Tipping your own container

Was just wondering what thoughts were on this.

We had a container turn up at our yard on a Friday afternoon a week or so ago. Our goods-in staff checked his paperwork and said “You’re not booked in until five o’clock”. This was about two o’clock.

He said “Can’t you do me any earlier, I told the wife I’d take her out tonight, I’ve got to get back to Carlisle”.

So we said “No, we’ve only got one bay and there’s a container on it now which is all handball, that will take us about three hours”.

So he said “Can’t you do anything, I’ve got to get home, I’m desperate, the wife will kill me blah blah blah”.

So eventually our guy said “OK, we can tip you outside the gate but you’ll have to pallet trolley the stuff to the rear”.

As this he was outraged. He said “I don’t do that, I don’t touch the load”. He was genuinely angry at the suggestion.

So we basically said “Well, ■■■■■■■■ to you then, we’ll tip you when we’ve done the other one”. Only in a slightly more diplomatic way. And he ended up getting on the bay around five o’ clock.

So was our goods-in guy out-of-order for making this suggestion? I mean, I get the concept of container loads being no-touch but if you want to be tipped three hours before your booking time is it unreasonable to suggest that you have to be a bit flexible about it and help yourself a bit?

Harry Monk:

We had a container turn up at our yard on a Friday afternoon a week or so ago. Our goods-in staff checked his paperwork and said “You’re not booked in until five o’clock”. This was about two o’clock.

He said “Can’t you do me any earlier, I told the wife I’d take her out tonight, I’ve got to get back to Carlisle”.

So we said “No, we’ve only got one bay and there’s a container on it now which is all handball, that will take us about three hours”.

So he said “Can’t you do anything, I’ve got to get home, I’m desperate, the wife will kill me blah blah blah”.

So eventually our guy said “OK, we can tip you outside the gate but you’ll have to pallet trolley the stuff to the rear”.

As this he was outraged. He said “I don’t do that, I don’t touch the load”. He was genuinely angry at the suggestion.

So we basically said “Well, ■■■■■■■■ to you then, we’ll tip you when we’ve done the other one”. Only in a slightly more diplomatic way. And he ended up getting on the bay around five o’ clock.

So was our goods-in guy out-of-order for making this suggestion? I mean, I get the concept of container loads being no-touch but if you want to be tipped three hours before your booking time is it unreasonable to suggest that you have to be a bit flexible about it and help yourself a bit?

If I want to get finished at a better time then o have no issues doing what I can to get the job done early, if that means pallet rucking stuff to back doors so be it. But containers are usually loose boxes a lot of the time rather than on pallets so sod that for a game of soldiers. Bit if ok pallets no bother at all.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Oh and yes drivers sounds like a bit of a duck tbh. If he wants to away early then he can’t moan when they have offered to try and accommodate him.

But it shouldn’t take 3 hours on a bay to tip pallets anyway. I assume his load was on pallets?

simcor:
Oh and yes drivers sounds like a bit of a duck tbh. If he wants to away early then he can’t moan when they have offered to try and accommodate him.

But it shouldn’t take 3 hours on a bay to tip pallets anyway. I assume his load was on pallets?

We get a mix of containers in, some palletised, some handball. His was on pallets. The one on the bay was handball, his was palletised and he was tipped and away within an hour of getting on the bay but obviously he wasn’t going to be home in Carlisle (from Rugby) before late evening.

Harry Monk:

simcor:

We get a mix of containers in, some palletised, some handball. His was on pallets. The one on the bay was handball, his was palletised and he was tipped and away within an hour of getting on the bay but obviously he wasn’t going to be home in Carlisle (from Rugby) before late evening.

Then he’s a ■■■■. I’d have jumped at the chance to be offloaded outside and pump truck it to back.

Harry Monk:

So eventually our guy said "OK, we can tip you outside the gate but you’ll have to pallet trolley the stuff to the rear".

What did your guy mean by this? ( I have bolded it). You guys fork it off outside and matey boy runs it around in a pallet truck or do you mean as the box was unloaded he obviously runs it from the front to the back doors of the box? If the former I can understand his displeasure. If the latter what the hell was he moaning about. You do it all the time fgs.

Sand Fisher:

Harry Monk:

So eventually our guy said "OK, we can tip you outside the gate but you’ll have to pallet trolley the stuff to the rear".

What did your guy mean by this? ( I have bolded it). You guys fork it off outside and matey boy runs it around in a pallet truck or do you mean as the box was unloaded he obviously runs it from the front to the back doors of the box? If the former I can understand his displeasure. If the latter what the hell was he moaning about. You do it all the time fgs.

Think it’s pretty obvious they meant to the rear of the container for them to fork lift pallets off.

Lazy arrogant git that wants it all his own way. Probably all crap about the wife too.

Carryfast back trucking at last then

peterm:
Lazy arrogant git that wants it all his own way. Probably all crap about the wife too.

This. Having been in similar situations many times like many of us fact is If he was really in situation he claimed he’d be happy to do it. He just wanted to jump the queue.

Simple answer is don’t promise the wife anything on a Friday, but I would have no qualms about trolleying a load of pallets to the back of the container, its easy enough.

switchlogic:
Carryfast back trucking at last then

I’ve already told you that I’m not afraid of a bit of work.
It’s clear that there are always exceptions which prove rules.
Shifting a load of pallets to/from the back of the trailer with a pallet truck, in the case of no loading dock available and with drops/collections few and far between, isn’t the same thing as handballing a trailer load off and on at a hub every shift or labouring duties, including handball work, forming as much of the job as driving on local work.
He can forget about the driving between the Midlands - Carlisle part of the job when the plan for rail really kicks in.
All bets are off at that point regarding what is and what isn’t expected of drivers.But don’t expect any help from the unions who will be happy to chuck the road transport industry and its drivers ‘under the train’.
Be careful what you wish for.

simcor:
Think it’s pretty obvious they meant to the rear of the container for them to fork lift pallets off.

Worried about word getting back to the governor, thereby setting inconvenient precedents, bearing in mind that a lot of container work involves handball not pallets.
That’s the only logical explanation.
How many times have we heard on here of a mythical rule that container work supposedly means no interaction with the load.More like it just means that drivers know that it’s mostly handball work so they rightly just say no and the governor accepts it.( So far ).
Everyone knows that box work often means using a pallet truck to shift pallets to/from the rear of the deck to be forklifted off and on.

Palletised I’ve got no problems pump trucking something to the back of the trailer, done it loads of times on fridges because a lot of the drops I went to you tipped in the yard, not on a bay.

Loose though, nah mate not enough money in the world.

Got the response he deserved

some drivers are simply bone idle

shullbit:

And usually linked to stupidity too. How did the driver ever expect a different outcome?

the maoster:

shullbit:

And usually linked to stupidity too. How did the driver ever expect a different outcome?

All true.
And what will happen if another driver shows up, maybe with a genuine reason to get a quick tip? After this sort of attitude what will the yard staff think the next time?

If I was told 3 hr delay, No problem. I am paid by the hour. I will be in the bunk, curtains closed. Knock on the door when you are ready. Normally got a knock 20/30 mins later :open_mouth:

Franglais:

the maoster:

shullbit:

All true.
And what will happen if another driver shows up, maybe with a genuine reason to get a quick tip? After this sort of attitude what will the yard staff think the next time?

Ironically the fact that drivers like Harry can’t see the possibility/probability that he didn’t want to set any precedents, that could result in the expectation that he’s also happy to handball loose container loads as and when required, is more the point.