Double deck trailers - Pallet boys - Internal straps

Could someone advise what is the point of these internal straps? Are they just for decoration? :smiley:

I cant see how on earth they restrain any load to the bed, so how does DVSA, plod, Dft etc sanction their use. Or is there one rule for single deck curtain siders and one for deckers?

For the most part, the strap rails are just inboard of the curtain rail so the ‘pull’ if you like is virtually vertical. I appreciate that the top deck max weight is 3.3 ton (was on the one I had this week), but was intrigued how the hell you strap anything to the bed.

What would be better is two sets of rails either side of the centreline on the top and bottom decks to the rear of the swan neck, then at least you have half a chance of securing lighter loads. Basically the straps at the mo do nothing.

The rules are the same as everyone else. Ceva will have you using ratchet straps, they won’t let you use internals. Internals aren’t for strapping a load to the bed, never were. It’s more about ensuring they won’t move side to side or front to back.

Conor:
The rules are the same as everyone else. Ceva will have you using ratchet straps, they won’t let you use internals. Internals aren’t for strapping a load to the bed, never were. It’s more about ensuring they won’t move side to side or front to back.

Maybe but you cant get any purchase on them because of the angle of fall. The only operator who did it a bit different that I have come across is B&Q.

Like you (when on Howdens) I used to cross strap the returns (mainly pallets). Bellshill didn’t like you using the straps in case the board boys didn’t have enough !! In the end would skag four straps and ratchets just in case.

They used to moan saying I was slow, but hell its my licence.

On double deck trailers the best thing to do is ratchet strap anything on the bottom deck and just use the internals on the upper deck. Anything going up top should only be light, and if under 400kg can be secured by internals.
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
On double deck trailers the best thing to do is ratchet strap anything on the bottom deck and just use the internals on the upper deck. Anything going up top should only be light, and if under 400kg can be secured by internals.

Thanks Terry.

By the way is there any legislation coming in on the weight of pallets ie labelling? TBH a lot of pallet’s have a weight displayed by the pallet boys network on them (its how they charge in part), but not easy to find depending on how the pallet and its ticket was loaded (ticket facing inward, rear, forward or outward).

Sand Fisher:

Terry Cooksey:

Thanks Terry.

By the way is there any legislation coming in on the weight of pallets ie labelling? TBH a lot of pallet’s have a weight displayed by the pallet boys network on them (its how they charge in part), but not easy to find depending on how the pallet and its ticket was loaded (ticket facing inward, rear, forward or outward).

It’s not always accurate either as mainly its a customer inputting that data and it doesn’t have time time be verified (unless it’s very obviously wrong).

Very occasionally in a dead spot during the day I’ve seen Palletforce weighing a sample using weighing forks but there’s absolutely zero chance of that happening during peak hours when things are flying in and out and all about.

Same thing regards to pallet spaces. Many times the one space pallet has been oversized or a double pallet and so on but its then up to the operator to prove it and change it when many don’t have the time or inclination and its easier to let it slide.

Im guessing if you strap a pallet of cans of pop its gunna cause a mess whereas an internal would stop it tipping off the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
Im guessing if you strap a pallet of cans of pop its gunna cause a mess whereas an internal would stop it tipping off the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A ratchet strap only needs to be tight enough to prevent a load from moving under the normal conditions of transit. Loads of people seem to think that they have to be tightened as much as possible, but if it is tight enough to damage the load then it is too tight.

Our deckers have nets, they don’t hold anything in place though, it seems they’re more for stopping things coming through the curtains