Advice on 6 year old DR30

Hi All

Im currently in the process of obtaining my class 1 licence with the view to becoming a tramper. 6 years ago whilst going through a messy divorce i did the stupid thing and left the house after a row when id had a few pints and subsiquently paid the price by getting pulled over and after trying to blag the police I landed myself with a ban and an DR30.
Its something im really really not proud of and have not done anything as stupid before or since.

My question is will it still be possible to obtain a job as a class 1 hgv driver with this conviction. I know that i no longer have to declare this to insurance companies as its over 5 years old however it will still show on my licence until it 2026 so I will obviously be delaring it to any prospective employers.

I have no points on my licence and have no other convictions of any kind. is this a case where im just going to have to wait or are there any companys out there that will take me on should I present well to them?

There are forums but they’ll be at the bottom end of things. Given you’ll be a new pass with a chequered history you might struggle.

For reference an DR code is “spent” under rehabilitation of offenders act after 5 years but it stays on the licence for q2 years.

toonsy:
There are forums but they’ll be at the bottom end of things. Given you’ll be a new pass with a chequered history you might struggle.

For reference an DR code is “spent” under rehabilitation of offenders act after 5 years but it stays on the licence for q2 years.

Yeah I was under the impression that as it was spent I’d be ok but then I realised it still shows on my licence and will do until 11 years have passed. One of those I suppose il have to wait a few more years before getting a driving job. Still going to get my test done and will stay in date with my CPC whilst applying to as many firms as possible in the mean time. Pretty lucky as I have a decent Ish job working for the civil service so luckily I can support the family until when I can get a driving job

Mikew1989:

toonsy:

Yeah I was under the impression that as it was spent I’d be ok but then I realised it still shows on my licence and will do until 11 years have passed. One of those I suppose il have to wait a few more years before getting a driving job. Still going to get my test done and will stay in date with my CPC whilst applying to as many firms as possible in the mean time. Pretty lucky as I have a decent Ish job working for the civil service so luckily I can support the family until when I can get a driving job

By all means try. Any experience is good experience.

You’ll get a job, just not with one of the blue-chip companies, the type where you need an induction and a certificate to operate the microwave oven in the staff canteen.

As long as it’s fair pay il work for any firm to get me started

If you post again when you pass your Class 1 and say roughly whereabouts you are located I’m sure other members will suggest places to try.

Harry Monk:
If you post again when you pass your Class 1 and say roughly whereabouts you are located I’m sure other members will suggest places to try.

Will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping someone will take a chance on me as I’ve been full time employed by the military and now the government since the age of 16, have no other discrepancies on my licence or criminal convictions. Never been sick from work and always been punctual etc. Il post again hopefully in jan when I’ve obtained my licence

Mikew1989:

Harry Monk:

Will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping someone will take a chance on me as I’ve been full time employed by the military and now the government since the age of 16, have no other discrepancies on my licence or criminal convictions. Never been sick from work and always been punctual etc. Il post again hopefully in jan when I’ve obtained my licence

If you’re ex mob it’s definitely a bonus; might even garner you a bit of sympathy with regard to the DD, sensible bosses will always be happy to recruit ex-forces drivers for the simple reason that they’re trained to both think for themselves and to follow orders. Add to that they can read a map. Win all round; good luck mate.

Mikew1989:

Stay on the civil service, you will be better off… do a day here and there but I promise you, civil service is so much better. Depending what dept your in.

discoman:

Mikew1989:

Stay on the civil service, you will be better off… do a day here and there but I promise you, civil service is so much better. Depending what dept your in.

The job I do isnt too bad but the pay is pretty poor at £26,500. Ive always enjoyed driving and beleive Il enjoy being a class one driver more than i do the job im in. That and im lead to believe if you put the hours in you can earn a good wage?

Mikew1989:
That and im lead to believe if you put the hours in you can earn a good wage?

Don’t confuse a good wage with earning lots of money Mike. £1000 a week is easily achievable nowadays but upon closer scrutiny is actually £500 per week but you’ve done two weeks work within one week to achieve it. Nothing particularly wrong with that per se, but personally I’ve always strived to do the fewest possible hours I can in order to achieve what I monetarily require.

the maoster:

Mikew1989:
That and im lead to believe if you put the hours in you can earn a good wage?

Don’t confuse a good wage with earning lots of money Mike. £1000 a week is easily achievable nowadays but upon closer scrutiny is actually £500 per week but you’ve done two weeks work within one week to achieve it. Nothing particularly wrong with that per se, but personally I’ve always strived to do the fewest possible hours I can in order to achieve what I monetarily require.

I totally understand that, ive got a young family to provide for so will happily put the hours in to provide them with as much as I can. As ive said earlier Im ex mob so dont have masses of qualifications to walk into well paid white collar jobs. Driving seems to be a good earner if you are willing to put the hours in so i really want to try it should i be able to get a job

discoman:

Mikew1989:

It would drive me round the twist to sit at a desk all day.

Harry Monk:

discoman:

Mikew1989:

It would drive me round the twist to sit at a desk all day.

All bets are off now in the mainly local distribution/warehousing sector operation which the government has planned for the industry.
The hourly wage rates for factory machine operator type jobs for example, if combined with minimum part time working, are starting to look attractive by comparison.
I think there’s a point where the respective downside thresholds blur and cross.
5 days a week working in a factory was never sustainable for many people especially if like me couldn’t hack being shut in an inside job.But starts looking a lot different at 2-3 days a week max and there are CNC operator jobs where that type of shift pattern could be economically viable for many workers.