HGV use for personal reasons - moving house

Morning all.

My boss has given me the use of our 26t rigid to move house with. My question relates to tacho card use. I think I have to use my card. But can I set the tach to out of scope?

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

No tacho rule exemption as the vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes so you will need to use digicard in the same way as when on usual job

ROG:
No tacho rule exemption as the vehicle is over 7.5 tonnes so you will need to use digicard in the same way as when on usual job

But will the (un)loading be Rest, as free to dispose of your time as you choose?

madmackem:
Morning all.

My boss has given me the use of our 26t rigid to move house with. My question relates to tacho card use. I think I have to use my card. But can I set the tach to out of scope?

Thanks

Put L plates on it then no need for a tacho as training vehicles are exempt i believe they are.

discoman:

madmackem:
Morning all.

Thanks

Put L plates on it then no need for a tacho as training vehicles are exempt i believe they are.

More stupid and irrelevant comments. Bravo.

Some years ago I hired an 18 tonner to move house (our house contents had previously weighed in around 9 T - those antique pianos are a hefty weight!)
Just to be on the safe side I stuck my card in and kept to the rules. As for breaks/rest/other work, I just policed myself :sunglasses:

stu675:

ROG:

But will the (un)loading be Rest, as free to dispose of your time as you choose?

How long a period are you talking about - 1 hour / 9 hours / 11 hours ■■?

I’ve hired a rigid to move house before. It was actualy cheaper than hiring out a car at the time, as the weekly hire for a rigid was (still is?) cheaper than a one-week car rental… cost me £235 including VAT if memory serves…

I needed to make three trips, so it didn’t make sense to only hire “for a day”, not that I could find anywhere that’ll rent anything out larger than a puddle jumper on a daily hire basis anyways… The final trip was on the morning (11am) that we were going to be moved out, and it is amazing how much stuff you didn’t realized you’d so far left behind at that point, contents of loft, backs of cupboard stuff, and even the contents of the garden shed, in my case… I’m glad I had the truck I’d hired for the entire week, put it that way! :open_mouth:

As for “putting your card in it”, I used a paper tacho, and no one ever asked to see it, including RM whom I was working for at the time.

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:

Why does that matter? :confused: :neutral_face:

stu675:

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:

You asked if it can be used as REST which means it must conform to rest rules
Or did you mean BREAK :question:

ROG:

A rest period is defined as an uninterrupted period of time when a driver can do anything they want except from doing any kind of work whatsoever. They must have access to a bed. Therefore if they choose to load a truck parked outside their house as to them it is a restful activity, and they have access to a bed inside the house should they choose to use it, it would qualify as rest. Nobody comes and checks you are tucked up inside a bed!

stu675:

ROG:

A rest period is defined as an uninterrupted period of time when a driver can do anything they want except from doing any kind of work whatsoever. They must have access to a bed. Therefore if they choose to load a truck parked outside their house as to them it is a restful activity, and they have access to a bed inside the house should they choose to use it, it would qualify as rest. Nobody comes and checks you are tucked up inside a bed!

It cannot count as a rest period unless it is at least 9 hours long

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:

It cannot count as a rest period unless it is at least 9 hours long

But the loading doesn’t need to be 9 hrs long, just add it to other Rest activities.

I’ve done many house moves in transits or lutons which were lots of short trips, and once Surrey to Glasgow, and back again in a 7.5T which was obviously one trip. A 26T I would imagine would be lots and lots of packing but just one short trip.

if it is less than 9 hours then it is break not rest

ROG:

I’ll spell it out then.
Loading for four hours.
Go inside and have your dinner for one hour
Couple more hours loading
An hours Tv
Go to bed for six hours.

Compliant daily rest?

You two are at cross purposes.

Rog is quite correct to say that an hour’s rest, in fact anything less than nine hours, should properly be called a break.

However, you are totally wrong to say that the situation you describe makes up a legally compliant rest period.

If we’re going to be pedantic, the scenario (assuming you did a bit of driving at the start) would be; bit of driving, four hours other work, one hour break. Followed by two hours other work, one hours break, six hours rest. So you still need a minimum three hours more REST before you can legally start driving again. Loading, even if it’s your own stuff, is still other work.

The regulations clearly state that the MINIMUM period of UNINTERRUPTED rest in any given 24 hour period has to be NINE hours. The only way you can use a break of more than three hours to any purpose whatsoever is when you’re doing a split daily rest, and then the second period has to be a minimum nine hours. And you’d only do that to avoid burning up a reduced daily rest later in the week.

Another point to add. I am assuming you are doing this over a weekend; in which case, given that you’re using your digicard, you need to ensure that you complete the relevant minimum weekly rest requirement before starting work again on Monday. Hopefully you already know this.

Sidevalve:

Rog is quite correct to say that an hour’s rest, in fact anything less than nine hours, should properly be called a break.

However, you are totally wrong to say that the situation you describe makes up a legally compliant rest period.

If we’re going to be pedantic, the scenario (assuming you did a bit of driving at the start) would be; bit of driving, four hours other work, one hour break. Followed by two hours other work, one hours break, six hours rest. So you still need a minimum three hours more REST before you can legally start driving again. Loading, even if it’s your own stuff, is still other work.

The regulations clearly state that the MINIMUM period of UNINTERRUPTED rest in any given 24 hour period has to be NINE hours. The only way you can use a break of more than three hours to any purpose whatsoever is when you’re doing a split daily rest, and then the second period has to be a minimum nine hours. And you’d only do that to avoid burning up a reduced daily rest later in the week.

Another point to add. I am assuming you are doing this over a weekend; in which case, given that you’re using your digicard, you need to ensure that you complete the relevant minimum weekly rest requirement before starting work again on Monday. Hopefully you already know this.

If you are moving the contents of your own home, (or someone else’s, as long as you are not paid) none of this applies. The regulations only cover paid work. The size of the vehicle is irrelevant, only the purpose. You don’t even need to record the hours.

stu675:

ROG:

I’ll spell it out then.
Loading for four hours.
Go inside and have your dinner for one hour
Couple more hours loading
An hours Tv
Go to bed for six hours.

Compliant daily rest?

I would say yes because what you are doing between any driving is not commercial but is a chosen activity

Sidevalve:

I just can’t agree. Nowhere does it say you need to be tucked up in bed asleep to take REST. You could do an ironman triathlon overnight if you choose to. You could self build your own house if you want to these are all spending your own time as you see fit. Including packing your own stuff into a lorry outside your house. It is not work if it is not for commercial gain. (I could agree voluntary Work is other work) another example gardening in your own garden for 9 hours = rest.

stu675:

Sidevalve:

I just can’t agree. Nowhere does it say you need to be tucked up in bed asleep to take REST. You could do an ironman triathlon overnight if you choose to. You could self build your own house if you want to these are all spending your own time as you see fit. Including packing your own stuff into a lorry outside your house. It is not work if it is not for commercial gain. (I could agree voluntary Work is other work) another example gardening in your own garden for 9 hours = rest.

You are quite right to say that you don’t need to be in bed, asleep.

And yes, you’re in your own free time doing as you wish to do.

However; at no point in your scenario do you say when you’ve pulled your card or put it onto “bed” to signify that your shift has ended. And in your scenario, you only specify six hours in bed.

NOW do you see where I’m coming from?