Hours hours and another hours question

Im trying to write myself a spreadsheet that i can use to calculate my weekly rest periods.
am i right in thinking in any 7 days i must have at least 24 hours off?

ie days 1-6 work day 7 rest is a valid week with a reduced rest?

however the question arises what if we have 2 7 day periods with a rest over the 2 periods
ie week 1 day 1-6 work day 7 rest week 2 day 1 rest week 2 day 2-7 work is this a reduced rest or full rest?

It’s not every 7 days mate, you must have a weekly rest after 144 hours of duty, or 6 x 24 hour periods, of either 45 hours which is a full weekly rest, or less than that to a minimum of 24 hours every other week, so basically, every weekly rest should be a 45, then you can reduce the next weekly rest, you must pay the reduction back by the third week, following the week you reduced, hope this makes sense to you.

Sapper

-A weekly rest period is either a regular weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period.
-A fixed week is 00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday

• You must start a weekly rest period no later than six 24 hour periods (144 hours) from the end of the last weekly rest period.
  • In any fixed week (Monday to Sunday) you must have a weekly rest period.
  • A weekly rest period that crosses 2 fixed weeks (Sunday-Monday) can be counted for either week but not both.
  • In any two fixed weeks you must have at-least one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period, in other words you must have a regular weekly rest period every second week.

In other words you must start a weekly rest period no later than 144 hours from the end of the last weekly rest period but you must also make sure that a weekly rest period can be counted for each fixed week.

Say for example you have sat sun off and start 6am mon then you need to start your weekly rest no later then 6am sun

How i do it is……
Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-fri
Week4 mon-sat
And so on
You could work every sat by finishing at 10am on sat and start 7am mon… thats 45 off

Here’s another example of what I sometimes do as i usually reduce to 35hrs

Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-sat
Week4 tue-sat
Week5 mon-sat
Week6 mon-sat
Week7 tue-sat
Week8 mon-sat rince and repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word DAY does not appear anywhere in the regs because the regs go by hours so that it can cover any shift pattern

mark1284:
Say for example you have sat sun off and start 6am mon then you need to start your weekly rest no later then 6am sun

How i do it is……
Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-fri
Week4 mon-sat
And so on
You could work every sat by finishing at 10am on sat and start 7am mon… thats 45 off

Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-sat
Week4 tue-sat
Week5 mon-sat
Week6 mon-sat
Week7 tue-sat

thats pretty much what i was doing ie 6 shifts then 5. However the issue arose when i had to have time off because of builders and then trying to make the time up

cooper1203,

Whatever 7 days is your working week doesn’t necessarily align with the fixed week, which is Monday to Sunday. Your working pattern must still include the necessary weekly rests, including making sure they fall in the fixed weeks. Essentially in a fixed week, a 45 hour rest is required, but this can be reduced to 24 hours for one week only before reverting back to a 45 hour rest.

In addition to this, you can’t work more than six days. This rule prevents the case where a worker could otherwise have a weekly rest at the beginning and end of a two week period and work all the days in-between.

Regarding a rest going over Sunday into Monday, it can only count in one of the weeks. It is possible to have back to back rests if the total rest is long enough though.

It is a lot easier just to agree a working schedule that is compliant so you can forget about all of this day to day. I used to hate being offered days of work and having to try to calculate whether I could do it or not. The most annoying is when offered single days off during the week when you need two days off and then being asked to work the weekend. Then to boot being accused of being uncooperative when you have to refuse the weekend days or say you can work them, but you will need Monday and Tuesday off. Anyway, I am working a fixed schedule at the moment, so these occasions which leave steam coming out of my ears are over for me, at least for the moment.

cooper1203:
however the question arises what if we have 2 7 day periods with a rest over the 2 periods
ie week 1 day 1-6 work day 7 rest week 2 day 1 rest week 2 day 2-7 work is this a reduced rest or full rest?

Imo no this cannot be done as you’re attempting to count your week 2 rest day as both week 1’s 45hr and week 2’s 24hr which is not allowed, (as Tachograph has stated)
In your scenario, your week 2 should look like
R, W, W, W, W, W, R.
Though I could be wrong. :smiley:

You appear to be trying to live to work, with the occasional annoyance of some other obligation interfering with that goal. That is not a good thing.

cav551:
You appear to be trying to live to work, with the occasional annoyance of some other obligation interfering with that goal. That is not a good thing.

He is obviously not bone idle, nothing wrong with that.

cooper1203:

mark1284:

How i do it is……
Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-fri
Week4 mon-sat
And so on

Week1 mon-fri
Week2 mon-sat
Week3 mon-sat
Week4 tue-sat
Week5 mon-sat
Week6 mon-sat
Week7 tue-sat

thats pretty much what i was doing ie 6 shifts then 5. However the issue arose when i had to have time off because of builders and then trying to make the time up

Yeah exactly
I know i need 55hrs rest this weekend. So I could work Saturday again then take sun mon off (or nightshift mon)