approved?

robroy:
What the [zb] is an LST?

We used to call them TFL trailer. :smiley:

miketdt:

They are fine in traffic, you will not notice any real difference. Better on roundabouts with the rear steer they stay in lane nicely.

Make sure your rear wheels are straight before reversing so it locks in straight.

As said the main thing to watch out for is pulling out of spaces or bays if there are things next to you. Very easy to take the front end off the wagon next to you, seen it done many times at the place where I drove them.
Be careful where you park at services, you will need a lot of free space ahead of you to pull out cleanly.

dave docwra:

robroy:
What the [zb] is an LST?

We used to call them TFL trailer. :smiley:

:smiley:

resize-Maxicamions Scania.jpg
routiers.com/pagetype.asp?r … enum=56892

Ah right, so a longer outfit…why?? :unamused:
You can keep them for me. #cantbearsed
Do you get a bite of the cherry as a driver, from the extra money being made by a bigger pay load?
What happened to the max length rule then that prevents us from having longer more roomier sleeper cabs? :unamused:
Seems to have disappeared eh?

Aye ok,.I’m a cynic. :blush: :smiley:
More of a ‘‘Been doing it too ■■■■ long’’ to care, than as what I said before ‘which was ‘New to the job’’. :laughing:

miketdt:

Volunteer to pull it if theres another load on another trailer. :smiley:

robroy:
Do you get a bite of the cherry as a driver, from the extra money being made by a bigger pay load?
What happened to the max length rule then that prevents us from having longer more roomier sleeper cabs? :unamused:

More of a ‘‘Been doing it too [zb] long’’ to care, than as what I said before ‘which was ‘New to the job’’. :laughing:

DAF XG and new XF are longer I think. New EU rules allow that. I assume the UK is following suit?

And arent *you* guilty of hauling more for the same(ish) money? When you started wasnt it 32ton gross, 40ft trl ?
(If not youre a mere kid, and should adapt quicker! No excuses!) When I started there were still a few of the older 33ft trailers knocking around that predated the 40s.
We got a bit more because of union agreements when first 38t and later 44t came in. Not a lot though.

Where do you draw a start line on what is the “correct amount” for one truck?

Franglais:

robroy:

More of a ‘‘Been doing it too [zb] long’’ to care, than as what I said before ‘which was ‘New to the job’’. :laughing:

DAF XG and new XF are longer I think. New EU rules allow that. I assume the UK is following suit?

And arent *you* guilty of hauling more for the same(ish) money? When you started wasnt it 32ton gross, 40ft trl ?
(If not youre a mere kid, and should adapt quicker! No excuses!) When I started there were still a few of the older 33ft trailers knocking around that predated the 40s.
We got a bit more because of union agreements when first 38t and later 44t came in. Not a lot though.

When 38 tonnes on 5 axles (or was it 6) replaced 32 tonnes on 4,. (83/84ish) I had my own trucks at the time, so it suited me.

robroy:

Never done 'em (nor am I interested) but I’d say doubtful. Or an extra few pennies per hour maybe for the increased hassle/risk? Nah, again - doubt it.

Slightly off topic but first time I ever seen a rigid curtainsider with THREE rear axles, at the services last week!?

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

When 38 tonnes on 5 axles (or was it 6) replaced 32 tonnes on 4,. (83/84ish) I had my own trucks at the time, so it suited me.

I`m sure your drivers appreciated the extra in their pay envelopes every week!

Thanks guy’s some useful tips to think about , as for the training and test 2 hours included hitch and drop, reversing in the yard between trailers and a roundabout driving session.

Franglais:

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

I`m sure your drivers appreciated the extra in their pay envelopes every week!

Only had the 2 at that particular time, one of which I drove myself, but I would deffo have looked after that particular driver who was with me until near to the end.
Had very little grief off the drivers that I employed, because I treated them like grown ups and looked after them when I could.
A satisfied driver is a grateful driver who reciprocates…a concept missed by many firms today. :bulb:

I met a one in a local bar the other week, he was just a young lad at the time that he worked for me, (Iwas only in my 20s myself at same time after saying that )
He is now a transport manager, and he told me he tries to look after his drivers as I did with him, so I must have done summet right eh? :sunglasses: