New Auto to manual licence law proposal

LINK
At present any manual licence will upgrade D DE C CE auto to manual (including all the sub categories)
If only got C1 C1E D1 D1E BE in auto than at present having a B manual will not upgrade those and that is what this proposal is designed to change

Money Money …got to pick a pocket or to…this lot are making more money than the hauliers :imp:

ROG:
LINK
At present any manual licence will upgrade D DE C CE auto to manual (including all the sub categories)
If only got C1 C1E D1 D1E BE in auto than at present having a B manual will not upgrade those and that is what this proposal is designed to change

i thought if i passed my car licence in a manual then regardless of passing c/c+e in an auto i could drive a manual varient automaticaly as it currently stands.

what is the change?

cooper1203:

ROG:
LINK

i thought if i passed my car licence in a manual then regardless of passing c/c+e in an auto i could drive a manual varient automaticaly as it currently stands.

Yes. Rog’s post is about something subtly different

cooper1203:

Correct

nick12399:
what is the change?

Pass B manual
Pass C1 D1 C1E D1E BE auto
End up with just B in manual with rest auto
The change is that all those autos will end up as manuals

fuse:
Money Money …got to pick a pocket or to…this lot are making more money than the hauliers :imp:

Eh? They’re talking about automatically giving you manual entitlement on your HGV licence for free if you took it in an auto without any need for any lessons or any test. How is that picking your pocket?

Are you a labour voter or a remainer or both? They tend to come out with stupid comments like yours when the government are putting in place something that’s doing completely the opposite for no reason more than “Muh evil Tory Brexit scum innit mate?”

can I get a bit of what your on …pretty strong.

ROG:

cooper1203:

Correct

nick12399:
what is the change?

Pass B manual
Pass C1 D1 C1E D1E BE auto
End up with just B in manual with rest auto
The change is that all those autos will end up as manuals

To be honest, most trucks are auto now. And pretty much all the new trucks are auto unless someone specifically requests a manual. Even then, how long will they keep giving the manual option when only a few request it?
I think if you can drive a car manual then you will be able to drive a manual truck anyway. The only manual I have ever driven is 4 over 4. Which from what I have seen is what pretty much everyone uses now. Although at Tesco and Co-op they are pretty much all gone now.

4 over 4 are nice to drive. Something quite satisfying about driving a manual truck. I would not want to daily drive a manual truck though.

It looks like a sensible change on the face of it - you either understand gears or you don’t.

If you do then once upon a time it may have been necessary to learn how particular gearboxes worked but they don’t really exist anymore.

If you don’t then it may be possible to be taught that understanding and then apply it to different vehicles.

If you can’t be taught that understanding then this change won’t affect you.

My daughter who is a fairly bright girl with a science degree doesn’t “get” gears whether they are on a pushbike, moped or car, she just can’t do it. It’s a practical skill that I and others have tried to teach her and been unable. Giving her a licence to drive a geared LGV won’t change that - she still won’t be able to actually do it. (I do understand that is not what is being proposed - that would be silly).