Fridge trailers - washing out

Anyone on here runs with reefers?

Am interested in advice on interior wash outs; frequency etc also location of wash out facilities. Most of the stuff I have seen is US based. I wonder if the frequency of wash outs is product dependent?

I’m not aware…

Of any dedicated fridge wash out facilities. Maybe the tankwash places offer it as a service I don’t know?

Our fleet is washed out on a rota basis every week or so. If you can find somewhere with a long enough hose then raise the unit, drop the trailer suspension and have fun.

Sand Fisher:
Anyone on here runs with reefers?

Am interested in advice on interior wash outs; frequency etc also location of wash out facilities. Most of the stuff I have seen is US based. I wonder if the frequency of wash outs is product dependent?

We carry a 30litre drum fill it with water add a bit of detergent and throw it in the back, shut the doors drive to the reload address with fridge at +5 stop just short of destination give the floor a quick squeegee put in a few drops of zoflora and job done, A bit of scrubbing may be required if you’ve been transporting hanging as the grease from the carcass’ can be hard to remove and where the necks hit the sides it leaves a greasy residue so a proper wash is best for hanging but for all other products a load of water in the back followed by a drive will generally be good enough.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m not aware…

Of any dedicated fridge wash out facilities. Maybe the tankwash places offer it as a service I don’t know?

Our fleet is washed out on a rota basis every week or so. If you can find somewhere with a long enough hose then raise the unit, drop the trailer suspension and have fun.

Any site that has a truck wash will wash out the inside of a fridge for you if you ask.

I have seen fridges washing out in tank cleaning stations on the continent mainly but seen some in this country, it ranges from a hot water spinner on a tripod with drainage facilities to a YTS Oik in greasy waterproofs, pressure washer and a puddle in the corner of the yard.

Only time fridges ever get washed out in real world is when there’s blood on floor. Some supermarket fridges are monumentally grubby inside! If not a supermarket and a small or medium sized fridge operator generally just needs to be kept clean and odour free. Zoflora is great for that.

Wheel Nut:
to a YTS Oik in greasy waterproofs, pressure washer and a puddle in the corner of the yard.

You must have visited the yard I work out of [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The inside of our fridges are quite frankly an embarrassment. Nobody seems to care, not our place and certainly not our customers. If I ever run back in with an empty on and have time to kill I’ll back it into the wash bay and use the cold water lance to blast out the smashed bits of pallets, shrinkwrap and other bits of crap that litter the floor.

Ironically the trailers of ours that are on the pet food contract are scrupulously clean and are inspected before each load!

As others have mentioned, carry a 25L container of water and a small bottle of Zoflora which you can buy in supermarket, very cheap and works brilliantly. Chuck the Zoflora in the water, raise the suspension on unit and drop it on the trailer to make a decent runoff slope. Wash down from headboard end then squeegee the lot out. Reset suspension & refill container for next time in case you arrive somewhere you can’t get water easily, especially in middle of night. If heading to load ambient after washing then run fridge at 0 or less on the way to collection point to kill any remaining odour. Switch off fridge as you walk around to open doors before backing onto bay.

I used to run fresh fish and if no onsite wash facility washed out after every run like this, as soon as tipped. Fresh fish after gutting leaves bloody/watery liquid all over the floor after tipping so deffo necessary.

J

I carry dolavs of beef and they drip blood all over. Real pain to get off if left to dry.
Chickens fresh from slaughter are the worst, leaves a slimy stinky juice all over the floor, the smell stays forever if you don’t use a disinfectant as said.
Lucky most of my drops have a wash setup and let me rinse out there if needed.

In the past I have seen supermarket fridge trailers with actual mushrooms growing from the cracks in the corners, disgusting.

jar of coffee liberally sprinkled from the headboard to the back doors after giving the insides a soaking, shut doors & go for a coffee/shower/ect…open doors after & wash out with a fresh dose of watter…clean as a bean :wink:

Soft fruit is particularly susceptible to contamination from odours lingering in a fridge. A bucket of jollop and a quick hose down followed by a squirt of air freshener is not going to be sufficient. Having said that the inside of some supermarket fridges has to be seen to be believed.

Zoflora being concentrated and used in washing water has got me loaded with many a fridge that should be condemned as a hazard to health

Edit- just noticed someone already said exactly that!