Tacho card expired .. new one not turned up yet

Hello

A quick question , as all I can find doing a search relates to lost / stolen cards.

My card expires at midnight tonight. I have an acknowledgement email from DVSA to show that I have applied for a replacement.

But

Can I drive without it ? keeping manual records ■■

Thanks in advance

Has your DVSA email got an contact name/number? As far as I could find, there is no exemption for an expired card, unlike a lost/damaged one - the exemptions do not include expired unless its covered elsewhere. Even using the lost/stolen exemption, that only lasts a maximum of 15 calendar days only.
There is the usual guidance that no card = no drive.
In the absence of being able to quote an exemption, if you decide to continue to drive then there is the risk/likelihood of being penalised.
As an OD then the decision is yours, as an employee then firstly the employer should be aware of this already and secondly, discuss it with the employer before driving after midnight.
Sorry bit can’t come up with better or more definite news.

I did an on-line card renewal very recently - they turned it around in less than five days.

I was very surprised as the very same outfit has been nobbing about renewing my driving licence for the last nine weeks and it still hasn’t showed up yet. :open_mouth:

No you can’t drive until your new card arrives. The exemption is for lost/stolen cards allowing 15days.

dodged600:
Can I drive without it ? keeping manual records ?

As has been said the answer is no you cannot drive without your driver card.

If you decide to chance it, and I’m certainly not suggesting you should, but if you do you should not rely on manual records, use the tachograph in the usual way and do vehicle printouts at the start and end of each shift, and don’t forget to write your name on them and sign them.

However as has been said, it is an offence for you to drive without a valid DQC and the offence does carry a fine, though off hand I can’t remember what the fine is.

tachograph:

dodged600:
However as has been said, it is an offence for you to drive without a valid DQC and the offence does carry a fine, though off hand I can’t remember what the fine is.

Good point so I had a look and think the enforcement sanction policy shows it as £100 fine. Mmm not too bad some may say, but it also shows a a reason for “FUE” follow up enquiries, which is posh speak for a visit the the operator by DVsA. I’d suggest that the operator who allowed a driver to drive without a Card would likely be questions about how they manage the rest of their operations.
Well, midnight has passed, so I wonder what the OP did.

How many weeks ago did you apply for a replacement?

tachograph:

dodged600:

If you decide to chance it, and I’m certainly not suggesting you should, but if you do you should not rely on manual records, use the tachograph in the usual way and do vehicle printouts at the start and end of each shift, and don’t forget to write your name on them and sign them.

Is it just me who sees the irony that “tachograph” is talking about driving with an expired DQC when the issue is an expired tachograph card??

ytrehodluap:

tachograph:

dodged600:

Is it just me who sees the irony that “tachograph” is talking about driving with an expired DQC when the issue is an expired tachograph card??

ooops my bad, though from my comments regarding printouts ec’t I think it’s fairly obvious I meant driver card not DQC :blush: :blush: :blush:

It’s quite clear on dvsa website if you spend 5 mins reading it, you can not drive at all if your card has expired.

DO NOT DRIVE

You can drive if you forget your tacho card tho cant you? Thats what I was told anyway.

No you can’t ^^^^

JeffA:
You can drive if you forget your tacho card tho cant you? Thats what I was told anyway.

At your own peril

JeffA:

'kin ell and they say there’s no need for the DCPC and it should be scrapped.

Whoever told you that you can you need to stop listening to a single word that person says and do not ask them for advice. The only way for you to do it would be to state it has been lost or stolen and pay for a replacement and throw your existing card in the bin.

I’d imagine an angry email to DVSA regarding the non arrival of your replacement tachograph card would at very least make you feel a bit better about the whole situation if nothing else, but I presume you might be told you have to pay them again for a new one.